2022 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
GOODY
Junior

Re: 2022 Recruiting

Post by GOODY » Sat May 21, 2022 6:06 pm

Very excited about this recruit. Lots of upside.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:21 pm

Not sure how much time he will get this year — seems like he needs to get a bit stronger like many freshman — but sounds like he’s got quite a bit of potential and he gives us something we don’t really have with the slashing at his size. I think I saw on Twitter that Martin was looking at him when he was still at SC so this isn’t a last minute type of thing.

Both freshman seem like good bets — I think I am actually most excited about the Keon Thompson dude of all our newcomers which may seem like a weird opinion to have, I don’t know.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sun May 22, 2022 10:19 am

^ The clip I saw of him, I'd have to agree!

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sun May 22, 2022 4:24 pm

Still three scholarships to go. This is an almost entirely new team.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun May 22, 2022 6:44 pm

capezona wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:24 pm Still three scholarships to go. This is an almost entirely new team.
Is Tyriek Weeks in this class? I know he is not as flashy as TJ. Did UMass offer him though?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun May 22, 2022 7:18 pm

^ He was offered by MM in 2020. I haven't heard any news lately about the new staff. I haven't seen any info on how he's doing at Commonwealth Academy in Springfield. Anyone have any info on this?

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:42 pm

Only one scholarship the report of cj kelly and Cairo mcCrory seems to be inaccurate at this time

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun May 22, 2022 8:51 pm

69MG wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:18 pm ^ He was offered by MM in 2020. I haven't heard any news lately about the new staff. I haven't seen any info on how he's doing at Commonwealth Academy in Springfield. Anyone have any info on this?
I haven’t seen anything either, and I follow dad and mom on twitter. He was only offered by UMass and Towson AFAIK. Not sure if the UMass offer still holds. Having TJ still on the team and the alumni coming back make me think if he wants to come he would be welcome. That is pure speculation though.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:53 pm

UMassfan_19 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:42 pm Only one scholarship the report of cj kelly and Cairo mcCrory seems to be inaccurate at this time
Inside info? Not questioning what you’re saying just curious.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun May 22, 2022 8:53 pm

UMassfan_19 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:42 pm Only one scholarship the report of cj kelly and Cairo mcCrory seems to be inaccurate at this time
Well, neither are on the roster on the UMass Athletics website. That is a pretty big screw up if they are still on the team.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun May 22, 2022 9:40 pm

Right, we are only positive abut one remaining scholarship. The other two are conspicuously missing from the roster but have not officially declared, as far as we know. We should have more clarity on them by June 1.

If both of them do leave, we are going to be looking for HS recruits and picking from what is left in the portal. Not sure we will be able to upgrade much from CJ and Cairo.

Tyriek Weeks is possibly still an option. He looks bigger now and is listed as a 6-6 small forward. Still only has old offers from us and Towson. We have room to add a SF but I'm not sure he is as highly-ranked as FM would like. Last I checked, Towson was pretty packed at that position. Film on Weeks looks interesting. Shoots left handed with good form and looks like his brother when shooting the three. I think Frank would take him as a walk-on player.

Frank's son is also an option, Brandon Martin is 6-5 232 SF. He averaged 10 minutes in one year at SC after three years at SC upstate. Neither Tyriek nor Brandon are likely to be upgrades over CJ and Cairo, but would be awesome additions as walk-on players that might really want to be at UMass and can be very useful practice players that get scarce game time.

N'Guessan would be a really good addition. Hoping we get him. There are not too many good options for adding another big. One guy still out there is Gerald Lidell from Alabama State, but I don't know how happy he would be looking at limited minutes. He was a former 4-star that one place originally had as a 5-star. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ld-liddell

I had remote hopes we could sway Keyshawn Bryant here for his last year, but he is off to South Florida.

I have faith that Frank will find a way. Even though portal options are limited this late in the game, that extra year of eligibility
means there are probably under-recruited HS players out there.

I'm going to look at players FM offered at SC to get a feel for those options because the people MM went for seem unlikely, with the possible exception of Tyriek.
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun May 22, 2022 9:42 pm

I will be at one of the stops on the "Coach's Caravan". If I have the courage I'll ask Frank how many spots are still open. I don't think it would be prudent to ask about individual players.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun May 22, 2022 10:14 pm

69MG wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:42 pm I will be at one of the stops on the "Coach's Caravan". If I have the courage I'll ask Frank how many spots are still open. I don't think it would be prudent to ask about individual players.
I look forward to hearing your feedback!

I agree with your assessment of the prudence of asking on individual players. I would have asked DK, but I used to chat with him at events and on campus regularly and he knew me. I haven't met Frank yet, so I have no clue how open he is when communicating with supporters.
Refuse To Lose!!!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun May 22, 2022 11:57 pm

The only guy that SC offered that appears to be someone we might go for is Bryce Lindsay. He signed there and de-committed.

McCall had offered him in the past but he wasn't interested. Will Bailey recruited him for Frank and he was projected to go to SC.

He is listed as a combo guard with 4 stars and has heard from WV, ETSU and BC.

He'd possibly be an upgrade from CJ in terms of talent.

Given that we lost out on Lewis and don't know what is going on with CJ and Cairo, I'm putting this kid on my wish list with N'Guessan. Composite score has him at 0.945 4-star and 4th CG in Maryland, 247 has him at 0.89 3-star and 5th CG in Maryland. He's ranked 106th nationally!!!

I know it looks like we are stacked but a lot of what we have coming in comes with question marks. Yes, we have a huge upgrade in talent relative to what we usually recruit. In terms of experience, only Noah, TJ, Wildens and Cross have proven themselves as being capable of starting in a top conference and being productive. Woodly sure looks like a high-quality backup. Diggins and Gianni have a year of experience practicing but little court time.

The two freshmen appear to have a ton of upside but how well will they contribute in year one?

If we do truly have three scholarships available, I'd like at least one of them to come in with some experience and success as a starter at the upper mid-major or above level. That's why I keep mentioning the guy from NU, who has deficiencies but could fill the gap at SF until Luis grows into the role. Hopefully it is sooner rather than later.

I see us as being right on the edge of being able to crack the top 4 in the A10 but what we bring in will determine that.

My wish List:
PF N'Guessan from VT or Lidell from Alabama State
SF Walters from NU
CG Lindsay from HS

That would give us a big that can shoot from outside, which we lack. It would give us an extremely experienced SF who can both drive and shoot the 3, which we lack. It would also give us another ball-handling guard that can shoot and provide the same level of back-court depth that served us well last year.

Injuries happen. If we lose Noah for a stretch of games, we will be inexperienced at the point and we are totally sick of waiting until next year. Fill all scholarships and, if we can get another decent walk-on, I say go for it.
Refuse To Lose!!!

thecaptain
Senior

Post by thecaptain » Mon May 23, 2022 5:24 pm

100% in for Bryce Lindsay

Was hoping to land Yann Farell but he committed to St Bonaventure today.