New UMass coach Matt McCall

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
philosopher
Hall of Fame

Re: New UMass coach Matt McCall

Post by philosopher » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:47 pm

eldonabe wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:19 pm It must be Italian......
Only at Christmas when you need a new lamp.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 pm

Refuse2Lose83 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:20 pm For those sitting at home with nothing do (probably most of us) and for those interested In the basics McCalls offense he’ll be speaking as part of this free virtual coaches clinic. Lots of other coaches doing their thing over the next few days for those like me who also coach or are just interested in these types of things. Free, you just have to register.

https://summit.coachesclinic.com/talks/ ... l-offense/
Just a reminder that this is happening tomorrow for those interested in how the UMass offense works.
Hire Matt McCall!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:21 pm

I watched it. A couple of things stood out to me. Firstly, he talked a while about having the right players. That is, players who have a good feel for making the right decisions on the court. Secondly, I was really surprised to see how structured his offense really is. And, in particular, what a key role requiring a lot of judgment is required from the 4 man (as he calls it). I don't really see Samba as having a great feel for the game to go with his athleticism and motor, so I could see him losing a lot of his minutes to Walker and Dominguez. We already got a hint of this with the line-up McCall was planning to put on the court in Brooklyn.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 am

^ Completely agree, his insistence on having a 4-man who can shoot, but even more importantly make smart reads and good passes really stood out... and yeah Samba isn't that guy.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Samba's basketball IQ is still pretty raw. In fact, his entire game is very raw. We saw a huge improvement from Samba in terms of his IQ, strength, and presence on the court from his freshmen to sophomore year. He still has 2 years left here, and I think that improvement will continue to grow throughout the rest of his career here. His stats this year don't show the impact he made on the court this year for UMass; he showed later on in the season that he has the potential to be a double double machine.

There are some tendencies that he has in his game play that should be fixed immediately - most importantly, driving to the basket strictly looking to get fouled. The opposing defender will start to acknowledge that and simply force you into a tough shot every time without fouling you and your mind is set on being fouled, not making the shot. In transition, he needs to be more patient and think ahead when attacking the basket. Lastly, this is not correct strategy because his free throw shooting is average at the moment.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Now that Niles is doing his victory dance over Sean East I see he is ready to move on to denigrating Samba’s game. What a fan, Mr. Fantasy Basketball is!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:09 pm

I think Samba was probably one of the most improved last year and will continue to improve.
Refuse To Lose!!!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:57 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:09 pm I think Samba was probably one of the most improved last year and will continue to improve.
I was excited about Samba after his freshman season, but he didn't seem to improve as much as I was expecting (I expected a lot). He still gives everything he has on every possession, and is a good rebounder - both are very valuable traits... but his outside shooting was worse, he can't seem to finish at the rim very well, and his passing/playmaking ability is kind of nonexistent.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:30 pm

I like the energy Samba brings and he certainly got stronger from freshman to soph years. But I do agree with Niles that he doesn't finish at the rim nearly as well as he should for someone that athletic. He missed more close in shots last year than I can count. In comparison, i can only remember Preston missing 1 of those and he was really mad at himself.

I do think that Samba is coachable and hope that the weaker parts of his game can be developed.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:55 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pm Now that Niles is doing his victory dance over Sean East I see he is ready to move on to denigrating Samba’s game. What a fan, Mr. Fantasy Basketball is!
:lol: :lol:
69MG wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:30 pm I like the energy Samba brings and he certainly got stronger from freshman to soph years. But I do agree with Niles that he doesn't finish at the rim nearly as well as he should for someone that athletic. He missed more close in shots last year than I can count. In comparison, i can only remember Preston missing 1 of those and he was really mad at himself.

I do think that Samba is coachable and hope that the weaker parts of his game can be developed.
I think the reason for that is what I mentioned before, his mentality was wrong. He expected contact every time he went to finish at the rim, and didn’t maneuver in game speed quick to enough to adjust the shot/idea in the air. He didn’t start playing basketball until his teens and sat out his senior year of high school. I no doubt believe that Samba is hungry to get better every year.

Samba’s biggest con last season was the same as every other player last season except for Tre, inconsistency.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:45 pm

Bergeron speaking tonight at 7 on the press on the same virtual clinic MM presented on.
Hire Matt McCall!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:55 pm

Youtube decided to recommend to me this video about hoops offense. It's pretty interesting and not too long (8+ minutes). Nothing specifically to do with McCall but here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMdPLhA ... io=1&t=581
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:24 pm

Coach and his wife just welcomed their 3rd child. They had a boy. Congrats, Coach!

https://twitter.com/CoachMattMcCall/sta ... 16516?s=20
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:13 pm

Congrats to Coach McCall and his wife. May the little dude bring some luck to the team and get us going on a nice run. Congrats Matt & family
Time to Win

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:53 pm

Doesn’t coach know he does better with a shorter bench?

Congrats to the McCall family!
"I wrote a column and it went national"