Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:14 am

Looks like Flowers played all 45 minutes of that game as well.

14.7ppg and 10.2rpg on the season thus far.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:57 am

It probably won't happen for awhile (if ever), but it would be nice to have LIU come to Amherst for a game.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am

^ Why? So DK can do an upper decker in the locker room stall?

I can't see DK coming back to UMass as long as Bamford is running the show.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Despite being a pretty bad coach, DK was a good guy, cared about the program, and did get the team to the tourney.

I agree I don't see it happening while Bamford/MM are still in their respective positions.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm

Oh I harbor no ill-will toward the man... However, I can't say the same for him and his family toward the University. Time heals all wounds so hopefully it will be better down the road but my guess is it's too soon now.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Really, nobody should be mad at anyone. UMass made a change and moved on, and DK and family made a very comfortable living at UMass. Things didn't work out, life goes on
Time to Win

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:51 pm

MJatUM wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm Oh I harbor no ill-will toward the man... However, I can't say the same for him and his family toward the University. Time heals all wounds so hopefully it will be better down the road but my guess is it's too soon now.
If you can't see (and appreciate) that you were basically gifted roughly $6.0M - $7.0M over 11 years (not to mention the free 4 year ride at school way back) - I think that is a You problem, not a Bamford problem.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:58 pm

m626t wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:05 pm ^
level of competition may be a factor, in addition to his development.
That was against Merrimack, who has proved to be the exception regarding D2 to D1 upgrades. They're tied for first in the NEC. They're no pushover.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:45 pm

^ And have a win against a Big Ten team this season.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:50 pm

eldonabe wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:51 pm
MJatUM wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm Oh I harbor no ill-will toward the man... However, I can't say the same for him and his family toward the University. Time heals all wounds so hopefully it will be better down the road but my guess is it's too soon now.
If you can't see (and appreciate) that you were basically gifted roughly $6.0M - $7.0M over 11 years (not to mention the free 4 year ride at school way back) - I think that is a You problem, not a Bamford problem.
Disagree. He was very appreciative. He also had just brought in the best recruiting class in school history, arguably. My guess is he believed he was getting at least one more year, never mind more than a day. I don’t think he was going to succeed at the level people wanted, but you have to remember he was the one one guy who got us back to the ncaa tournament. Bamford’s handling of the firing and shitshow hiring process were less than optimal. He worked hard just not smart it seems. I’m not upset he is gone because he wasn’t winning enough. But, I don’t think you can say he was gifted the things he worked hard at.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:36 am

^
Only because I’ve seen this posted before, it is not at all arguable that class was best in school history...Camby, Edgar, Carmelo and Tyrone was a class. Cal had 3 more that were better. This class this year is better.
Don’t want to be a nitpicking poster but when I keep seeing this I cringe

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:45 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:50 pm
eldonabe wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Disagree. He was very appreciative. He also had just brought in the best recruiting class in school history, arguably. My guess is he believed he was getting at least one more year, never mind more than a day. I don’t think he was going to succeed at the level people wanted, but you have to remember he was the one one guy who got us back to the ncaa tournament. Bamford’s handling of the firing and shitshow hiring process were less than optimal. He worked hard just not smart it seems. I’m not upset he is gone because he wasn’t winning enough. But, I don’t think you can say he was gifted the things he worked hard at.

The results are now coming in on "this class"....... notsogood - certainly not the best in school history, I could argue [easily] it wasn't even one of the best 5.

DK was GIFTED all that money. He rode one great player - he did little to nothing before Chaz and little to nothing after Chaz. IDGAF that he took us to one tourney - that was nothing more than a blind squirrel finding a nut. He can beleive he was getting a second year with his "dream team" but Bamford saw that it was a dumpster fire and had to do what he did and I applaud him for that. He knew he would be criticized by most of the fan base, but the fan base didn't understand how out of control it was from his view.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:54 am

This fan did.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:43 am

TheOFFSeason wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:36 am Only because I’ve seen this posted before, it is not at all arguable that class was best in school history...Camby, Edgar, Carmelo and Tyrone was a class. Cal had 3 more that were better. This class this year is better.
Don’t want to be a nitpicking poster but when I keep seeing this I cringe

It was the best class walking in the door per rankings. We obviously have no idea how it would have turned out since no one is still here, and I hardly think anyone is suggesting those guys could have or would have been better than someone like Camby.

Hindsight it 20/20... we all know that.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 am

^ Looks like Camby was a top 50 recruit, not sure about the others in his class.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticu ... story.html

Donta Bright (different class) was a McDonald's all-american, depending on how you factor these things in, you could argue he makes for a better ranked recruiting class all by himself.