KAEO: Carl Pierre

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Carl Pierre

Post by LS71 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:50 pm

Shooters are gonna shoot, no doubt about that.

Maybe this is a naïve notion from a fan, but when a player's shots aren't going in, shouldn't coaches encourage said shooter to focus on other aspects of his game and let the game come back to the player instead of letting the player continue to force shots that aren't falling?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:07 pm

YES!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:32 pm

^^ I would think that a player in year 4 would know to do this. Not saying the coach shouldn't remind him, but let's put a little responsibility on a 4th year player to do what's necessary to help the team. If he doesn't, then the coach should yank him.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 pm

I'm not criticizing Carl because the guy works really hard and does what he thinks is best to help the team win. He's a bit of a streaky shooter and will come back to hit the shots that he needs too. He has a higher points/game, rebounds/game, and assists/game than anytime in his career. He's important to the team and will continue to help them win. There are a lot of other things going on with the team that is limiting their success right now.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:06 am

Folks that are suggesting that Carl should have stopped shooting aren't realizing that it's exactly what he did. He was ice cold in the first half while trying to find his shot, and many of those attempts came in one big spurt. I don't know the exact number, but I think he only took one or two shots in the second half. He took 7 total shots, which ties for his season low in attempts, the other being at Northeastern.

This falls 100% on McCall. I said it in the Davidson thread and I'll say it here, Carl was cold, TJ was not. McCall screwed up the substitutions. Carl certainly wasn't forcing his shots.

Edit: I just found it in the play-by-play. From 7:11 to 5:34 in the first half he missed 4 shots. He took and missed one more with 2:31 left. After halftime he only took 2 shots, one at 9:26 remaining, and then the garbage time three he made right at the end. Basically he had that one bad spurt over 2 minutes in the first half and then mostly stopped shooting. He did the right thing, but McCall needed to take him out and let TJ play.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:32 am

I agree this has nothing to do with Carl. He always plays hard for the team. Its more about long stretches of TJ being on the bench. For that matter also Dibaji was on the bench when they went on their run (not sure if he hurt himself again?).

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:10 pm

Yeah, players are never trying to miss shots, some days they fall, other days they don't. Up to the coach to figure all that out and react/substitute accordingly
Time to Win

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Agree! Carl's the man and very good for the program.

No knock on Carl. It's up to the coach to utilize him appropriately. He can't be something he's not.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:33 pm

Carl needs five 3's to pass Anthony Anderson and six to pass Ricky Harris for second place all time. He'll never catch Mack unless he comes back next year. He may end up with a PhD.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:00 pm

Really pretty impressive when you match up names to Carl's accomplishments. Ricky Harris had a great career here and Carl should easily pass him on that 3's number. Really is impressive for a kid with 1 D1 offer. Nice job Carl
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:06 pm

I hope he gets 1 against Fordham (hopefully we won't need a lot) and at least 4 against URI to pass AA. :D

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:49 am

69MG wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:06 pm I hope he gets 1 against Fordham (hopefully we won't need a lot) and at least 4 against URI to pass AA. :D
Great post, getting 5 and doing it against URI in a season sweep on the road is pretty darn special.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:40 am

Congrats on passing Ricky!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:12 am

This is excellent: https://twitter.com/UMassBasketball/sta ... 5754893312

Thank you to Carl for coming to UMass, sticking with UMass, and representing the University the way you have. By all accounts he's a tireless worker and a great person. A 4-year starter and he'll leave here with a Bachelors and a Master's degree. He finished this year as #2 all time in 3-pt field goals made, and his 38.3% 3-pt shooting is above Ricky Harris and Monty Mack.

This is what UMass basketball is all about for me. Watching these young men grow and compete and do the good things. We don't know yet if he'll take the extra year, but if he's not back, I'll just say that he's absolutely been my favorite player to watch these last 4 years. Good luck in the future Cap!

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:05 pm

Who can play 4 years of D1 basketball all while earning a Bachelors and a Masters degree at a top tier research university? That is an impressive display of intellect and time management.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.