2022 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: 2022 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:47 am

Who are we kidding? BB isn't as bad as FB, but take the best players you can get and I don't care where they come from. All I ask is that you get kids who have their heads on straight. You only have 13 scholarships so it's riskier to bring in a head case.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:51 am

jrdupe wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:32 am
Old Cage wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:47 am I guess that my objection to mostly using the portal is that maybe some of the players know that they are just renting themselves to UMass for a year. We read about so many guys going to their third or even fourth school. Last night we started five from the portal.

I don't follow the national college hoops scene at all, but I can't imagine how a coach can accomplish much when the turnover is so great. Possibly there are a few guys that can do that.
Not sure if that holds true for a "portal" guy. (renting themselves to Umass) Reason I say this is I think UMass feels burned by Tre...I think they really thought if they brought TB in, all the kids from Woodstock, that Tre would stick around and in 2 years they would be top of A-10 and in the NCAA's. I would go to a lot of the Woodstock games and I would see either McCall or someone else from UMass staff at the time at most of his games. I know it's only a car ride and not a flight, but it's still a lot of time and money spent...not to mention whatever they had to pay TB to come on board. I honestly feel when this all went south they said why bother recruiting a kid like this if he's only going to use us and then bolt. If you get a kid from the portal, there is a very good chance he will not transfer to a program like UMass and then bolt after a year. So my theory is they think a kid they recruit is more likely to use them rather than a kid that transfers to them.

UMass is in a high mid major conference...so they will attract kids from P5 schools that maybe couldn't get PT at a school at that level, but could come to a UMass and have a solid career. They are also in a great position to get kids like CJ Kelley...a guy who probably couldn't play in a P5 conference but has clearly shown he can compete in the A-10. So in that sense UMass has a larger pool to draw from. P5 schools aren't going to poach a kid from the NEC or a smaller conference...they will focus on A-10, Conference USA, AAC, etc...and even at that, there are really probably only a handful of kids that could play in the ACC or Big Ten...so they are kind of limited where they can look. Now that everyone, including the P5 schools seem to be using the portal more and more, UMass may have to rethink it's strategy, but for now it clearly seems to me that is the direction they are going.
There a re a lot more than a handful of kids in the high Mid Majors that were overlooked. Umass had two guys from last year end up on P5 teams. The A10 is going to be a farm league for the P5 for near future.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:24 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:51 am
jrdupe wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:32 am
Old Cage wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:47 am I guess that my objection to mostly using the portal is that maybe some of the players know that they are just renting themselves to UMass for a year. We read about so many guys going to their third or even fourth school. Last night we started five from the portal.

I don't follow the national college hoops scene at all, but I can't imagine how a coach can accomplish much when the turnover is so great. Possibly there are a few guys that can do that.
Not sure if that holds true for a "portal" guy. (renting themselves to Umass) Reason I say this is I think UMass feels burned by Tre...I think they really thought if they brought TB in, all the kids from Woodstock, that Tre would stick around and in 2 years they would be top of A-10 and in the NCAA's. I would go to a lot of the Woodstock games and I would see either McCall or someone else from UMass staff at the time at most of his games. I know it's only a car ride and not a flight, but it's still a lot of time and money spent...not to mention whatever they had to pay TB to come on board. I honestly feel when this all went south they said why bother recruiting a kid like this if he's only going to use us and then bolt. If you get a kid from the portal, there is a very good chance he will not transfer to a program like UMass and then bolt after a year. So my theory is they think a kid they recruit is more likely to use them rather than a kid that transfers to them.

UMass is in a high mid major conference...so they will attract kids from P5 schools that maybe couldn't get PT at a school at that level, but could come to a UMass and have a solid career. They are also in a great position to get kids like CJ Kelley...a guy who probably couldn't play in a P5 conference but has clearly shown he can compete in the A-10. So in that sense UMass has a larger pool to draw from. P5 schools aren't going to poach a kid from the NEC or a smaller conference...they will focus on A-10, Conference USA, AAC, etc...and even at that, there are really probably only a handful of kids that could play in the ACC or Big Ten...so they are kind of limited where they can look. Now that everyone, including the P5 schools seem to be using the portal more and more, UMass may have to rethink it's strategy, but for now it clearly seems to me that is the direction they are going.
There a re a lot more than a handful of kids in the high Mid Majors that were overlooked. Umass had two guys from last year end up on P5 teams. The A10 is going to be a farm league for the P5 for near future.
agree that the A-10 will be a farm league for P5 schools, but that means these P5 schools are losing guys and most likely to non P5 schools, like the A-10, so it kinda balances out. They take our better players, we take the players who may not be happy with the situation they are in and could be potentially more talented than the players we just lost.

I root against Pitt every game in hopes they go 8-22 and Capel gets fired and Femi leaves and hopefully comes here since he's familiar with the players/staff. Might be a pipe dream since he is really playing well and proving he can play in the ACC, but you never know.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:37 pm

So let me get this straight. You guys are saying that the recruiting environment has evolved and UMass has adjusted its strategy accordingly. That's got to be a first.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:39 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:37 pm So let me get this straight. You guys are saying that the recruiting environment has evolved and UMass has adjusted its strategy accordingly. That's got to be a first.
YES

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:52 pm

jake lieberman
@jakelieberman2
44m
Murray State transfer Elijah Farr (@SMoo_ooVE) tells me that he's heard from UMass, Coastal Carolina, among others since entering the transfer portal earlier this week.
Here's his Murray Stata Bio:
https://goracers.com/sports/mens-basket ... -farr/8898

He hasn't played this year so he probably has 3 years of eligibility.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:19 pm

P5 is just football. at least 9 or 10 conferences are relevant for multiple playoff spots and transfers, and the fact that squads are so much smaller - spreads out the talent who all want playing time. Clearly Big East makes it to P6. Add in A10, AAC, West Coast, and perhaps Conference USA for P10. I am basing this on a review of Sagarin and his ranking by conference.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:39 am

econalum wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:19 pm P5 is just football. at least 9 or 10 conferences are relevant for multiple playoff spots and transfers, and the fact that squads are so much smaller - spreads out the talent who all want playing time. Clearly Big East makes it to P6. Add in A10, AAC, West Coast, and perhaps Conference USA for P10. I am basing this on a review of Sagarin and his ranking by conference.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm
CUSA over MWC here?

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:46 am

On further review, sure MWC over CUSA.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:07 pm

I'm putting this here because it's senseless to start a 2026 thread. If this is how we're recruiting, this is insanely ridiculous. I did check and he is really a 2026 recruit.
Charley Neisner
@charleyneisner
42m
UMass offered Catholic Central High School's 2026 guard, Darien Moore.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:06 pm

69MG wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:07 pm I'm putting this here because it's senseless to start a 2026 thread. If this is how we're recruiting, this is insanely ridiculous. I did check and he is really a 2026 recruit.
Charley Neisner
@charleyneisner
42m
UMass offered Catholic Central High School's 2026 guard, Darien Moore.
So he's an 8th grader?

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:20 pm

What are the chances McCall will still be here when this guy graduates?

Should we offer Camby's grandkids too?

Hysterical...
Refuse To Lose!!!

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:55 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:20 pm What are the chances McCall will still be here when this guy graduates?
That might be the point...
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:57 am

DoctorJ wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:20 pm What are the chances McCall will still be here when this guy graduates?

Should we offer Camby's grandkids too?

Hysterical...
graduates 8th grade? Hopefully zero. This is a joke right?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:58 am