KAEO: ‪Khalea Turner-Morris‬

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
go_gou
Sophomore

Re: KAEO: ‪Khalea Turner-Morris‬

Post by go_gou » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:24 am

Juice Stand wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:51 am McCall mentioned on last night's radio show that he has returned to full practice and is expected to play Wednesday at Richmond.
Thank the lord. If we have KT and Luwane back for the tournament we might actually be able to make a little run.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Am I the only one to think that having Turner-Morris on the court this year has made zero to little impact? I wish we had enough players to have him redshirt, because he has the physique, but oh man, he is still so raw on both sides of the court, especially offensively. Redshirting would have done him wonders. KT needs to play to his size, he is a big and athletic, he needs to work on being more aggressive on the court and do it so efficiently. Not wasting his energy on poor fouls.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:19 pm

^ Completely agree. A redshirt year of just working on mechanics (what sticks out to me most is footwork on defense) could have done him wonders. On the other hand he was/is getting invaluable game experience and he would have had to burn that redshirt anyway once all the issues with our big men started to fester.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:56 pm

??? KTM has made a huge impact simply allowing HInes to play without so much fear about fouling. And by the way, I don't know if you've been attending games, but if you focus on him you'll see he's the best on the team in setting the high pick. His rebounding per 40 minutes (8.5) is pretty close to Hines (9.4). Of course Randall West surpasses them both in that department (11.3).
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:01 am

With the recent additions of Thomas and Baptiste I wonder what's up with KTM. As I look back at last year I must admit that I was a little disappointed that he didn't do more. If I recall, he had an ankle injury at the beginning of the season and it didn't look to me that he was in shape all year. Does anyone else think that?

Here's a video from his prep year at New Hampton School.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-0sAZUxnE

He shows good hands and good footwork, but he has very little elevation. If he's healthy, in shape and progresses the way Malik did he ought to be able to give us a lot more than he did last year. We can use that until Baptiste gets here and gets acclimated to the team.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:27 am

Didn't he get in a car accident and hurt his hip?
Maybe it was worse than expected
Time to Win

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:03 pm

I think KTM has a pretty good basketball iq, he just seemed a step behind a lot of the time, like he wasn’t sure if what he thought to do was the right move. I think a lot of it comes down to him being not only a freshman, but one that feared getting sat since he already had limited PT. Hope we’re able to build up some big leads against our softer non-con opponents so McCall can send him out there with a longer leash to make mistakes and grow. We weren’t good enough to be able to give him that type of leeway last season.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:10 pm

As a first year player Khalea Turner-Morris showed potential, especially rebounding; but he needs to expand his game to get meaning full minutes. Let's see what he does this year. Hopefully McCall can coach him up and he'll have a good year.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 pm

Not saying that KTM does not have a good basketball IQ per se but there is no way we can tell that that he has a good basketball IQ from his playing time during his freshmen year. He had many bad bonehead fouls when he was on the court.

Just a few examples..
vs Georgia - 6 minutes, 3 fouls
vs Dayton - 9 minutes, 3 fouls
vs Saint Louis - 12 minutes, 4 fouls
vs St. Joe's - 3 minutes, 2 fouls

Maybe this had nothing to do with bad IQ, and he is simply slow with his feet and can't keep up with the other players. But with his athleticism, I am not sure if that is actually the case. I do think with the addition of Jalen Thomas recently, that is not good news for KTM in the long run.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:22 pm

Hard to tell about any of this yet. I'll give the kid a chance to get healthy and some time under this staff. Didn't Holloway have a fairly high fouls/minutes played ratio early on as well?
Time to Win

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:42 pm

About half the fouls called on Holloway were guards charging him and bouncing off. He would have position and still get the call.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:05 am

I find it beyond hypocritical (and fairly typical of this board) that so many people are piling on KTM, and CJ Anderson was basically a beloved figure who was not close to the same place as KTM on the progress scale after year 1?

I am not predicting that KTM is going to become the next Harper Williams but he is certainly on track to be more than the next Big Deli!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am

I don't know, I think KTM and CJ (let's just use initials here) were on pretty similar trajectories after year one -- and I think in both cases it is (and was in CJ's case) way too early to draw too many conclusions for their careers.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:31 am

Jackson96 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am I don't know, I think KTM and CJ (let's just use initials here) were on pretty similar trajectories after year one -- and I think in both cases it is (and was in CJ's case) way too early to draw too many conclusions for their careers.
I agree whole heartedly - but nobody was throwing CJ under the bus like many are now with KTM.

Ergo - the Hypocrisy

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:27 am

I recall tons of critical comments on CJ in his first 2 years and I was part of it. His 3 point shooting was atrocious in those 2 years as was his FG% in general. He had a turnaround in year 3 and we all saw a remarkable transformation as a senior. Here are his stats:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... .-anderson

If MM can work the same magic with KTM that he did with Malik and CJ then I see great things upcoming from our frontcourt.