KAEO Kieran Hayward

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

KAEO Kieran Hayward

Post by Old Cage » Thu May 18, 2017 6:58 am

An overnight sign-on, first reported by Dewey, and also in a different thread here, but we need a thread for each guy:

"by Gaber205 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:00 am
Dewey on the beat pre-7:00am: Kiernan Hayward transfer from LSU"

Sit one, play three.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUOPFjrFLsn/
Last edited by Old Cage on Thu May 18, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Re: Welcome Kiernan Hayward

Post by mlaconte459 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:07 am

He is going to be a very good A-10 player. Not much at LSU as a freshman but did not get to many minutes. Sounds like he was one of the best defenders on the team as a freshman and was routinely praised for working his butt off on both ends of the court. Even earned a start or two because of his D and hard work.. so it's safe to say McCall really has a type
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 am

"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Thu May 18, 2017 7:20 am

Welcome!

Shooting stats don't look too great but he's got a year to work on that, no reason that can't improve dramatically. Another hard working tough D guy, it does seem MM indeed has a type. Practices should be intense. Steak and ice cream, good choices on the food favs.

This leaves one more scholarship open?, I've lost track...

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:32 am

Welcome to UMass Kieran!

Love guys that play D and have positive attitudes! 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

DTM80
Junior

Post by DTM80 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:43 am

Welcome aboard! Looks like another hard working scrappy player.
Been away and didn't see anything on this signing?

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 am

I actually have a good feeling about this one. He came out of no where on the recruiting trail, after he traveled from Australia to USA for 1 AAU tournament. Then he got attention from LSU, Arizona State and St. Joe's and chose LSU. I had friends from Australia at UMass that loved the environment there, so I'm hoping he will too. Kid seems extremely athletic, and that is something you can't teach, he'll be in the right place at the right time. I hope he becomes a TJ Kline type player for us.

Mr.Stopherson
Freshman

Post by Mr.Stopherson » Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 am

Welcome to Umass

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:39 am

It's Kieran Hayward -- not sure the OP wants to change the title of the thread -- just pointing it out.

Looks fairly athletic and has a nice looking jump shot. Not going to take much from his short stint at LSU -- too small of a sample size. Also not sure he's the next TJ Cline as someone above posted -- not unless he has another growth spurt in him and becomes a forward.

At any rate, that makes for 3 wings coming in next year with Hayward/Cobb/Laurent so we should be good there, but there is still a need for that spot for this year. Makes for a little bit of a conundrum, which is not a word I use often, as it makes me want to punch myself in the face when I do use it.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:48 am

^ I don't know who OP is but maybe OC will make the change... :wink:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu May 18, 2017 9:49 am

Jackson96 wrote:It's Kieran Hayward -- not sure the OP wants to change the title of the thread -- just pointing it out.
Fixed. Blame Dewey. :)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

m626t
Hall of Fame

Re: Welcome Kieran Hayward

Post by m626t » Thu May 18, 2017 10:06 am

practices will be interesting this coming season with all the sit out transfers pushing the eligible players. should be fun.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: Welcome Kieran Hayward

Post by Old Cage » Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 am

It will also be difficult because MM will need to keep the eligible guys together a large % of the time. You can't spend time with mix and match shirts and skins and then have four of the better players not be available for those patterns for games.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu May 18, 2017 10:23 am

Jackson96 wrote:It's Kieran Hayward -- not sure the OP wants to change the title of the thread -- just pointing it out.

Looks fairly athletic and has a nice looking jump shot. Not going to take much from his short stint at LSU -- too small of a sample size. Also not sure he's the next TJ Cline as someone above posted -- not unless he has another growth spurt in him and becomes a forward.

At any rate, that makes for 3 wings coming in next year with Hayward/Cobb/Laurent so we should be good there, but there is still a need for that spot for this year. Makes for a little bit of a conundrum, which is not a word I use often, as it makes me want to punch myself in the face when I do use it.
TJ Cline type player. Playmaker and hard worker. Doesn't mean he has his level of talent. I was going to write that I hope he becomes a poor mans TJ Cline but I didn't want to upset anyone here.