1/21/17 poll - Is it time for a new head coach?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Is it time for a new head coach?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 92

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

1/21/17 poll - Is it time for a new head coach?

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Very simple, is it time for UMass to get a new head coach. Let's assume we're talking about at the conclusion of the CURRENT season.
Last edited by NilesGold on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MikeEsq
Senior

Re: Is it time for a new head coach?

Post by MikeEsq » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Niles, dude, seriously, did someone hijack your handle? When you're starting threads like this, the rest of us know that we're on the right side of history.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Yup, shouldn't even be a question.. let's hope Bamford pulls the trigger
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:31 pm

mlaconte459 wrote:Yup, shouldn't even be a question.. let's hope Bamford pulls the trigger
But Bamford has to strategize to keep the freshmen here. I would have a players-only meeting with them and somehow keep them involved in the hiring search. No joke.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:34 pm

^agreed, and so far it seems he has made two slam dunk hires for WBB & Hockey.. a good coach would relish at the opportunities to recruit with the resources Umass can offer

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:36 pm

MikeEsq wrote:Niles, dude, seriously, did someone hijack your handle? When you're starting threads like this, the rest of us know that we're on the right side of history.
I want to get a tangible & objective appraisal of what the die-hard fans think.

Personally, the last 2.5 seasons have been agonizing. The excuses for this loss and that loss just don't work for me anymore. UMass can, and should, be doing better than this.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:51 pm

My doctor says being diehard UMass fan is very damaging to my health seeing I'm 66. The FB and BB teams have taken their toll . . got to stay away!

SpringWater
Freshman

Who should be the new coach next Year

Post by SpringWater » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Derek needs to go so who should be the coach next year

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:28 pm

At this point I'm really curious if Bamford can do anything about the inept coaching of this team. Can you pay DK $1 million for 2 years while also paying his replacement? You can get away with it for a year but I'm not sure about 2. Also how many years does DK actually have left on his contract I know he has 2 guaranteed years left with 2 potential option years that the Athletic Department could exercise. Were either of those picked up? As far as the freshmen go a couple might leave but I think it's a small price to pay compared to what will happen if Kellogg continues to run this program into the ground. If we do hire a good coach he'll be able to bring in good players which would off set a player or 2 leaving. Something needs to happen sooner than later or its going to get uglier than it already is

Jacks statman
Freshman

Post by Jacks statman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:47 pm

This is what makes this forum so difficult to read. Leave this type of bull for after the season. Enjoy this exciting group of young talented players, expecting the mistakes they are making are growing pains experienced by most programs starting 3 freshmen and a sophomore.

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:51 pm

If I were Bamford I would simple use .500 in league play as the barometer.

Frigidevil
Sophomore

Post by Frigidevil » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:55 pm

If you take out the stupid turnovers on outlet passes (trying to be too flashy) and unnecessary 3s (hero ball), both of which can be attributed to freshmen being freshmen, this is the most enjoyable UMass team I've ever had the privilege to watch. Yes, even more so than the Chaz days. It's especially enjoyable after watching my Nets try to survive in the toxic wasteland Billy King has dumped them in.

We haven't had the success we want, but that's to be expected in a year where over half our team has less than two years experience in the A10. Holloway is already showing he's going to be a nightmare for the rest of the league, and Deeky has flashes of brilliance every game. We lost 4 games by 1 basket. Losing sucks, but for the first time in the 10 years I've followed this team, I can actually see amazing things in our future.
Jacks statman wrote:This is what makes this forum so difficult to read. Leave this type of bull for after the season. Enjoy this exciting group of young talented players, expecting the mistakes they are making are growing pains experienced by most programs starting 3 freshmen and a sophomore.
Amen to that.
Last edited by Frigidevil on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:56 pm

if bamford does not fire ck does that put bamford on the hot seat? I think it should

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Jacks statman wrote:This is what makes this forum so difficult to read. Leave this type of bull for after the season. Enjoy this exciting group of young talented players, expecting the mistakes they are making are growing pains experienced by most programs starting 3 freshmen and a sophomore.
The ability to call and then run an out of bounds play...you know, an actual play (which by the way they have but I guess chose to not use)...is not a players' mistake. It is coaching pure an simple. There is no enjoyment watching ineptitude.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:59 pm

How many years will you people continue to accept the same mistakes?? We have had little to no success since DK took over NINE years ago.. if we had a decent head coach this years team would already look so much better.. the only reason we are in games is because we have such good talent.. the coaching is lousy at best