KAEO: Javohn Garcia

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Javohn Garcia

Post by 69MG » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:51 am

I like JG and wish him well. I'm just not sure how he and McCall got along and that led to his up and down usage. He needs consistent minutes. We'll miss his athleticism but there are tons of guards in the portal and I have confidence that Frank will pull in a couple.

Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic but I doubt that this is the only player to transfer. It's the way things are these days.

Minutemaniac74
Senior

Post by Minutemaniac74 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:51 am

semi-surprised by this, as he was one of the four players at Martin's introductory press conference

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:07 am

They have had time to work with him the new staff probably provided clarity on what way to go

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:09 am

I liked a lot about him. This is not great to lose a player with his tools.

Good luck JG!
Refuse To Lose!!!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:12 am

IMO, this signals an overhaul. A Big-name coach will attract folks, it's early.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:15 am

^ Can you provide more detail on why this signals an overhaul? It's one player so far, and we may end up with an overhaul of the roster, but just curious as to why JG's departure signals that for you.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:16 am

Bummer. It never really came together for him (guessing that probably is no one’s fault in particular) but you could see glimpses (in some games more than glimpses) and he gave us some elements we were missing. Thought he would be in line for 25-30 minutes a night if he took to the new staff.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:19 am

Any other year I'd be crushed by this. I'm just going to trust the new staff and wish JG the best.

UMass1991
Junior

Post by UMass1991 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:36 am

Juice Stand wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:15 am ^ Can you provide more detail on why this signals an overhaul? It's one player so far, and we may end up with an overhaul of the roster, but just curious as to why JG's departure signals that for you.
I will take this in a different direction. The roster needs to be overhauled or did I fall asleep and miss the A10 titles or invites to the NIT/NCAA tourney these past years

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:51 am

UMass1991 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:36 am

I will take this in a different direction. The roster needs to be overhauled or did I fall asleep and miss the A10 titles or invites to the NIT/NCAA tourney these past years

I get it, I do. But we almost all agree that the common thread for the lack of success was the coach. For me, JG was one of the few I hoped would stick around/be kept: Noah, TJ, JG and Dibaji. I feel/felt they could all grow as players under the new staff vs what we've seen. The roster could still have been overhauled with these guys remaining.

That's just my take on it. Essentially I felt like I saw enough flashes from JG that I felt he could really take a step up under the right coaching.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:03 am

UMass1991 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:36 am
Juice Stand wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:15 am ^ Can you provide more detail on why this signals an overhaul? It's one player so far, and we may end up with an overhaul of the roster, but just curious as to why JG's departure signals that for you.
We were at all those games - why weren't you :wink:

I agree with you. It is a bit of chicken and egg. Were the players not good enough or was the coach(ing) not good enough. I suspect the answer is probably some of both.

FM wants guys like Lou Roe not like Ajmal Basit. Not calling JG soft by any means.

It is really hard for man y players to have a new coach with different expectations come in whom you did not sigh up to play for. I suspect it is as simple as that for JG. No ill will towards the kid. Good luck.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:14 am

The program is being overhauled, we'll see new players, assistants, perhaps other staff. He knows what he wants, and is well established. I d not mean 'demolished', nor 'housecleaning', more like 'reconstituted/reinvented in detail' throughout the program, if you prefer.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:25 am

Got it, thanks for the response Econ. I agree that the program is in the process of being overhauled, just hoping that we don't see too much of a roster overhaul. I am of the opinion that these are quality players that can still develop, and the issue in the past had been coaching. I think Frank Martin can get more out of these guys than McCall did, and I'd like to see if they are able to improve with new coaching.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:40 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:25 am Got it, thanks for the response Econ. I agree that the program is in the process of being overhauled, just hoping that we don't see too much of a roster overhaul. I am of the opinion that these are quality players that can still develop, and the issue in the past had been coaching. I think Frank Martin can get more out of these guys than McCall did, and I'd like to see if they are able to improve with new coaching.
Juice I recommend you not get to emotionally connected to this roster. I completely understand the sentiment, but we are all going to have to trust the process on this. If that means 10 new bodies - then so be it. If it means 2 new bodies.... same deal.

Regardless of skill set, if they do not have whatever "It" is as Martin defines it, they are not the right player for his system.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:16 pm

Wish the kid the best. Think there is a lot he needs to work on. If he is not being cut (which I doubt), hope he is not getting bad advice. Landing spots could be a LIU Brooklyn NEC/America East. Would be surprised if he plays at a higher level.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC