NCAA Investigating UCONN for recruiting violations

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: NCAA Investigating UCONN for recruiting violations

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 am

Sounds about right.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:29 pm

“Based on our own, NCAA-mandated internal review following allegations directed at men’s basketball programs last fall, we had already retained [law firm] Lightfoot, Franklin and White to assist us in a review of our men’s basketball program,” the school said in its statement. “We will continue to work with them during the NCAA inquiry.”

They're offices are in the same building as Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:49 pm

I am going conspiracy route here......

Ollie gets a stupid 5 year contract
Fans bitch after they find out about it (like 15 months after the ink dried)
Suffer 1st losing season in two decades
Struggling again this year
Uconn has an escape clause citing just cause

Uconn blows whistle on itself so they can get out of this mess without paying Ollie for the next 3 years...

Hmmmm

Mark W
Junior

Post by Mark W » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:15 pm

^
This theory of yours is actually a prevalent one over on the Boneyard. To listen to some of them over there you picture the AD with the fake moustache and glasses calling the NCAA from a phone booth outside Gampel.
Half are going with this theory and the other half are the paranoids that think this is just another example of ESPN and the NCAA out to get UConn.
Either way, it makes for hilarious reading over there!!
UMass...the best is yet to come

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Mark W wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:15 pm
To listen to some of them over there you picture the AD with the fake moustache and glasses calling the NCAA from a phone booth outside Gampel.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:30 pm

As Yogi might have said, it's deja vu all over again! :lol:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:32 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:23 pm
To listen to some of them over there you picture the AD with the fake moustache and glasses calling the NCAA from a phone booth outside Gampel.

The only thing funnier would be if the "informant" had a distinct mumble to his words..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:07 pm

eldonabe wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:49 pm I am going conspiracy route here......

Ollie gets a stupid 5 year contract
Fans bitch after they find out about it (like 15 months after the ink dried)
Suffer 1st losing season in two decades
Struggling again this year
Uconn has an escape clause citing just cause

Uconn blows whistle on itself so they can get out of this mess without paying Ollie for the next 3 years...

Hmmmm
This is accurate.

Look, EVERY TOP 100 OR TOP 150 PROGRAM IS "DIRTY" if you believe violating what I believe are the NCAA's absurd rules constitutes "dirty." Some are more flagrantly dirty and others are more modest in their "violations "but essentially no one is completely clean and while I don't like UConn, I'm not going to drag them for this. This shit is ubiquitous everywhere and, frankly, a byproduct of the NCAA not doing enough to meaningfully compensate the players in the first place.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:15 pm

eldonabe wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:32 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:23 pm

The only thing funnier would be if the "informant" had a distinct mumble to his words..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Recent photo of Jim Calhoun....

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 pm

They should give them the death penalty by making them extend Ollie's contract even further...

DearOleUMass
Sophomore

Post by DearOleUMass » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Crank wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 pm They should give them the death penalty by making them extend Ollie's contract even further...
On the topic of UConn giving him an extension a couple years back; hindsight is 20/20 but at the time, anyone with a brain would have thought they were crazy to not extend Ollie. He recruited/recruits at a high level, he won a championship (even though it may have been on the coattails of Calhoun), and he was rumored to have been getting looks for NBA gigs. If he left fans would have complained just as much if not more than they are now with what is happening.

While it isn't a 100% comparable I think there are similarities between Kellogg and Ollie. Both Alum, both protege of the best coach at their respective school. Both had some level of success leading to their extension and both didn't live of to the standards of that extension. While I think Kellogg was deservedly let go and wasn't thrown under the bus by our administration, I hope the UConn Athletic department has some sort of morality and wouldn't throw an alum and head coach under the bus by self reporting violations solely to void a contract and get out of paying him.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:09 pm

DearOleUMass wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:12 pm I hope the UConn Athletic department has some sort of morality and wouldn't throw an alum and head coach under the bus by self reporting violations solely to void a contract and get out of paying him.
You must be new to our country and how college athletics work here....

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:06 am

DearOleUMass wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:12 pm While it isn't a 100% comparable I think there are similarities between Kellogg and Ollie. Both Alum, both protege of the best coach at their respective school. Both had some level of success leading to their extension and both didn't live of to the standards of that extension.
UCONN and UMass have some freakish coaching similarities.

Charley Molnar - Notre Dame OC 2010–2011
Bob Diaco - Notre Dame DC 2010–2011

Mark Whipple - Coach who brought UMass to notoriety in FCS. Won 1-AA National Championship under his tenure.
Randy Edsall - Coach who brought Connecticut to notoriety in the Big East. 2x BE Champion, appeared in BCS game.

Derek Kellogg - PG at UMass under Calipari 1991-1995. First coach since Calipari to bring UMass to NCAA tournament.
Kevin Ollie - PG at UConn under Calhoun 1991-1995. First coach since Calhoun to win NCAA Championship.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

DearOleUMass
Sophomore

Post by DearOleUMass » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:08 pm

eldonabe wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:09 pm
DearOleUMass wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:12 pm I hope the UConn Athletic department has some sort of morality and wouldn't throw an alum and head coach under the bus by self reporting violations solely to void a contract and get out of paying him.
You must be new to our country and how college athletics work here....
I'm not new by any means but you're right. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.