KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:04 am

Tre will ultimately be fine, it just won't be immediate there for him. If it ends up being immediate, more power to him and maybe the coaching thing wasn't so far fetched.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:06 pm

Looks like Tre will see a lot of talent coming in next year, perhaps (likely?) becoming the 2nd best Mitchell.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... n-mitchell

albaby
Junior

Post by albaby » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:46 am

One thing for sure, he will be better coached at Texas.

PTrainXL
Senior

Post by PTrainXL » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:18 am

Only six shots in 20 minutes coming off the bench.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:58 am

Tre may get better coaching at Texas but I'm pretty sure he won't come close to duplicating the numbers he put up at UMass. There is so much talent there and the offense will not be run through him as it was here. I don't have hard feelings about him leaving, but I do question of it was the right decision to go to such a loaded team (maybe he didn't know how many good players would end up there).

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:02 am

I think he would have been better off going to a well-coached P5 that actually needed him.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:26 am

PTrainXL wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:18 am Only six shots in 20 minutes coming off the bench.
Only six shots off the bench? Is that necessarily a bad thing.. the most shots someone took off our bench was 4.

I thought he would be a starter but it looks like he is the 6th man. This Texas squad is ridiculously stacked. Also, this can shut up some UMass fans who said he would be 3rd or 4th off the bench.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:55 pm

Texas plays at Gonzaga on Saturday. That should be a helluva game.

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:35 pm

I spent over 20 years representing NBA players and worked alongside Bob Woolf the man who founded the sports representation business as we know it for 7 of those years. We represented over 40 NBA players from Larry Bird to Bernard King to Robert Parish to Bill Cartwright to LaPhonso Ellis. Probably represented 20 lottery picks and seen a lot thru the years but the one thing that stood out to me was there was always one thing each and everyone of them did that was extraordinary. Like Robert Parish - for a 7 footer he could run like the wind. LaPhonso Ellis could crash the offensive boards.
I don’t know whose advising this young man but you need to have someone that knows what the NBA is thinking and looking for. I watched the situation unfold and kept my mouth shut but now that its long done here’s my two cents for what it’s worth (which isn’t much) There have been players like Julius Erving, Al Skinner and Marcus Camby that were in their element and thrived @ UMass. The NBA is all about talent - if you can play they will find you. They found Vinny Baker @ Hartford and Reggie Lewis @ Northeastern. Tre Mitchell was in a perfect situation @ UMass. He was the centerpiece and would have been a top A10 stud. He needed to work on his weight and his explosiveness from the wing 18’ from the hoop. The NBA is all about quickness and you need to get to the hoop in 1 dribble from the wing - if you use 3 dribbles you’re too slow and the window closes. The game has changed and the days of low post players is limited and now it’s spacing, drive and kick and spot up and shoot the 3. Tre is not going to overpower NBA guys in the post they are 4” taller as well as 50 lbs heavier. It will depend on how tall he measures in his bare feet. Is he 6’8” ? As a reference point Jayson Tatum a SF is 6’9”. Tre could have used his additional time @ UMass to fine tune his game and adapt to shooting the 3 and slashing to the basket. Tre will do fine @ Texas but @ UMass he could have flourished. The NBA doesn’t care what your record is. They care can you play. I represented LaPhonso Ellis from ND and he was a top 5 pick and his team played in the NIT. The NBA found him because he went to the Offensive boards. He was the centerpiece @ ND. I also represented NeNe another lottery pick who came over from Brazil at 18. He has had a great career in the NBA making millions and he didn’t play college basketball. Another thing he has to contend with is the tremendous influx of Foreign players. There are well over 80 now in the NBA close to 1/3 and this will help push Tre down in the draft. If you go late 2nd round it is a steep climb to even make the league. Tre could have been a legendary player @ UMass and I hope everything works out for him in Austin. Perception is everything in the NBA and if positioned correctly he could have been perceived as the next in line @ UMass after Julius Erving and Marcus Camby. Not bad to be included in the same breath as those legends. He is just a kid and we all have to live with our decisions. I hope he has a great career.
Last edited by tom mclaughlin on Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:01 pm

I always enjoy insights from Coach McLaughlin. Ty for sharing.

I agree on Tre. I think he could have done just as well or better by staying in Amherst.

Alas, nobody will ever build a statue of Tre.
Refuse To Lose!!!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:21 pm

Best assessment of Tre's situation that I've read. Thanks Tom! 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:52 pm

tom mclaughlin wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:35 pm I spent over 20 years representing NBA players and worked alongside Bob Woolf the man who founded the sports representation business as we know it for 7 of those years. We represented over 40 NBA players from Larry Bird to Bernard King to Robert Parish to Bill Cartwright to LaPhonso Ellis to Byron Scott. Probably represented 20 lottery picks and seen a lot thru the years but the one thing that stood out to me was there was always one thing each and everyone of them did that was extraordinary. Like Robert Parish - for a 7 footer he could run like the wind. LaPhonso Ellis could crash the offensive boards. Byron Scott could stretch the defense and make shots perfect compliment to Magic Johnson and kept the D honest.
I don’t know whose advising this young man but you need to have someone that knows what the NBA is thinking and looking for. I watched the situation unfold and kept my mouth shut but now that its long done here’s my two cents for what it’s worth (which isn’t much) There have been players like Julius Erving, Al Skinner and Marcus Camby that were in their element and thrived @ UMass. The NBA is all about talent - if you can play they will find you. They found Vinny Baker @ Hartford and Reggie Lewis @ Northeastern. Tre Mitchell was in a perfect situation @ UMass. He was the centerpiece and would have been a top A10 stud. He needed to work on his weight and his explosiveness from the wing 18’ from the hoop. The NBA is all about quickness and you need to get to the hoop in 1 dribble from the wing - if you use 3 dribbles you’re too slow and the window closes. The game has changed and the days of low post players is limited and now it’s spacing, drive and kick and spot up and shoot the 3. Tre is not going to overpower NBA guys in the post they are 4” taller as well as 50 lbs heavier. It will depend on how tall he measures in his bare feet. Is he 6’8” ? As a reference point Jayson Tatum a SF is 6’9”. Tre could have used his additional time @ UMass to fine tune his game and adapt to shooting the 3 and slashing to the basket. Tre will do fine @ Texas but @ UMass he could have flourished. The NBA doesn’t care what your record is. They care can you play. I represented LaPhonso Ellis from ND and he was a top 5 pick and his team played in the NIT. The NBA found him because he went to the Offensive boards. He was the centerpiece @ ND. I also represented NeNe another lottery pick who came over from Brazil at 18. He has had a great career in the NBA making millions and he didn’t play college basketball. Another thing he has to contend with is the tremendous influx of Foreign players. There are well over 80 now in the NBA close to 1/3 and this will help push Tre down in the draft. If you go late 2nd round it is a steep climb to even make the league. Tre could have been a legendary player @ UMass and I hope everything works out for him in Austin. At UMass Tre would have taken at least 20 shots a game and been good for over 10 rebs a game - the NBA would have noticed those type of stats. Perception is everything in the NBA and if positioned correctly he could have been perceived as the next in line @ UMass after Julius Erving and Marcus Camby. Not bad to be included in the same breath as those legends. He is just a kid and we all have to live with our decisions. I hope he has a great career.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Tom... absolutely fantastic. Tre could have padded his European resume here. I think Tony thought he could make more $$ at Texas.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:10 pm

tom mclaughlin wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:52 pm
tom mclaughlin wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:35 pm I spent over 20 years representing NBA players and worked alongside Bob Woolf the man who founded the sports representation business as we know it for 7 of those years. We represented over 40 NBA players from Larry Bird to Bernard King to Robert Parish to Bill Cartwright to LaPhonso Ellis to Byron Scott. Probably represented 20 lottery picks and seen a lot thru the years but the one thing that stood out to me was there was always one thing each and everyone of them did that was extraordinary. Like Robert Parish - for a 7 footer he could run like the wind. LaPhonso Ellis could crash the offensive boards. Byron Scott could stretch the defense and make shots perfect compliment to Magic Johnson and kept the D honest.
I don’t know whose advising this young man but you need to have someone that knows what the NBA is thinking and looking for. I watched the situation unfold and kept my mouth shut but now that its long done here’s my two cents for what it’s worth (which isn’t much) There have been players like Julius Erving, Al Skinner and Marcus Camby that were in their element and thrived @ UMass. The NBA is all about talent - if you can play they will find you. They found Vinny Baker @ Hartford and Reggie Lewis @ Northeastern. Tre Mitchell was in a perfect situation @ UMass. He was the centerpiece and would have been a top A10 stud. He needed to work on his weight and his explosiveness from the wing 18’ from the hoop. The NBA is all about quickness and you need to get to the hoop in 1 dribble from the wing - if you use 3 dribbles you’re too slow and the window closes. The game has changed and the days of low post players is limited and now it’s spacing, drive and kick and spot up and shoot the 3. Tre is not going to overpower NBA guys in the post they are 4” taller as well as 50 lbs heavier. It will depend on how tall he measures in his bare feet. Is he 6’8” ? As a reference point Jayson Tatum a SF is 6’9”. Tre could have used his additional time @ UMass to fine tune his game and adapt to shooting the 3 and slashing to the basket. Tre will do fine @ Texas but @ UMass he could have flourished. The NBA doesn’t care what your record is. They care can you play. I represented LaPhonso Ellis from ND and he was a top 5 pick and his team played in the NIT. The NBA found him because he went to the Offensive boards. He was the centerpiece @ ND. I also represented NeNe another lottery pick who came over from Brazil at 18. He has had a great career in the NBA making millions and he didn’t play college basketball. Another thing he has to contend with is the tremendous influx of Foreign players. There are well over 80 now in the NBA close to 1/3 and this will help push Tre down in the draft. If you go late 2nd round it is a steep climb to even make the league. Tre could have been a legendary player @ UMass and I hope everything works out for him in Austin. At UMass Tre would have taken at least 20 shots a game and been good for over 10 rebs a game - the NBA would have noticed those type of stats. Perception is everything in the NBA and if positioned correctly he could have been perceived as the next in line @ UMass after Julius Erving and Marcus Camby. Not bad to be included in the same breath as those legends. He is just a kid and we all have to live with our decisions. I hope he has a great career.
In other words...you done f'd up kid! I wish Tre the best but I have said it a 100 times on here...one of the worst career moves I've seen...but not surprised when he's got TB advising him.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:17 pm

Well said Coach ! Couldn’t agree more!