KAEO: Javohn Garcia

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: KAEO: Javohn Garcia

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:27 am

Gak, that's right. News on that was kind of quiet, and I forgot about it.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:31 am

I'm rooting hard for him, but unless injuries happen, he's going to be coming off the bench all year. Hopefully, he heals up, gets a good 15 minutes a game and can confidently get to the hoop while facing generally non-starters on the other team.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:56 am

JG is super talented. If his head is in the right place, and he continues to work hard, he'll be fine. How long can you stay positive while riding the bench? That's the big question. I expect him to see more playing time against smaller lineups and guard oriented teams, and wouldn't be surprised if he got into today's game against UNC-Greeensboro since it's a less than 24 hour turnaround and Noah played 36 minutes last night. I'm rooting for him, for sure.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:16 pm

OK, time to bring this up again.

In tonight's loss, Kolton got more instances of spot duty, while JG didn't get off the bench. Second straight game with zero minutes.

CJ Kelly fouled out, TJ didn't seem to have it tonight, Kolton brings energy in moments but little offense, I don't get why JG didn't see any action.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:19 pm

I agree. Something is wrong here.

JG can draw fouls, handle the ball, pass and score. Mitchell can handle the ball, that's it.
Refuse To Lose!!!

umassbaseball
Sophomore

Post by umassbaseball » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:44 pm

Mccall postgame on JG: "Javohn is not hurt. He's gotta make a commitment to do all the necessary things that go into being able to play. Being a student athlete you gotta stay on top of everything academically."

Per @MLBergman_ on twitter

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:52 pm

umassbaseball wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:44 pm Mccall postgame on JG: "Javohn is not hurt. He's gotta make a commitment to do all the necessary things that go into being able to play. Being a student athlete you gotta stay on top of everything academically."

Sounds like the end of javohn as a minuteman is coming. Maybe Cheese could help him out with his studies. Oh wait nevermind
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:12 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:52 pm
umassbaseball wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:44 pm Mccall postgame on JG: "Javohn is not hurt. He's gotta make a commitment to do all the necessary things that go into being able to play. Being a student athlete you gotta stay on top of everything academically."

Sounds like the end of javohn as a minuteman is coming. Maybe Cheese could help him out with his studies. Oh wait nevermind
Not necessarily gone. The semester just ended. Seems he hasn’t played much since mid terms. So, he likely is waiting on final grades for the term. McCall gave Holloway a second chance etc.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:23 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:12 pm
PreecherJenkins wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:52 pm

Not necessarily gone. The semester just ended. Seems he hasn’t played much since mid terms. So, he likely is waiting on final grades for the term. McCall gave Holloway a second chance etc.
We'll see. Does not seem to be the same as Holloway, who played in every game until he was not allowed due to his poor grades. This guy is getting the get focused talk. Maybe McCall is handling it differently. Do we really think this guy is the difference?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:30 pm

Holloway got another chance because we had no one else to go to. We desperately needed him, and we still only went 11-21.

JG has competition he has to out-work.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:38 pm

^Holloway also had a child to take care of.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:47 pm

When I taught at UMass we would get frequent requests from the person who keeps track of the team academically to give progress updates. If they fail an exam, athletics wants to know right away.

My sense is he failed a test. It was reported. And he got benched and had practice limited until after finals to make sure he will be eligible for conference play.

In the long run, probably a good thing he was held back.

But we really need him to get his act together. Cmon JG. Hit those books, buddy!!!
Refuse To Lose!!!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:55 am

Held out, not held back. I was listening, not watching, but I think he was dressed and on the bench tonight. If he's not going to play, why not just leave him back on campus to spend the time studying?

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:42 am

^I'm sure Garcia is getting all the help he needs in terms of tutoring and extra study time. I'd prefer that he still travels to keep them all together as a team, even if he's not going to play. That comradery is important. If he's just ditching classes and not putting any effort in, then that's a different story but I'm going to give JG the benefit of the doubt.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:11 am

McCall also said Javohn is a good kid, but there's a certain standard he needs to be held to. I don't think this is an Earth Shattering thing. Good for the reporters for asking the question and for McCall being truthful about it. He didn't throw him under the bus, I'm sure they've had conversations about what is expected. Maybe he transfers after this season, maybe not. But if his grades are in order, I'm willing to bet you'll see him plenty as the season goes along.