2022 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
m626t
Hall of Fame

Re: 2022 Recruiting

Post by m626t » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:14 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:30 pm 12/31/2021 - 2022 SF Adam Dudzinski (6-8, 165, 2★) committed to Saint Rose.

We had offered him, as well as Siena and Manhattan.
I really hope we weren't going after this kid in any sort of serious fashion. Can't fathom losing a kid to Saint Rose. interesting side note, I had an Aunt Rose, but she was no saint.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:40 pm

m626t wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:14 pm
DoctorJ wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:30 pm 12/31/2021 - 2022 SF Adam Dudzinski (6-8, 165, 2★) committed to Saint Rose.

We had offered him, as well as Siena and Manhattan.
I really hope we weren't going after this kid in any sort of serious fashion. Can't fathom losing a kid to Saint Rose. interesting side note, I had an Aunt Rose, but she was no saint.
Doesn’t matter if she could ball!!

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:07 pm

Just noticed 2022 target, Matty Curtis, committed to Fairfield. Losing recruiting battles to Saint Rose, Albany, and Fairfield.. Hmm.. Gotta think Bamford and McCall have a plan to part ways after this season.

Otherwise, yikes...

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:12 pm

We might not be putting a lot of effort into these recruits so it's not likely that we're actually losing to Aunt Rose.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:07 pm

Aunt Rose could probably start on this team

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:15 am

DanaDingle3 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:07 pm Just noticed 2022 target, Matty Curtis, committed to Fairfield. Losing recruiting battles to Saint Rose, Albany, and Fairfield.. Hmm.. Gotta think Bamford and McCall have a plan to part ways after this season.

Otherwise, yikes...
I almost feel like they are committed to recruiting through the transfer portal...they know kids are not staying for more than 2-3 years anymore, so why spend the time and money recruiting only to have them leave. there is a chance that if a kid transfers after his Freshman year, there is a better chance he stays the remaining 3 years rather than going through the transfer process again. I think it's a lot tougher to recruit a kid when he's 15-16 than it is after you've played a year of college. Kids that are really good in high school think they are much better than they really are...I see it here locally where I live. These kids start believing they can play in a P5 conference and then once they go and sit the bench, they want to transfer. Schools like UMass can use that to their advantage...they can remind this kid that they just sat the bench last year but if you come to UMass your going to play 30 minutes a game. After a year of sitting the bench it's easier to convince this kid as opposed to when he's averaging 25 points a game and everyone telling him how great he is.

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:24 am

^ I think I mostly agree with this. Many folks have been saying that the transfer portal will kill teams like UMass, and the P5's will raid mid-majors for talent. The truth is that there's only 13 scholarships on every team, and there are a lot of talented and hard working players out there. Yes, Texas and Missouri took Mitchell and DeGray from us, but at the same time, we picked up the Kelly brothers, and they've been pretty darn good, absolute snipers. Add in Steadman, Buttrick, and Jones, and we've done ok.

Some dudes will want to go to the big schools. Fine. Others want to come where they know they will play, or where they will get a great education, or closer to home (Noah Fernandes). There's plenty of fish in the sea.

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:27 am

jrdupe wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:15 am
DanaDingle3 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:07 pm Just noticed 2022 target, Matty Curtis, committed to Fairfield. Losing recruiting battles to Saint Rose, Albany, and Fairfield.. Hmm.. Gotta think Bamford and McCall have a plan to part ways after this season.

Otherwise, yikes...
I almost feel like they are committed to recruiting through the transfer portal...they know kids are not staying for more than 2-3 years anymore, so why spend the time and money recruiting only to have them leave. there is a chance that if a kid transfers after his Freshman year, there is a better chance he stays the remaining 3 years rather than going through the transfer process again. I think it's a lot tougher to recruit a kid when he's 15-16 than it is after you've played a year of college. Kids that are really good in high school think they are much better than they really are...I see it here locally where I live. These kids start believing they can play in a P5 conference and then once they go and sit the bench, they want to transfer. Schools like UMass can use that to their advantage...they can remind this kid that they just sat the bench last year but if you come to UMass your going to play 30 minutes a game. After a year of sitting the bench it's easier to convince this kid as opposed to when he's averaging 25 points a game and everyone telling him how great he is.
This is a good post. Interesting recruiting concept… could work.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:41 am

I'm not opposed to that strategy, but if that's the case, why make offers to HS kids at all. And if you are going to offer HS kids... shoot for the stars, if you will.

And communicate this to your fanbase... At least then we would know the strategy and not have to worry about why we have ZERO commitments for the next season. "Our goal is to be competitive through the transfer portal each year. We will continue to search for the best HS recruits for UMass, but expect to be most successful through the portal."
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:08 am

Kind of agree. Its a rare day that UMass will sign a real stud out of high school, as most of them want to go to the higher profile programs. Plus out of hs, lots of ratings can be a bit inaccurate. Let kids work out those situations, and then try to get those players that fit the program and want to be here.

Actually like the guys we got this year in the portal. Noah has been very good, just what we need and a great fit. The 2 Kellys have been solid as well, and Trent has for the most part played well. We lost a lot from last year, plus with all the Covid stuff, its been tough getting back on track. The losing sucks, but I actually haven't counted them out early too many times, as they've shown they can score and come back, and won't quit. Just have to come out the gate stronger, flip those games around and we'd be more like 9-4 right now.

Gotta give Richmond credit last night too for that first half. They shot very well

Just keep grinding
The E sho, best show in town

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:46 am

Sign a couple of studs and retain them and guess what…UMass can once again become a higher profile program.

We need a coach with the vision of what can be and the personality and the communication skills to make it happen.

Sadly, that’s not currently the case.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:47 am

I guess that my objection to mostly using the portal is that maybe some of the players know that they are just renting themselves to UMass for a year. We read about so many guys going to their third or even fourth school. Last night we started five from the portal.

I don't follow the national college hoops scene at all, but I can't imagine how a coach can accomplish much when the turnover is so great. Possibly there are a few guys that can do that.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:51 am

I much prefer the old system, that's for sure.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:15 am

Like LS71 said. It all comes down to the coach. College basketball is more reliant on a steady coach unlike any other sport IMO. Look at the staple / successful programs, not just blue bloods like Creighton, Davidson, Houston, Providence, they all have stability, vision and experience at the helm.

1, Bamford should be replaced, but if he isn’t, he ought to go the route he chose in football by bringing DB back. I like MM, seems like a good guy, but don’t think he has a chance to win here because he provides none of the factors mentioned above.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:32 am

Old Cage wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:47 am I guess that my objection to mostly using the portal is that maybe some of the players know that they are just renting themselves to UMass for a year. We read about so many guys going to their third or even fourth school. Last night we started five from the portal.

I don't follow the national college hoops scene at all, but I can't imagine how a coach can accomplish much when the turnover is so great. Possibly there are a few guys that can do that.
Not sure if that holds true for a "portal" guy. (renting themselves to Umass) Reason I say this is I think UMass feels burned by Tre...I think they really thought if they brought TB in, all the kids from Woodstock, that Tre would stick around and in 2 years they would be top of A-10 and in the NCAA's. I would go to a lot of the Woodstock games and I would see either McCall or someone else from UMass staff at the time at most of his games. I know it's only a car ride and not a flight, but it's still a lot of time and money spent...not to mention whatever they had to pay TB to come on board. I honestly feel when this all went south they said why bother recruiting a kid like this if he's only going to use us and then bolt. If you get a kid from the portal, there is a very good chance he will not transfer to a program like UMass and then bolt after a year. So my theory is they think a kid they recruit is more likely to use them rather than a kid that transfers to them.

UMass is in a high mid major conference...so they will attract kids from P5 schools that maybe couldn't get PT at a school at that level, but could come to a UMass and have a solid career. They are also in a great position to get kids like CJ Kelley...a guy who probably couldn't play in a P5 conference but has clearly shown he can compete in the A-10. So in that sense UMass has a larger pool to draw from. P5 schools aren't going to poach a kid from the NEC or a smaller conference...they will focus on A-10, Conference USA, AAC, etc...and even at that, there are really probably only a handful of kids that could play in the ACC or Big Ten...so they are kind of limited where they can look. Now that everyone, including the P5 schools seem to be using the portal more and more, UMass may have to rethink it's strategy, but for now it clearly seems to me that is the direction they are going.