KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Post by Floyd » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 am

^ i agree. W_to_A, I know you're not bashing Tre, but I think alot of times he was the last man and when things broke down, many times it was 2 on 1 at the rim and thats a tough spot. I think as he gets stronger, he'll be more physical. As the lead scorer most of the time, its also tough to be a lock down defender unless you're in fantastic shape. I think that comes with the physical development. Can he improve, absolutely, as most can. But I think its more of a physical development thing and learning the game better, moreso than a willingness thing. Still a young kid

Maybe thats one of the things he thinks he'll improve on by going to another program, who knows
Time to Win

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:06 am

Floyd wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 am ^ i agree. W_to_A, I know you're not bashing Tre, but I think alot of times he was the last man and when things broke down, many times it was 2 on 1 at the rim and thats a tough spot. I think as he gets stronger, he'll be more physical. As the lead scorer most of the time, its also tough to be a lock down defender unless you're in fantastic shape. I think that comes with the physical development. Can he improve, absolutely, as most can. But I think its more of a physical development thing and learning the game better, moreso than a willingness thing. Still a young kid

Maybe thats one of the things he thinks he'll improve on by going to another program, who knows
Wasn’t that Tony’s defense. I mean he went on every pod bragging about them playing his defense

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:41 am

Yeah, could have been.
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:03 pm

UMassfan_19 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:06 am
Floyd wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 am ^ i agree. W_to_A, I know you're not bashing Tre, but I think alot of times he was the last man and when things broke down, many times it was 2 on 1 at the rim and thats a tough spot. I think as he gets stronger, he'll be more physical. As the lead scorer most of the time, its also tough to be a lock down defender unless you're in fantastic shape. I think that comes with the physical development. Can he improve, absolutely, as most can. But I think its more of a physical development thing and learning the game better, moreso than a willingness thing. Still a young kid

Wasn’t that Tony’s defense. I mean he went on every pod bragging about them playing his defense
I think the press was TB’s. The zone I think was McCall’s. Whoever teaches them man to man needs help.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:44 pm

I think I mentioned this during the season but it seemed to me that for a team that supposedly wanted to press the personnel wasnt exactly a great fit for it. I think Dibaji, Javohn, and Cairo had physical skills suited for the press, the rest not so much. I also think that having Tre and DeGray in the front court for the majority of the time wasn’t great for the defense overall. Both very skilled on offense and ok on the boards but having them both out there didn’t offer much in terms of rim protection and athleticism. I think they are both good players and Tre is really good but when in combination they aren’t great on defense.

All this said I think Tre is going to be just fine wherever he ends up. I think he could struggle defensively sure but he can score with anyone and he seems like a smart kid who works hard (look at his high school photos if you doubt that)

DeGray will be interesting. He seems like one of those kids that comes in developed and has a fine career. Not sure how much better he gets given his relative lack of athleticism and length and he’s already pretty damn skilled.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:24 am

He could have had an issue with conditioning last year if he had covid/any lingering effects. I think that's another factor to performance in big-time sports this year. A lot of speculation that Jayson Tatum is dealing with a situation like that.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue May 04, 2021 11:53 am

Heard from a pretty reliable source that LSU is the frontrunner and it's not a package deal with TB. Anywhere but UConn or BC is fine with me.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm

^ LOL, I bet Will Wade made him and Tony a "strong-ass offer".

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue May 04, 2021 12:26 pm

NilesGold wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm ^ LOL, I bet Will Wade made him and Tony a "strong-ass offer".
Like “ We take Tre and TB stays as far away as possible.”
Similar to the offer that the Springfield Central coaching staff made back in the day, at least the second part!!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue May 04, 2021 2:53 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:26 pm
NilesGold wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm ^ LOL, I bet Will Wade made him and Tony a "strong-ass offer".
Like “ We take Tre and TB stays as far away as possible.”
Similar to the offer that the Springfield Central coaching staff made back in the day, at least the second part!!
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/282 ... -ass-offer

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 am

LSU would be an interesting choice for Tre. If part of his reason for leaving UMass is to play and make a run in the NCAA tournament, I would be worried about the NCAA handing down penalties for the Will Wade scandal and potentially imposing a postseason ban while he's there. The FBI and NCAA investigations are still active.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/03/25/w ... estigation

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed May 05, 2021 6:25 am

^ My thoughts exactly, when I saw LSU!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed May 05, 2021 10:53 am

Juice Stand wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 am LSU would be an interesting choice for Tre. If part of his reason for leaving UMass is to play and make a run in the NCAA tournament, I would be worried about the NCAA handing down penalties for the Will Wade scandal and potentially imposing a postseason ban while he's there. The FBI and NCAA investigations are still active.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/03/25/w ... estigation
Don’t know what the NCAA is waiting for. All the proof is there against Will Wade.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sun May 09, 2021 4:32 pm

LSU just got a commitment from a 5 star PF. My random prediction is that Tre Mitchell will go to Illinois.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm

inthescoop wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:32 pm LSU just got a commitment from a 5 star PF. My random prediction is that Tre Mitchell will go to Illinois.
We'll know soon. I agree that LSU is probably out of the running. As I have said before, anyone but BC or UConn.
@tre_mitch33
List coming this week.