New UMass Basketball Podcast

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
vanmeter
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:12 pm

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by vanmeter » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:29 pm

I got to know Lappas pretty well when he was here and was really not a bad guy at all. Very knowledgeable. I understand his tenore here was not good but he did recruit both Stephane Lasme and Rayshuan Freeman

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1951
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:29 pm

Quann wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:46 pm Great interview by Sage. A very candid Lappas which was great to hear. One questionable thing Lappas said, he thought Big Deli was going to be a very college player. Not sure on that take! A good stroll down memory lane though. I remember that 4-0 start his first year, I road tripped with a couple buddies down to Raleigh for the NC State win. Great time and memory. All in all, I like how real and genuine Lappas still is and never realized he was such a passionate guy.
I question the comment on Deli as well, but then look back at what Lappas said. he had Lasme and Freeman in front of him and didn’t claim Deli would be an all league player. He also said essentially Deli would not have played a lot for a couple of years. Lappas might be the last coach we’ve had that actually developed players. Not many of Ford’s, Dk’s or McCall’s (yet) players, have gone from bit players to stars like Freeman and Lasme.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3703
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Back in FL
Contact:

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:14 pm

Players under Ford developed IMHO.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1951
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:43 pm

Roadtrip wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:14 pm Players under Ford developed IMHO.
Who? He was in and out in a flash. And, not many players were there for two years. Brower? Gaffney?

capezona
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Peoria, AZ and Dennisport, MA

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by capezona » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:30 pm

Yeah, tough to develop players when you're here only 3 years. But, having said that, players that developed nicely while TF was here include Life, Lowe, Gaffney, and Harris, maybe Forbes too, and last two years of Lasme and Freeman.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7139
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by LS71 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:51 pm

TF’s teams were always in condition. The other guys were huffin’ and puffin’ at MSG his last year here.

Too bad…for us, not for him…that T. Boone threw all that money at him. Hard to refuse an offer that secures your family’s future.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1951
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:08 am

capezona wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:30 pm Yeah, tough to develop players when you're here only 3 years. But, having said that, players that developed nicely while TF was here include Life, Lowe, Gaffney, and Harris, maybe Forbes too, and last two years of Lasme and Freeman.
Ford took in a bunch of transfers instead of developing players. Life was a transfer who played two years and had virtually the same stats each year. Aside from being a starter senior year, not much difference between the two years. He is the example I was thinking about for not developing. Freeman’s production actually dipped under Ford. Gaffney barely played for Ford. Another transfer in. DK was coach when Gaffney broke out. Lowe and Harris made jumps from freshmen to sophomores. Lasme had a phenomenal upwar trajectory.

capezona
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Peoria, AZ and Dennisport, MA

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by capezona » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:03 am

Yeah, you're right. Ford didn't help the players get better at all.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1951
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:53 pm

capezona wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:03 am Yeah, you're right. Ford didn't help the players get better at all.
Not really what I said. But, okay. My initial point was about coaches that develop players. He wasn’t there long enough to do that. Instead of developing players he brought in transfers. The players that were there for his three years didn’t show much development. The team gelled, sure. An examples developing under McCall are Pierre and TJ. Both added aspects to their games that wasn’t there when they were freshmen. I don’t think Ford or DK did much in the way of player development. I think they knew what they wanted in the types of players for their system. Maybe developing over the years is not the MO any longer with the portal etc.

kdogg8173
Senior
Posts: 1850
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:20 pm

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by kdogg8173 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:17 pm

Carl Pierre? His best numbers were his freshman year. He got worse and shot 36% his senior year. TJ weeks numbers were also much better as a freshman. No idea what you’re basing that development on. Ricky Harris went from 4.5 points to 18 under TF. Lowe was honorable mention all conference. Is this trolling?

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1951
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:34 pm

kdogg8173 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:17 pm Carl Pierre? His best numbers were his freshman year. He got worse and shot 36% his senior year. TJ weeks numbers were also much better as a freshman. No idea what you’re basing that development on. Ricky Harris went from 4.5 points to 18 under TF. Lowe was all conference. Is this trolling?
No. I am not trolling. Pierre developed into more than a shooter as has TJ. That is what I am basing development on. Yes. Ricky Harris went from a seldom used freshmen to star. C Lowe was a star from the get go. I am not saying developing Pierre and TJ is even the way to go. Or comparing them to anyone in the past. My initial point was in regard to Lappas on the podcast discussing the development of players on his UMass teams. His idea of players roles evolving as the get older, etc. This idea of developing players seemed to not be the MO of Ford and DK to me. Harris may be the only player player to “develop” in this way under Ford. Lowe was the starting PG as freshmen and all rookie team. Aside from, Harris and Lowe, TF went the transfer route for most of his players-finding guys that fit what he wanted instead of developing them to fit what he wanted. DK was a mess in this regard too. Cady Lalanne may have been the only player in his tenure to add to his game by the time graduated. My point is not knocking the coaches, my point is what approach is better. McCall seems to be trying the development model. But, that isn’t even clear. I can’t figure out what roles any of his players have for the most part aside from Noah Fernandes. It doesn’t seem to be working. I don’t know if that is about current players, his lack of shortening the bench, etc.

Berko
Freshman
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:21 pm

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by Berko » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:02 pm

Have to admit I was really impressed by Lappas.Given what's happened since he left maybe he should have got another year. After all he was fired after his best year. FWIW I think I think he does a good job for CBS.

PreecherJenkins
Senior
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:41 am

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:05 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:53 pm
capezona wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:03 am Yeah, you're right. Ford didn't help the players get better at all.
Not really what I said. But, okay. My initial point was about coaches that develop players. He wasn’t there long enough to do that. Instead of developing players he brought in transfers. The players that were there for his three years didn’t show much development. The team gelled, sure. An examples developing under McCall are Pierre and TJ. Both added aspects to their games that wasn’t there when they were freshmen. I don’t think Ford or DK did much in the way of player development. I think they knew what they wanted in the types of players for their system. Maybe developing over the years is not the MO any longer with the portal etc.
Have you forgotten how raw Putney, Esho, Cady and trey davis were when they got to Amherst and all four becomes pros after they left? Sampson Carter is another guy who developed.

What skills did Carl add to his game? He looked like the same player from day one to the end. What are you seeing in TJ that has been development??
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1951
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:03 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:05 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:53 pm
capezona wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:03 am Yeah, you're right. Ford didn't help the players get better at all.
Not really what I said. But, okay. My initial point was about coaches that develop players. He wasn’t there long enough to do that. Instead of developing players he brought in transfers. The players that were there for his three years didn’t show much development. The team gelled, sure. An examples developing under McCall are Pierre and TJ. Both added aspects to their games that wasn’t there when they were freshmen. I don’t think Ford or DK did much in the way of player development. I think they knew what they wanted in the types of players for their system. Maybe developing over the years is not the MO any longer with the portal etc.
Have you forgotten how raw Putney, Esho, Cady and trey davis were when they got to Amherst and all four becomes pros after they left? Sampson Carter is another guy who developed.

What skills did Carl add to his game? He looked like the same player from day one to the end. What are you seeing in TJ that has been development??
TJ has added slashing, mid range and rebounding. He has also been a sixth man often. Carl added slashing too. His role didn’t change, though. Yes I mentioned Cady. The guys you mentioned, Put, Esho, and Trey, Esho is one who fits more of what I am indicating. He went from role player to integral part based on individual growth.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:12 pm

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by vanmeter » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:41 am

Players under McCall have regressed. Both Pierre and Weeks were better their freshman year. In addition he has whiffed consistently on transfers.

In addition Ford added transfers who were productive;
Forbes
Brower
Life
Gaffney

Lowe and Harris had excellent 4 year careers and Dante Milligan improved under Ford. Lasme developed into Player of Year and while Freeman's stats declined his last year it was largely because the team around him was better.

Post Reply