KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Merlin Samuels
Junior

Re: KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:59 pm

Tired of people blaming Mitchell and Bergeron. Maybe they didn’t fit in with our current coach. Ever think about that? What has McCall ever done for so many people to continue to defend him?

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:09 pm

^People are always saying that Bergeron was not a likable guy but what about all the players he brought in? What kind of recruits is McCall bringing in? Maybe McCall is not the likable guy.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:31 pm

The basketball and football situation for that matter, is what it is because Bamford has no clue. He brought two southern coaches to the northeast to revive programs that were mediocre and now they are worse.
The recruiting base for UMass is within 6 hours of the campus, you will get a player who understands the value of a UMass education from beyond that radius the base is within those 6 hours.
McCall has no plan and has been all about the quick fix since he got here. His biggest success was CP and he backed into him out of necessity. After his transfers failed in year 2 he went the TB route and let’s be honest didn’t everyone think that situation was odd? We ignored it because of Tre.
The blame lays at the feet of Bamford and MM and nowhere else. How Bamford got an extension blows my mind. He is the worst AD in modern UMass history, I still say Ryan’s father’s connections led Carvel to him because Carvel doesn’t fit the Bamford type.

I wish Tre all the success that he can achieve, he did what was best for his future as would we all.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Boy, its gonna be a tough season around here, can feel it already.
Time to Win

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:06 pm

Amazing how pedestrian Tony’s future step son looks against Gonzaga. All y’all that thought he was an nba guy watch this tape. He’s lost
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:05 am

I would think he thought he’d be getting more than 20 and 14 minutes per game

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:01 am

8th guy in mins last night. Previous post was right.. this is all on Bamford. Say what you want about McCutchen.. At least he hired Whip and basketball was better than this. Oh and his employees really liked him. Cant say that about the current regime

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:16 am

kdogg8173 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:05 am I would think he thought he’d be getting more than 20 and 14 minutes per game
Last night, 6 points, 1 rebound. I hope whomever was advising him is feeling guilty.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:31 am

Yea unfortunately what I thought before was he’d be way better off dominating the A10. Some team probably takes a flyer on him in the draft because he hasn’t yet proven he can’t hang with the big dogs and he’s putting up big numbers. They figure maybe he’s an undervalued steal. But go to Texas, play a real team with NBA players like Gonzaga, log 14 minutes, 1-5 shooting, 1 rebound. He’s getting crossed off lists as we speak.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:59 am

His lack of athleticism and real size combined with a game not really suited for the pace and space (although his shot helps with the space) era was always going to make the NBA an uphill climb for Mitchell if you ask me. And I don’t know this contingent Preecher speaks of that thought the league was going to be a sure shot for Mitchell. Maybe I missed this?

All that said, this was one game against arguably the best team in the country with arguably the best big in the country who at this moment is a second round pick himself — no sure thing. A great team that likes to play fast. Mitchell struggled. His whole team did. It’s one game. And maybe Mitchell doesn’t get the minutes and numbers he would have gotten at UMass. That doesn’t mean his decision was bad one. It may prove to be bad. It may not. I just think it’s way too early to be dancing on graves (which is a weird instinct to have I think but maybe that’s just me.)

I am more concerned with our team and our athletic department as a whole and its future in the changing landscapes of college athletics. Not sure if there are any good big picture answers for the department as a whole and the more program specific issues have the wrong answers.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:15 am

When I think of Tre's game, defensive intensity is not what comes to mind. I never got a vibe from him that said he was committed to defend.
Last edited by LS71 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:21 am

Jackson96 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:59 am
All that said, this was one game against arguably the best team in the country with arguably the best big in the country who at this moment is a second round pick himself — no sure thing. A great team that likes to play fast. Mitchell struggled. His whole team did. It’s one game. And maybe Mitchell doesn’t get the minutes and numbers he would have gotten at UMass. That doesn’t mean his decision was bad one. It may prove to be bad. It may not. I just think it’s way too early to be dancing on graves (which is a weird instinct to have I think but maybe that’s just me.)
I agree Jackson. And realistically he's only a sophomore with time to develop and expand his game. Maybe he does, maybe not, but playing against bigger & better competition should find his limits. His journey, hopefully it was the right decision for him
Time to Win

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:25 am

Jackson96 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:59 am His lack of athleticism and real size combined with a game not really suited for the pace and space (although his shot helps with the space) era was always going to make the NBA an uphill climb for Mitchell if you ask me. And I don’t know this contingent Preecher speaks of that thought the league was going to be a sure shot for Mitchell. Maybe I missed this?

I am more concerned with our team and our athletic department as a whole and its future in the changing landscapes of college athletics. Not sure if there are any good big picture answers for the department as a whole and the more program specific issues have the wrong answers.
I have been saying for two years that he better learn spanish or greek because those would be the top leagues he would ever play in. He mihgt improve,but I thought we would have seen an improvement on his body which has not happened. I know Chet and Timme are much better than French and Martin in the A10, but he is lost defensively.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:32 am

I would agree that he isn’t exactly ripped, but I would say if you looked at his photos from high school to where he’s been for last couple of years is a pretty remarkable transformation.

Could he get stronger? Sure. He’s on the younger side too so definite possibility. I think the lack of athleticism is going to be the real limit on his NBA prospects though. And if he ends up in Europe, there are worse careers one could have (I know because I have one)
"I wrote a column and it went national"

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:42 am

Merlin Samuels wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:59 pm Tired of people blaming Mitchell and Bergeron. Maybe they didn’t fit in with our current coach. Ever think about that?

HOW DARE you suggest such a thing when the almighty of all things UMass information has already told us this isn't the case.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades