KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Post by Floyd » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:29 pm

I actually think if he stayed at UMass playing center, while the team may have done well, his development may have suffered. McCall probably would have been extended too. He'd never play center in the league, or even a pf spot, so for his own personal development leaving and playing more of a sf spot probably is helping him. He seems to have slimmed down, but can he play athletic enough on the wing to be drafted and stick? If anyone can get his potential out of him, it would be Cal, so we'll see
Time to Win

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:14 pm

Tre was never going to finish his career at UMass unless Tony B was the head coach

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:06 pm

I can only imagine the mayhem if Cal suspects TB is influencing Tre in any way during the season. I can't wait!

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:38 am

I know no one cared at the time and rightfully so, but I wonder if there was any Tony B impact felt at Texas or WVU. I doubt it, Beard and Huggins couldn't give 2 shits about a guy like Bergeron while McCall had to do what he had to do to save his job.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:35 pm

Quann wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:52 am Can you imagine how good he could have been if he stayed all four years here? Tony B. destroyed that kid, that'll be Tony's lasting legacy at UMass. 4 schools in 5 years. Let this be exhibit A to future college prospects that have dreams of the NBA that the grass is not always greener.
LOL

he never comes to umass if not for McCall desperatly trying to save his job after his joke of a first full year recruiting class. Tony B did not destory the kid, maybe the kid just is not an NBA prospect (which the preech's scouting service has said since DAY 1).
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:55 pm

69MG wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:06 pm I can only imagine the mayhem if Cal suspects TB is influencing Tre in any way during the season. I can't wait!
Cal got Tyreke Evans from Tony when he was at Memphis, there is a relationship there and I’m sure that’s how the Tre deal got done so fast. Cal never wanted/needed Tre before now as he is not an NBA guy and Cal only goes for those guys in general

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:47 pm

Cal was the first one to call Tre; I have no doubt TB helped set that up.

If anyone thinks TB is going to have any influence over Cal/UK, you're out of your mind. Cal would ensure that guy is banned from the city if he even tries to influence anything.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:19 pm

The truth is that Tre Mitchell is not that good.

Did not make Big 12 1st team, second team, 3rd team, or even honorable mention. No chance at NBA

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:04 pm

vanmeter wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:19 pm The truth is that Tre Mitchell is not that good.

Did not make Big 12 1st team, second team, 3rd team, or even honorable mention. No chance at NBA
Only one WV player made those lists.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:34 am

vanmeter wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:19 pm The truth is that Tre Mitchell is not that good.

I'm sure there have been plenty of kids that had no chance to make the NBA and then had phenomenal final seasons in college to then make the NBA.

Your point about the NBA might have been better served by saying guys of Tre's "type" aren't making the NBA (via the Draft) these days. We saw 2-3 examples of that last week.

Tre is actually pretty fucking good at basketball. He certainly proved that here. The hate some have for a UMass 1st Team All-A10 player is baffling.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:58 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:35 pm
Quann wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:52 am Can you imagine how good he could have been if he stayed all four years here? Tony B. destroyed that kid, that'll be Tony's lasting legacy at UMass. 4 schools in 5 years. Let this be exhibit A to future college prospects that have dreams of the NBA that the grass is not always greener.
LOL

he never comes to umass if not for McCall desperatly trying to save his job after his joke of a first full year recruiting class. Tony B did not destory the kid, maybe the kid just is not an NBA prospect (which the preech's scouting service has said since DAY 1).
LOL? Okay hardo. I contend he would have had a better overall career if he stayed here at least 4 years instead of jumping to his 4th school in 5 years. And yes I think Tony b got in this kids ear and destroyed any chance at him having one of the best umass careers of players in the last 20 years.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:42 am

Quann wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:58 am
LOL

LOL? Okay hardo. I contend he would have had a better overall career if he stayed here at least 4 years instead of jumping to his 4th school in 5 years. And yes I think Tony b got in this kids ear and destroyed any chance at him having one of the best umass careers of players in the last 20 years.
Hardo, why did Tre choose UMass? Was it because his mommy's boyfriend was able to get a college coaching job? Don't believe this kid ever comes to play for McCall had there not been a two for one deal.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:16 pm

he never comes to umass if not for McCall desperatly trying to save his job after his joke of a first full year recruiting class.
Matt McCall needs to get a break for his first year recruiting class. If my memory is correct he was hired in early April after the Pat Kelsey debacle. Far too late into the process to build a team. Now hitching is wagon a year later to TB, that is all on him.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:52 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:42 am
Quann wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:58 am

LOL

Hardo, why did Tre choose UMass? Was it because his mommy's boyfriend was able to get a college coaching job? Don't believe this kid ever comes to play for McCall had there not been a two for one deal.
I don’t care why he came to umass, all I’m saying is his career would have been further along and he may have been a UMass great if he stayed in Amherst.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:38 pm

fenway617 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:16 pm
he never comes to umass if not for McCall desperatly trying to save his job after his joke of a first full year recruiting class.
Matt McCall needs to get a break for his first year recruiting class. If my memory is correct he was hired in early April after the Pat Kelsey debacle. Far too late into the process to build a team. Now hitching is wagon a year later to TB, that is all on him.
I am speaking the class who became ellibible starting in 18-19, so we are talking about Jon Luarent, Keon Clergeot, Sy Chatman, Tre Wood, Kieran Hayward, sure Iam missing a couple but there was not an impact player in the group. His first year was much better with Carl Pierre falling into his lap (this is a shot against DK for not getting this guy sooner).

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC