KAEO: Preston Santos

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
UMassfan_19
Senior

Re: KAEO: Preston Santos

Post by UMassfan_19 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:07 pm

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:13 pm

^ Good shit Preston. That takes a lot of guts to post something like that. I'm happy he's vocal about it and seems to be doing much better. Considering how ridiculous this season has been from a purely basketball standpoint, and not including the mental struggle he's been going through, it's great that he's not on campus and is at home with what seems to be a great support system.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:19 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:13 pm ^ Good shit Preston. That takes a lot of guts to post something like that. I'm happy he's vocal about it and seems to be doing much better. Considering how ridiculous this season has been from a purely basketball standpoint, and not including the mental struggle he's been going through, it's great that he's not on campus and is at home with what seems to be a great support system.
Yeah all those pauses and isolation is a lot of time with your own thoughts can be very tough

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:36 pm

Preston, it is strong for you to share your thoughts about a very private matter. We wish you the best in your journey, and hope that includes returning to Amherst, continuing your studies, and if it's best for you, getting back to basketball.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:05 pm

Preston, stay strong and know that we are with you.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:11 pm

Makes me like the kid even more. Gotta live your life to find your peace and happiness, not always easy. Sounds like he's been dealing with a lot, but also learning to deal with some of it. My respect Preston, stay positive
Time to Win

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Really appreciate Preston sharing his truth. So many men are plagued by feelings they won't express, don't feel safe expressing. We need role models to show another way. It's really impressive how many of these role models come from athletics.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:15 pm

I'm really pleased to read what Preston wrote. It truly takes courage to open up like that. He is to be commended for the work he's doing on himself and sharing it with others. You sound like a healthy happy young man. Great job, Preston. I look forward to seeing you on the court next year.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:26 pm

Floyd wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:11 pm Makes me like the kid even more. Gotta live your life to find your peace and happiness, not always easy. Sounds like he's been dealing with a lot, but also learning to deal with some of it. My respect Preston, stay positive
You took the words right out of my mouth!
He dug down deep to find out what was going on and met the challenge head on. His openness will inspire others.
Way to go Preston!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:34 pm

As a former UMass player I want to let Preston know there are people in his corner rooting for him. Depression is a very
serious issue and Preston please take care of yourself. For over 20 years I represented pro athletes and was involved in
a situation where one young man who was a 1st round pick suffered from Depression and simply couldn’t function. Then
in the past few years I also saw Kevin Love deal with his depression. I am very close friends with Bill Alexson the famous
Chaplin for the NBA. He is an expert at helping pro athletes thru there many personal trials. He could be a very helpful
resource.
Preston you are a brave young man and may you get all the support you need. There are many resources out there and
people are more aware of the enormous pressure put on young men and women. If there’s any way I can help please feel
free to contact me. Basketball is never that important and you need to be commended for taking positive action and recognizing
you have a problem. Please be well and the UMass basketball community is proud of your courage. You are a winner in my
book.

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:43 pm

I can't express my best wishes for Preston as well as others have here, but want to add my voice to the chorus supporting him for his courage and what sounds like good decisions to help work things out so far. Lots of people rooting for this fine young man; hope he can know that and hope it helps.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:01 am

Best of luck to Preston with his struggles. Take it Day by day.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:17 pm

This is the measure of a man. Thank you Preston for standing your ground and refusing to let somebody else "should" on you.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:13 pm

The Cursive U @TheCursiveU · 1m
Preston Santos has announced on Instagram that he will be returning to #UMass and intends to play basketball next season.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:26 pm

HUGE