KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Post by Floyd » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:42 pm

Ok so I guess the point I was trying to make was that if he would have stayed with TB as the HC, he must have thought he could develop him to get where he wants to go, right? So with Tony here as an assistant, why wouldn't he still develop? I mean he was A10 ROY last year, and a 1st team A10 this year, and very likely would have been a very strong candidate for A10 POY moving forward. I know its MM's program, but assistants still work a ton with the players to make them better.

Being A10 POY, elevating the program, making the tourney, are all lofty goals that take progression, and I'd say were very realistic for Tre. With a nice legacy as well. Thats why it seems odd to me.

All those niceties aside, I think any coach would feel a little burned losing an all league talent like Tre.

Hey, I hope he has lots of success, I really do. Just not sure I buy the reasoning for leaving

UMass basketball, moving on!
Time to Win

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:00 pm

^
Imo McCall wanted to can Tony one way or the other

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:14 pm

I wish Mitchell and Bergeron well. They came here and did their jobs. Mitchell was a star and Bergeron brought in a lot of great players to the program.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:56 pm

Tre's only reason for coming here was to get a job for TB. His stated plan was to leave after three years. When it became possible to transfer with no penalty after two years, then, why not?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:57 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:18 pm
Floyd wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:10 pm
Ok, so if MM left or got let go, and TB took over as the HC, do you think Tre would have left?

I was told for a fact he would have stayed. But I was also told he would have stayed if they brought someone else in that he was comfortable with.

It really doesn't matter at this point. There's no bad blood between Tre and McCall, just a parting of ways.
are we concerned Matthew Wayne McCall cannot coach star players?!
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:39 am

just wondering what more he wanted.. Sure I thought he spent too much time outside the 3 point line but he was the number one option and at times a big fish in a small pond. Now he will just be a fish. His numbers will go down at Texas. He also runs the risk of getting exposed as a pretty bad defender. It will be interesting to watch.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:20 am

I don’t think the issue with TM was how much he was being used vs how he was being used. I don’t think his camp (and having a “camp” made things trickier) was in love with McCall’s offense. I could be misreading thing entirely but that’s how I see it.

At any rate I think he’s going to be really good because...wait for it...he’s a really good basketball player. He’s not good defensively but maybe Beard will get something out of him on that end of the court and maybe he gets stronger and quicker. No idea. Sure he’ll be going up against better competition — he’ll also have better teammates.

Im not going to go out of my way to follow his season, but he’s not dead to me — by all accounts he sounds like a good kid and kids should be allowed to leave if they aren’t happy.

I’m just glad the TB experiment is over since it appears that it didn’t really seem to be working. He might be a good coach — he certainly has a great high school record — but I think he’s also full of shit. Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:37 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:57 pm

No, I am not. This specific player had that concern, though.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:58 am

TheInsider wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:39 am just wondering what more he wanted.. Sure I thought he spent too much time outside the 3 point line but he was the number one option and at times a big fish in a small pond. Now he will just be a fish. His numbers will go down at Texas. He also runs the risk of getting exposed as a pretty bad defender. It will be interesting to watch.
Tre will play defense for coach beard or he will be sitting next to Matthew mcconaughey
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:14 am

I'm just not sure he has the quickness.... maybe in the past it's all been technique and coach Beard can get him to where he is a serviceable defender. Just seemed like he would gamble a lot and get caught flat footed plus he would get pushed around a bit...

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:46 am

I think he will be helped by having better help on the interior. Having Tre and DeGray out there together was great for offense but not so much for defense.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:46 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:37 am
PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:57 pm

No, I am not. This specific player had that concern, though.
Agree. Might have had something to do with the family/coaching dynamic....and aspirations of others adding to the conversation. McCall has experience coaching “star” players. My guess is he doesn’t treat them as stars too much. Don’t know if that is a good or bad thing. Also, how someone is treated is not the same as how they are coached.

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:56 am

Lock this one up. Put it in the rear view

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:43 pm

Can't see the article due to the pay wall but Tre is the featured photo. It's Jeff Borzello's ranking of the 2021 transfers.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... gs-2021-22

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 pm

bmc24 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:56 am Lock this one up. Put it in the rear view
+1 Time to talk about players who are at UMASS.