KAEO: Carl Pierre

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
capezona
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Carl Pierre

Post by capezona » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 pm

According to my calculations, Carl is:

tied for 18th in career points (as has been already noted) (1,353)
27th in career field goals made (460)
2nd in career 3-pointers made (266)
2nd in career 3-pointers made per game (2.58)
9th in career 3-point field goal percentage (38.4)
15th in career free throw percentage (77.4)
tied for 33rd in games played (111)
tied for 15th in games started (99)
14th in minutes played (3,555)
15th in minutes played per game (32.03)

In addition, he leads all freshmen in 3-pointers made by a long shot (pardon the pun) with 92 made compared to Anderson and Pipkins with 71 each. He's 4th among sophomores and 6th among juniors (he was cheated out of half his senior year or he would have finished around 6th or 7th).

That's quite a college basketball career. Thanks for choosing UMass, Carl.

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:18 pm

Thank you Carl! It was great to see you represent the school well and develop as a player and a leader. I'm sure you will be successful at anything you set your mind to. It certainly has not been a typical career with all the turnover so your success and contributions are even more impressive in that context.

What's the school record for teammates played with? He probably holds that record. I count 38 and nearly half of them transferred out. (Harris played with 35 during a similarly tumultuous period of coaching changes and transfers). For reference, Lou Roe by contrast played during a very stable roster period and played with only 28 over his career. 38 seems crazy to me but in this day and age, it probably isn't as unusual as I think it is. All that turnover is what has soured me on CBB altogether. It's just not as fun to follow a program anymore with so few players spending more than 2 years at a school, let alone 4 like Carl.

Malik Hines
Jaylen Brantley
Luwane Pipkins
Kieran Hayward
Unique McLean
Chris Baldwin
Jonathan Laurent
Jaylen Franklin
Khalea Turner-Morris
Keon Clergeot
CJ Anderson
Curtis Cobb
Mike Gillespie
Randall West
Rayshawn Miller
Rashaan Holloway
Tre Wood
Samba Diallo
Sy Chatman
Djery Baptiste
Aidan Byrne
John Buggs
Preston Santos
CJ Jackson
Sean East
Kolton Mitchell
Devonte Higginbottom
TJ Weeks
Dibaji Walker
Tre Mitchell
Brady Antonopoulos
Javohn Garcia
Dyondre Dominguez
Cairo McCrory
Mark Gasperini
Noah Fernandes
Ronnie DeGray
Ryan Marcus
This is the most enjoyable losing season ever!

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:05 am

https://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-basket ... n-39258935

Grabowski mentions that the return of Pierre appears "unlikely". I wonder if Carl would even be eligible if he wanted to. By all accounts, he's finishing his masters degree program this year. If he's done with his degree program, would he be able to play if he isn't even enrolled in school? I'd love to see him back in some capacity, maybe even to be honored with fans in the stand next season, but I think he's probably ready to move on and start his career (basketball or otherwise).

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:35 am

I wondered the same thing regarding the academic part if these Seniors choose to come back...could they just take a bunch of elective type courses or are there certain requirements?

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:46 am

If my math, and the stats, are correct, if he had played a 31 game season and averaged 12.7 the rest of the way, he would have finished with 1406 total points and 14th all time. Just 10 back of Pipkins for 13th.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:28 pm

For him to return McCall would want him back, they'd have to be an open scholarship and he'd have to enroll in a fulltime post grad program. I'm guessing McCall would want him back and assuming some transfer out there might be a scholarship open. From there it is up to Carl. He might be done and want to move on or he might feel there was unsettled business this season. Either way, if a spot opens up and he wants back in McCall wouldn't get a better player on the transfer market than Carl.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:37 pm

It would not require an "open scholarship." NCAA has ruled that seniors who want to return after this f**d up season would not count against the 13 scholarships. Only they didn't say f**d up.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:31 pm

He has been a great ambassador for the program for 4 years. If he has already completed his masters degree - which would be pretty remarkable, in 4 years I really don’t see why he would want to come back. If he decided not to pursue playing overseas, he would probably be able to get an excellent job in business.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:43 pm

vanmeter wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:31 pm ... I really don’t see why he would want to come back.
Maybe to play a full season of a game he loves (he only had 15 games this year. 15) with a chance to get into the NCAA and maybe set a few more school records? It appears unlikely, but there are good reasons.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:32 am

vanmeter wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:31 pm If he has already completed his masters degree - which would be pretty remarkable, in 4 years I really don’t see why he would want to come back.

Should have it by the end of this school year: https://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-senior ... n-37304078

I'm in the category of not minding if he decided to play one of more year.... but with the two degrees and a chance to play professionally, I agree that I'm not really sure why he would come back.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:46 am

So how would a scholarship work? Still get one or have to pay your own way?
Whether he comes back or not might affect someone else's decision too

IV, maybe you could come back as Sam ( if the suit still fits :lol: )
Time to Win

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:05 am

Floyd wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:46 am So how would a scholarship work? Still get one or have to pay your own way?
Whether he comes back or not might affect someone else's decision too

IV, maybe you could come back as Sam ( if the suit still fits :lol: )

So he would be able to qualify for a scholarship in the sense of the school paying for it, if the school agrees to take him back. It's just that said scholarship wouldn't count against the NCAA cap each team can have.

Oh that suit would fit and I'd rock the hell out of it!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:45 pm

I'd feel better about next season if Carl was coming back. Hope we can find a way.
Refuse To Lose!!!

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:53 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:05 am So he would be able to qualify for a scholarship in the sense of the school paying for it, if the school agrees to take him back. It's just that said scholarship wouldn't count against the NCAA cap each team can have.

Does this scholarship waiver only apply for next season or if say for example a player who is not a senior wants to play a 5th year when their times comes would it still apply? Like are all athletes who played this year grandfathered in for the allowed extra season and not count against the scholarship cap?
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:08 am

fenway617 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:53 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:05 am So he would be able to qualify for a scholarship in the sense of the school paying for it, if the school agrees to take him back. It's just that said scholarship wouldn't count against the NCAA cap each team can have.

Does this scholarship waiver only apply for next season or if say for example a player who is not a senior wants to play a 5th year when their times comes would it still apply? Like are all athletes who played this year grandfathered in for the allowed extra season and not count against the scholarship cap?

That part I am not sure about.