KAEO Tyrn Flowers 2016

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
wmmmfan
Senior

KAEO Tyrn Flowers 2016

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:56 pm

I mentioned Tyrn in the 2016 thread but now it is confirmed DK has offered.
http://hubs.ly/y0V7zm0

I like Tyrn's game and hopefully we will get his commitment to play in Amherst.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Tyrn Flowers 2016

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:49 pm

^ Do you think he could be the type to carry a team?

I really like what I saw from him and think he could be really good in a complementary role, which is what he's done in HS and AAU. I'd definitely like to see at least one kid in the 2016 class that can be an alpha dog type and carry the scoring load and create their own shot, and I don't know if Flowers is that guy.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm hearing good things about him becoming more assertive this summer and with Petteway off to Tilton this upcoming HS season will tell more. He continues to improve from year to year so as his confidence grows he could become that take charge guy.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:44 am

It looks like Flowers is really blossoming (I'm so sorry!). MVP of the recently held "Rumble in the Bronx".
http://www.hardwoodinsiders.com/news_ar ... id=1595484

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:46 am

Certainly not a very highly rated player, I can't even find him listed on any of the major recruiting services. But still he's a very intriguing player. Sounds like he has a lot of potential that for understandable reasons he hasn't fulfilled yet (late growth spurt and played behind two other D1 caliber kids), but is maybe just starting to put it together. Reminds me of a Tyler Harris type of player, thin, decent athleticism, good shot and ballhandling. Rather skilled and well-rounded for a 6-7 kid.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:34 pm

Here is a video highlight of Tyrn, one thing to keep in mind when watching Tyrn is he grew 4" in the last year and appears to be putting it all together. His 17U MVP award from this past weekend's Rumble in the Bronx is evidence of things beginning to click for him.

http://t.co/Kyu5q0Jcxr

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:33 pm

^ You seem to be much more familiar with local HS players than most on here. Flowers is ranked as the #42 prospect in New England in '16 by NERR.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... ss-of-2016

If you were to rank Flowers, roughly where would he go?

As a side note, it would seem that UMass is heavily recruiting New England in the 2016 class, even more so than years past. Of the top 20 NE kids per NERR, I'm aware of 10 who've been offered by UMass.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Looks smooth and pretty skilled. Maybe underated/late bloomer?

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Niles when the after summer rankings come out Tyrn should easily be top 20, I would put him in the top 15 in NE at that time. may not sound great but NE has many strong players this year. 10 sounds about right as to the number of players UM is involved with.

Insider
Tyrn is definately a late bloomer. His growth spurt and being option #3 at SHHS behind Heron and Petteway limited his opportunities to display his game.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Maybe DK will finally get that kid who turns into a super star
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Almontis
Junior

Post by Almontis » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:29 am

I appreciate your cynicism uz2b-len because I feel the same way.

As a fan, though, I'm curious as to the staff's turn toward focusing on NE players. I understand there's talent, but it didn't seem to be as much of a focus before. I'm wondering if the staff is working on modifying the identity of the team as THE local option, or has just developed/strengthened relationships in the area.

Anyway, it's somehow freeing not to have expectations for the season. It's a more dispassionate approach but will prevent some resentment down the line

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 am

I'm not sure we really know how much emphasis is being put on local kids vs. national kids and I'm not sure how much we can compare it to the past. There's A LOT we don't know about recruiting. At the same time, the amount we do know (or least read on the internet) has only grown from previous years so perhaps that has fueled the perception that we are trying to recruit more locally now. Maybe we are, maybe we aren't. I don't necessarily think you can say one way or the other, unless you really know how the sausage is made. Recruiting news on the internet is great, but I'm not necessarily sure it does that. Some programs are more open with their recruiting than others. Some "experts" have better sources at different programs so their information is not only more accurate for those programs, but there is also more information as well.

Also, the 2016 is a particularly big class we have to fill. To me it looks like we have a lot of different things going on and there are a lot of moving parts. I have no idea where the heavy emphasis is being placed. One "offer" does not necessarily equal another "offer". "High interest" to one person could mean "passing interest" to another person. You can go on and on with this stuff (I guess I kinda have).

I follow recruiting and find it enjoyable, but I recognize I don't really know shit so I try not to go too crazy with it. In the end, I just want us to get good kids who can play and who want to play at UMass.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:26 am

Also, my customary reaction to this kid: sounds intriguing. I like kids who have growth spurts yet still have their perimeter skills.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am

I think that this is a situation where if we don't lock him up early we will lose him to a power conference team. As Niles said, he's barely mentioned on the traditional recruiting sites. However, you can be sure that the "insiders" know who he is and that info is already in the hands of a bunch of high major programs.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Tyrn checks in at number 16 in the NERR New England rankings.

Tyrn had a huge summer and bolted into the top 20 in NE. His recruitment will be interesting to follow, I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrn takes a post graduate year next year rather than go directly to college. I really like his game and upside potential but an extra year would do him well physically.