2022 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: 2022 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:57 pm

jake lieberman
@jakelieberman2
Long Island 6’8 forward Isaac Kante (@king_kante23) has entered the transfer portal. Kante averaged 12.0 points and 7.5 rebounds for LIU.
Also played at Hofstra and Georgia
I think he has 1 year left after bouncing around (3 schools). Since his coach got fired he can probably play right away. He's not a superstar but he might give us a serviceable backup to Wildens or maybe a starting 4.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:46 pm

Has a degree in Criminology, played against SC while at Georgia, Putnam Science for HS. May be worth a look.

skizz
Sophomore

Post by skizz » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:56 pm

69MG wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:57 pm
jake lieberman
@jakelieberman2
Long Island 6’8 forward Isaac Kante (@king_kante23) has entered the transfer portal. Kante averaged 12.0 points and 7.5 rebounds for LIU.
Also played at Hofstra and Georgia
I think he has 1 year left after bouncing around (3 schools). Since his coach got fired he can probably play right away. He's not a superstar but he might give us a serviceable backup to Wildens or maybe a starting 4.
The coach getting fired doesn't immediately make you eligible.It was a proposal but I don't think was ever ratified. Even as a graduate he would still have to get a waiver from LIU saying they don't object along with being admitted to grad school to a program LIU doesn't have.
FITCTAJ

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:44 pm

He averaged ten boards two years ago at Hofstra. Haven't seen him play.

Victor Enoh from Marist via Memphis is still out there.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:03 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:44 pm He averaged ten boards two years ago at Hofstra. Haven't seen him play.

Victor Enoh from Marist via Memphis is still out there.
Committed to UNCW per his Twitter

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:08 pm

^ Enoh to UNCW, not Kante.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:20 pm

FWIW, Football just signed a big 297-pound lineman that was all-conference in Hoops in HS. Unfortunately he's slightly under 6-4.

If the well runs dry of players due to injuries and not filling the last three open scholarships, he'd probably be a candidate to join the team for practice and emergency use purposes.

Let's hope that doesn't happen.

I do see some other teams, mostly high majors, that are still signing '22 players. Most recently, they look like reclassifications.

Anyone hear any news on Tyriek Weeks? He already did a post-grad year, I think, but he is still listed as only having MM's offer at UMass and one at Towson. I don't think either will materialize for him. Wonder if he'd do another year of post-grad. Would he even be eligible to do so? If not, my guess is that he either goes JUCO or looks to find a PWO role in a D1 program.

Likewise, I haven't heard anything about Frank's son finding a new team. You would think he and Tyriek could land at UMass still.

I love that Frank has such enthusiasm and will tweet when he's excited about something. Just these long weeks after without hearing follow-up news is deflating and worrisome.

Of course, he just lost his second-most-experienced assistant to our former HC who is in our conference. He got a late start because he was just hired. He landed the highest (on average) quality recruiting class we have seen since Cal. He had a whole team that appeared to be interested in staying but when the 4- and 3-star kids started committing, we lost a lot of our depth late in the game. I don't think he ran a single player out of town. They got a chance to see the type of ship he runs and what they would be up against trying to get PT and they sought greener pastures elsewhere.

Make no mistake, however, that we are very late in the game. This is a real test of Frank's ability to recruit, particularly this late and short a key assistant. Can he entice a prospect to reclassify in the 11th hour? Will be tough with so many highly recruited players already on the team.

He clearly isn't panicking about next season. There were players in the portal he could have had easily, I'm sure. He went after some very talented transfers that opted to go elsewhere. The difference to me is that they seemed very interested and actually visited. We don't always see that in Amherst. He drew serious attention from solid players from day one and landed a bunch.

As a silver lining, our new core is together on campus working toward next season. Wildens has the potential to be one of our better Centers, compared to the past couple decades. We have four likely starters right now and retained our two best players from last year. We have enough players to practice 5 on 5 with scholarship players and have 3 walk-on bodies to support the team in practice.

Lastly, we do need to find two more players to achieve the depth level needed to compete in the A-10. We also need to secure some talent in the pipeline for the '23 recruiting class and beyond. We also need to schedule some games in the OOC, preferably with teams that we can beat who will be of interest to spectators. All of this will be a challenge.

Go get 'em Frankie Baby!!! :lol:
Refuse To Lose!!!

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:43 pm

He lost the assistant to St. Louis and coincidentally they just offer Bryce Lindsay. Hmmm.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:21 pm

Uminuteman wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:43 pm He lost the assistant to St. Louis and coincidentally they just offer Bryce Lindsay. Hmmm.
Ouch! :oops:
Refuse To Lose!!!

thecaptain
Senior

Post by thecaptain » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:47 pm

Uminuteman wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:43 pm He lost the assistant to St. Louis and coincidentally they just offer Bryce Lindsay. Hmmm.
well that sucks. was really hoping we would land him.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:30 pm

Bailey was his primary recruiter at South Carolina

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:50 am

Recruits are often more committed to the recruiter than to the college. Whoever Bailey was recruiting for UMass is probably more aligned to him.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:11 pm

I saw the stuff on Gapare in the 2023 recruiting thread but it sounds like if he’s coming it will be in the class of 2022. Certainly seems like needs to get stronger, but has a lot of potential.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:58 pm

Sounds like he was originally going to GWU for 22, then went to DePaul.

He looks like a serious talent. Two decommits is concerning but take a look at this...

https://youtu.be/gH12EirQQQY

This would be an amazing get for us. The kid has length and an array of tools. He's also bulking up nicely from 185 to 205.

He's a great potential fit for what Martin has already brought in. Fingers crossed.

Here is more recent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eczthm3TQ68
Refuse To Lose!!!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:05 am

Have to imagine that now that this has been leaked something official should be coming soon. Huge get that fills a need.. have to believe if this guy grew up in the US he would have been a high major guy