2022 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: 2022 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:56 am

Here's the announcement for the 7 new players (5 transfers & 2 freshmen). All 5 transfers are from P5 programs. They all have something to prove after less than stellar stats at their previous stops. I actually think that's a good thing. Best case scenario is that Frank gets them to play like their high school recruiting ratings.

https://umassathletics.com/news/2022/6/ ... eason.aspx

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:32 am

69MG wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:56 am Here's the announcement for the 7 new players (5 transfers & 2 freshmen). All 5 transfers are from P5 programs. They all have something to prove after less than stellar stats at their previous stops. I actually think that's a good thing. Best case scenario is that Frank gets them to play like their high school recruiting ratings.

This is interesting timing, following right on the heels of N'Guessan committing elsewhere. I don't think there was any pressure to get this press release out right now... makes me wonder if Frank might stick with just 10 scholarship players.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:53 am

In a "normal" time when transfers weren't a way of life, you'd want to keep ships since everybody on the roster is eligible to return right now! But we know that it's almost a foregone conclusion there will be some movement!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:49 pm

The announcement gives no clarity on CJ and Cairo. Perhaps their status is still undetermined.

I'd still like a full slate of 13 scholarships. Practice players matter, even if they don't get many minutes.

Martin seems ok with only filling 12 scholarships. I get that, but will note Cal giving Sharpe a scholarship, only to lose him to the draft. Frank admitted that such a strategy to nab an early transfer is a gamble.

I still think we lack players with a lot of D1 experience. There are some guys out there in the portal that could bring experience. I've mentioned a few last week that are not optimal but would likely be beneficial as long as they bring a positive attitude and don't poison the well. Gasperini was a good example of that type of player.

Frank has built a solid core for the next 2 to 3 years. My humble amateur opinion is that we can still elevate the potential of this squad for next year.

That Center from Alabama State via Texas and the wing from NU are the best targets available that my non-coaching eyes can see. I'm just an avid fan, so idk. I defer to Frank.

It does seem that he wants another guy with some length, like N'G. Without that addition, we will surely need minutes from an improved DD. Even of we add the Center from BC, or God forbid one of the two from NU, we would have an additional body for foul situations and practice. I don't think any of them will have better options.

I think Wildens could use an additional body to practice against other than Woody.

Frank has brought in a lot of talent. I still hope the remaining pieces will add strength to the roster in some way. Depth, experience, and flexibility can still be gained. I hope...
Refuse To Lose!!!

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:49 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:56 am Here's the announcement for the 7 new players (5 transfers & 2 freshmen). All 5 transfers are from P5 programs. They all have something to prove after less than stellar stats at their previous stops. I actually think that's a good thing. Best case scenario is that Frank gets them to play like their high school recruiting ratings.

Wish these had a little word from Martin on each player. Timing is probably due to summer session starting

thecaptain
Senior

Post by thecaptain » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:16 pm

bobolink wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:53 pm offer made to Tafara Gapare according to https://twitter.com/GapareTafara/status ... 1842697216

could be 2022 or 2023, according to this Syracuse write-up https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/rec ... ara-gapare

6'10" PF played this year at South Kent High School in Connecticut

as often lately, UMass on the list with a bunch of P5 schools
looks like we're out for Gapare. he ended up staying in 2023, but regardless, we didn't make his top 7

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:25 pm

That's ok. We are not going to hit at a high percentage yet.

Frank laid tracks that could be helpful in case he ever transfers.

We were in final groups of choices for several excellent prospects and transfers. If we start winning under Frank, we'll start getting them. Just like Cal did, IMHO.

In this era, laying track by creating relationships with players who have a high likelihood of transferring is smart.
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:02 am

I've taken a hard look at the players we lost compared to the new additions. When you match them up against each other it doesn't look as pretty as I would like. First, I love the hire of Frank Martin and I think his coaching and better D should get us a few more wins. However, take a look at this and see what you think. I matched players up by size/position the best that I could. I discounted McCrory, Preston and Kolton because they were irrelevant last year.

Steadman - Leveque
Buttrick - Woodley
Jones - Cross
Walker - Gianni T.
Garcia - Diggins
Rich K. - Keon T.
CJ - Luis

You can switch a couple of positions but for me the end result is that Frank has to get most of the transfers to play a lot closer to their high school recruiting profiles than they have shown so far.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:05 am

69MG wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:02 am I've taken a hard look at the players we lost compared to the new additions. When you match them up against each other it doesn't look as pretty as I would like. First, I love the hire of Frank Martin and I think his coaching and better D should get us a few more wins. However, take a look at this and see what you think. I matched players up by size/position the best that I could. I discounted McCrory, Preston and Kolton because they were irrelevant last year.

Steadman - Leveque
Buttrick - Woodley
Jones - Cross
Walker - Gianni T.
Garcia - Diggins
Rich K. - Keon T.
CJ - Luis

You can switch a couple of positions but for me the end result is that Frank has to get most of the transfers to play a lot closer to their high school recruiting profiles than they have shown so far.
I did the same thing and came up with the same matches. It's a challenge to compare what players did at UMass with what players did elsewhere before coming here. So, I'll do it anyway. I think Leveque is an improvement over Steadman. Woodley may be better than Buttrick at defending the rim and down low scoring, but not as good at outside shooting. I think Cross will be a slight improvement over Jones. Jones brought great energy and defense and could hit 3's. We'll see. Hard to tell with Walker-Gianni. Walker didn't play all that much and Gianni has a pretty high ceiling. Again, we'll see. Garcia and Diggins might be a draw. If Keon can develop at the D1 level, he could pass Rich Kelly's accomplishments, although he may not ever hit 30 footers. I don't know how to compare CJ and Luis. Also, I think any recruits will likely be an improvement over Mitchell, Santos, and McCrory. I think overall, we will see an improved team skill-wise.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:25 am

It's a difficult exercise because McCall recruited last year's transfers to run and hit outside shots. I think Martin has recruited to be a little more balanced and defensive minded, especially with the 2 South Carolina transfers. Overall I agree that having Martin's coaching is an improvement and worth a couple wins at least, and I think most of the projected top 7 or 8 players are a step up from last year.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:30 am

^ ^ tough way to compare players. The system we play vs the system MM played will be different. I agree with Juice
Time to Win

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:52 am

I would say that we have considerably more talent now in every match up listed. Add that to proper coaching and we should see 6-8 more wins.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:08 pm

I’ve never been a huge fan of 1 to 1 replacement comparisons - I’d rather look at the overall roster. With the guys leaving who played a bit, we are certainly are losing a lot of offense, particularly outside shooting. However none of the guys we lost played a lick of defense, outside of Garcia and Walker whose minutes were sporadic for a variety of reasons. Well Jones scrapped out there I guess but he was often overmatched from a size and/or athleticism standpoint.

The guys coming in definitely have a higher ceiling, particularly Cross and Diggins (to a lesser extent G Thompson) and the high school kids coming in might have been under recruited a bit, given the current recruiting landscape with Covid, transfers etc. And the bigs coming in should also be sturdier on defense and at least provide some sort of deterrence.

I think given the situation, we are doing about as well as could be expected. Some of the recent misses are disappointing sure, but overall the roster overhaul is going fine I think. None of the kids are slam dunks but I don’t think we are in a position to land slam dunks (at least not yet) and they all seem to have potential to be real contributors at some point with a decent amount of upside.

We are more talented than we were last year. How that pans out in terms of wins and losses I have no idea, but I’m certainly more encouraged. I could see a Top 6 A10 finish and certainly couldn’t see that last year, not even if I was smoking the good stuff.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:25 pm

69MG wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:02 am I've taken a hard look at the players we lost compared to the new additions. When you match them up against each other it doesn't look as pretty as I would like. First, I love the hire of Frank Martin and I think his coaching and better D should get us a few more wins. However, take a look at this and see what you think. I matched players up by size/position the best that I could. I discounted McCrory, Preston and Kolton because they were irrelevant last year.

Steadman - Leveque
Buttrick - Woodley
Jones - Cross
Walker - Gianni T.
Garcia - Diggins
Rich K. - Keon T.
CJ - Luis

Walker didn’t play Jones was limited buttrick didn’t defend and steadman wasn’t that great outside of a handful of games I see a much more talented team

diplomat
Junior

Post by diplomat » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:32 am

Rich Kelly would have been a nice piece to come back. In a crappy season with a crappy team shot 45% from the field and 3 pt fg’s.. protected the ball well. Made good decisions.