KAEO: Sy Chatman

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Sy Chatman

Post by 78 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:33 pm

Hmmmm...just curious...who recruited Sy? One more reason for me to question Matt McCall...
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Well this is a bummer. Not sure what happened with Sy — I thought he had a good offseason and played well in the exhibition and then seemingly out of nowhere he’s not playing and when he did come back he didn’t play very well for the most part.

McCall really talked him up during the offseason and so did Bergeron (although he seems to really talk up everyone) so I was hoping he’d be making a jump this year. Instead he’s jumping ship.

He had size and athleticism something we really lack even with him. Will be interesting to see how much we press down yet another body. Maybe Dibaji gets eligible — that would probably help with length and athleticism but he is pretty thin.

This one doesn’t really give me the warm and fuzzies and it’s becoming old hat to say best of luck to a kid transferring out.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:01 pm

I know Sy has some athletic ability but I think his lose is a big deal in the future. He is not strong enough to play inside and has trouble using what strength he does have to play physical. I know we can do much better with a tougher, more physical guy in the future.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:02 pm

bobolink wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:53 pm
jrdupe wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:42 pm 5-0 without him this year - 0-6 with him...just saying.

so I say this in jest...but the more I think about it, have you ever seen the kid smile? he always seems so mad. Before he joined the team, they all seemed so loose...dancing on the bench, joking around with each other...seems like a lot of that stopped when he got back. Maybe he was a bad influence in the locker room. Hopefully they get back to playing loose and having fun now.
Captain Obvious points out that there's always more smiling, dancing, and joking when winning. OTOH, I thought Sy presented difficulties in the rotation, although I liked having an option bigger than Samba (who seems to need minutes to get rolling, so getting him more minutes could be a plus), and I liked having an option in case Tre and Djery were unable to play for some minutes (e.g., foul trouble). A-10 opponents may require 2 bigger guys; hoping that's Dajabi.

Re: the comment on Keon: He has a year of eligibility left after this season, but I guess he's expected to graduate and move on. Would love to see him stay. He continues to impress me.
Why can no one ever call anything for what it is? It was the same thing with the Celtics last year with Kyrie. 90% of Celtics fans thought it was absolutely ludicrous to think Kyrie was a problem or the reason why the team struggled.

It was the exact same thing with Chatman. Every time he touched the ball it resulted in him shooting or him turning it over trying to get a shot. He allowed a lot of offensive rebounds and seemed way too slow on defensive rotations even for missing a few games. Always amazing how no one can admit the truth about players

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:03 pm

^^^
Guess McCall must have missed all the negative when he recruited him, then talked him up big time in the offseason...
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Wow, kind of surprising, but if guys don't want to be here, let 'em go. I thought Sy and Tre could have been a good combo, but Sy looked off after he came back. And I agree, you never saw the kid smile or look connected to his teammates. To me, he played rushed this year, always seemed to be trying to do too much too quickly. But its best he leave if he's not into it here, does nobody any good. Maybe he goes to LIU to join his friend Tre Wood, who knows
Time to Win

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:40 pm

I don’t know what Celtics fans you hung out with Kelzie, but almost all of the ones I knew thought Kyrie was an issue long before he headed to Brooklyn.

And I have no idea what you are saying about Sy. I think most folks in here recognized he struggled after coming back this year and while folks had different opinions on his potential, I’m not sure anyone was over the top about it. Not sure how that is not admitting the truth about him.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

devildawg3010
Junior

Post by devildawg3010 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:19 pm

I think quitting on your team/teammates halfway thru the season tells me all I need know about Sy. Add that to everything else that has been said here, good bye.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 am

MJ you were right, I'll give it to you.

My general objection in these types of things is projecting negative things onto players (kids) while speculating. Same thing with people questioning Sy's character now as he's walking away.

These things may be true, and it's certainly within the acceptable discourse of the message board, but on a personal level I don't like it (just one man's opinion). He didn't play good when get came back, and I feel like MM kind of forced him into the lineup at times, probably trying to boost his confidence and maybe offset whatever was going on off the court.

Sy seems like a good kid but he wasn't comfortable here for whatever reason. Wish him the best in the future.

I hope they find a big guy in this class to bring in with the other 2.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:45 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:31 pm
Juice Stand wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm ^never mind that they played the defending national champ, two top 100 KenPom Ivy teams, and 3 other P5 teams in that time span - yeah, he's definitely the reason they lost those games (not). They lost because they played more experienced, physical, and tougher teams than they played in the first 5.
He may not be THE reason, but they haven’t been the same since he returned and, quite honestly, he has been pretty terrible. At minimum, they win the St. John’s game if he wasn’t in there. He also basically threw away the ball against S. Carolina and did little against Yale. It seems likely that the weird delays over his returning to play or not might have been a negotiated return. Whatever he was going through personally, the staff must have had at least some doubt over his ability to contribute and were waiting to see if he was ready. Thus, the ever shifting time line of his return. The ripple effect has been obvious. Samba’s play has suffered and Santos and Baptiste’s minutes have gone down. I met his mom in Vegas and she was great and I love every dude who puts on the UMass jersey, but it seemed clear rather quickly this season that he was turning into a bit of a poison pill, his fault or not.
+1
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:08 am

uz2b-len wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:56 pm So he's done playing for us as of now?
I would put my money on that. He's still on the official roster, as of now, but I don't think we'll see him again, even on the bench in street clothes.

I don't know the details of eligibility rules, but UM's fall semester technically ends today. I guess he could play today and not mess up his eligibility for Spring 2021 for another team, but he has quit on this team and there's no reason to keep him around.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:18 am

LS71 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:45 am
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:31 pm
Juice Stand wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm ^never mind that they played the defending national champ, two top 100 KenPom Ivy teams, and 3 other P5 teams in that time span - yeah, he's definitely the reason they lost those games (not). They lost because they played more experienced, physical, and tougher teams than they played in the first 5.
He may not be THE reason, but they haven’t been the same since he returned and, quite honestly, he has been pretty terrible. At minimum, they win the St. John’s game if he wasn’t in there. He also basically threw away the ball against S. Carolina and did little against Yale. It seems likely that the weird delays over his returning to play or not might have been a negotiated return. Whatever he was going through personally, the staff must have had at least some doubt over his ability to contribute and were waiting to see if he was ready. Thus, the ever shifting time line of his return. The ripple effect has been obvious. Samba’s play has suffered and Santos and Baptiste’s minutes have gone down. I met his mom in Vegas and she was great and I love every dude who puts on the UMass jersey, but it seemed clear rather quickly this season that he was turning into a bit of a poison pill, his fault or not.
+1
+2

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:20 am

You got to wonder if this was an issue before this preseason even began, or if it was related to not being a starter right away. I'm sure the staff really pushed and worked these kids hard all offseason. Its not for everyone. Life ain't easy, sometimes you gotta work thru shit. But, good luck to Sy in whatever he decides to do. I honestly wish him well
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:56 pm

It seems like this happens to us more than anyone else but we're not alone. 84 players have entered the transfer portal this semester including 3 others from the A10; GW, Richmond and URI.

http://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2020

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Where has TheOFFSeason been this season? We need some scoop from him.

BLOWING INTO MY CONCH SHELL! Hopefully he can hear that..