Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
fenway617
Hall of Fame

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by fenway617 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:39 pm

Wasn't this somewhat forecasted when he took the job? UM was still paying him for a few years so LUI gave him a lower salary while UM supplemented the rest. Once the UM money went away, they would not be able to up his salary. I know the UM payouts ended a year or two ago so maybe they just couldn't come to an agreement long term and rather than have him stay on as a lame-duck coach they decided to part ways.

But the timing is odd, just a few days ago he posted on social media with the team getting food from an NYC food truck and practicing. And didn't he just hire Brad Calipari as an assistant a few weeks ago?

Maybe we'll see him around Amherst more now because he still has his house in Amherst.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

diplomat
Junior

Post by diplomat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:49 pm

He took the gig to live in the city, in Brooklyn. Then with the merger he was commuting back and forth to Long Island. He probably relieved that commute is over.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:45 am

^ The combined LIU athletics program kept basketball in Brooklyn. He wasn't going to their Post campus in Brookville on a regular basis.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:47 am

fenway617 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:39 pm But the timing is odd, just a few days ago he posted on social media with the team getting food from an NYC food truck and practicing. And didn't he just hire Brad Calipari as an assistant a few weeks ago?
The timing is super odd, and yes, Brad Calipari joined LIU just two months ago.
https://www.aseaofblue.com/2022/4/27/23 ... tball-news

As much as this sucks for Kellogg and his long time staffers, including our guy Matt Vogel, this sucks at another level for Brad who just upended his life to move to NY, and now is at risk for being out of work WAY late in the off-season.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:12 am

I think if you can hire Rod Strickland, you do it no matter the timing and the fallout. And it's LIU, not Kentucky. It's not like you have to worry about a mass exodus after the coach gets canned.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:05 am

natwam2547 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:12 am I think if you can hire Rod Strickland, you do it no matter the timing and the fallout. And it's LIU, not Kentucky. It's not like you have to worry about a mass exodus after the coach gets canned.
Rod was on the kentucky bench with Cal, I am sure Brad will be taken care of by uncle rod. The timing is what sucks esp for a guy like Vogel who has spent the last 15 years with Derek. Is Ty Flowers still there or he finally exhausted his eligibility?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

skizz
Sophomore

Post by skizz » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:31 am

natwam2547 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:12 am I think if you can hire Rod Strickland, you do it no matter the timing and the fallout.
Why? There is nothing on record that says he's a good coach. He's a name coach but his coaching skills are yet to be determined.
FITCTAJ

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:39 am

Adam Finkelstein @AdamFinkelstein · 20m
@LIUBrooklyn President Kimberly R. Cline was already known as an administrator to avoid in college coaching circles, but the timing of this decision sets a new low for @

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits · 48m
LIU F Eral Penn has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:34 pm

^17 PPG, 7.5 RPG

Had 24 and 37 point games in the NEC tournament.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:43 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:05 am Is Ty Flowers still there or he finally exhausted his eligibility?
Ty has played 5 so I think he's done, but maybe COVID bonus year??? I have no idea anymore.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ers-1.html

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:55 pm

skizz wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:31 am
natwam2547 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:12 am I think if you can hire Rod Strickland, you do it no matter the timing and the fallout.
Why? There is nothing on record that says he's a good coach. He's a name coach but his coaching skills are yet to be determined.
Agreed, skizz. Seems LIU's hope is to raise their recruiting profile, by bringing in a guy with G League connections and a pipeline to pro ball. This will/should give LIU an edge over the rest of the NEC, and maybe even some higher tier metro NY schools.

But you're right that this is a big risk from a coaching perspective. Strickland's only true assistant coach role was at South Florida with Orlando Antigua, who didn't even survive a full three years.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:10 pm

Am I right in thinking Cal still has one assistant coach position to fill? I believe he hired one but I think he had two spots to fill.

If so, DK may find himself getting a raise.

He did OK at LIU. One trip to the dance and no years with losing record. Did well in conference. He will land on his feet.
Refuse To Lose!!!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:35 am

There were rumors that Leon Rose (President of the Knicks) was going after Rod Strickland to be an assistant for the Knicks.

Also, I would assume that Rod's son, Tai, who currently plays for Temple will probably transfer to play for his father at LIU as well.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:42 am

Strickland's son already transferred to Georgia Southern