KAEO Unique McLean (2016)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Unique McLean (2016)

Post by 69MG » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:51 pm

baseline47 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:41 pm Pipkins really improved his second year. His outside shot was so much better. How did that happen? Why was he so much better his second year? If it was a coach who helped him improve his shot, maybe the same coach could help Unique? I like Unique's his size, strength, athleticism, defense; but he needs to finish better (in the paint) and improve his outside shot. If he can score better, Unique will get plenty of minutes.
This got me thinking about the huge improvements made by LP, Malik and CJ in their first year under the new coaching staff. Those 3 all had significant playing time before McCall arrived. Can the coaches work the same magic with Unique and KTM? They had zero playing time before McCall arrived and they now have some experience. If these two can show anywhere near the same level of improvement we will have a very deep team.

I knew LP could be a much better player but I never thought that Malik and CJ could play at the level we saw last year. That gives me a little hope about Unique and KTM.

Maroon colored glasses signing off for now.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Don't forget about CP12 , 69. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this staff has a keen sense of a player's talents and works to maximize those talents to best fit how that player can help the team. Rarely did we see guys go rogue last year doing their own thing, everyone played for the team. No doubt Unique can work on some things but I was impressed with the work he did last year on the defensive end and his rebounding. He worked hard to contribute in ways he could, and I'm sure the staff has outlined what he needs to improve on. I just like how they all trust the process and eat up what McCall is teaching them. It really showed last year and I believe Unique will be a dynamic piece that can contribute in a lot of ways
Time to Win

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Bamford has erased McCutcheon

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 pm

you realize thats 2 years old right??

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm

TheInsider wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 pm you realize thats 2 years old right??
Even at 2 years old it's still a WHOA! I mean this guy has hops which we all know by now. For a 6'2" guard he is number 7 on the all-time rebound list for freshmen. Oops, did I let something out?

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:04 pm

This was at the open practice at Basketball Hall of Fame in 2016:

https://instagram.com/p/BLihr3ag_sby9wu ... yAPrHuN00/
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

classof62-64
Sophomore

Post by classof62-64 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:10 pm

I haven't been able to watch a TV game for a month or so - but do take a look at every box score. So, here's this guy who was buried on the bench and the subject of transfer talk early in the season - now getting 30+ minutes of PT/game. He's not scoring much. Must be bringing something to the table. Is he our Marcus Smart?

Kudos to him if he just stuck in there, competed hard and made the most of every playing opportunity. Maybe we need a few more like him.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:17 pm

I haven't been a big fan of Unique. Even before he arrived on campus he sounded pretty one dimensional. And last year he was really frustrating in his inability to shoot a lay-up or foul shot. It didn't occur to me that he was a freshman who could improve his skills. I really thought the guy has been playing organized basketball for years, if he hasn't learned how to shoot a layup or foul shot by now, then when? Not only that, despite his athleticism he wasn't that great on defense. I didn't seem him responding quickly enough. But I was wrong. He has really improved his game. For starters, he just doesn't attempt layups off the backboard but he does show a nice floater that goes down pretty consistently. That's an improvement. His foul shooting is vastly improved, as he's made quite a few in a row at this point. He has been very effective on defense at times. The second half today was one of those times. Maybe he matches up better against a bigger wing who is not super quick. I always thought he played pretty smart, and he continues to show that. Then of course we get his excellent rebounding and the high reel dunks every game. He played 38 minutes today, which is a metric of the coach's high regard for him. I'm gonna be sorry to see him go if does the grad transfer after this year, which is the rumor. I didn't give him the benefit of the doubt last year and I was wrong. I'm glad he's on the team.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 pm

capezona wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm
TheInsider wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 pm you realize thats 2 years old right??
Even at 2 years old it's still a WHOA! I mean this guy has hops which we all know by now. For a 6'2" guard he is number 7 on the all-time rebound list for freshmen. Oops, did I let something out?
I presusme that's all-time UMass.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:16 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 pm
capezona wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm
I presusme that's all-time UMass.
Yes, UMass. The top 7 freshmen rebounders (total rebounds) in UMass history (obviously todays players play more games):

Rashaun Freeman
Horace Neysmith
Lou Roe
Edwin Green
Marcus Camby
Terrell Vinson
Unique McLean

He clearly won't match that this year because he hasn't gotten the minutes.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Some pretty good company there. I hope Unique has seen this list.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:45 am

Well said Len. I'm really happy to see Unique getting the minutes and doing well as part of a t-e-a-m. That's where his value is, at doing some of the things the other guys don't or can't, and every once in a while, his athleticism shines through at critical moments like the put back in yesterday's game, and the inbounds-play dunk against Dayton last year.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:52 am

Juice Stand wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:45 am Well said Len. I'm really happy to see Unique getting the minutes and doing well as part of a t-e-a-m. That's where his value is, at doing some of the things the other guys don't or can't, and every once in a while, his athleticism shines through at critical moments like the put back in yesterday's game, and the inbounds-play dunk against Dayton last year.
The ball moves better when he is out there...it doesn’t stick in his hands

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:14 am

That putback dunk yesterday was CRAZY by Unique.
Those plays give so much energy its sick. I agree with len, his ft shooting has improved, he's always rebounded well, his D is improving, and he knows his limitations on shooting range. I like the kid and hope he sticks around
Time to Win

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:15 am

^ Agree 100% He always plays hard too.

I like his ability/willingness to play defense. As yesterday's put-back slam showed, he's a weapon around the offensive glass...almost Will Herndon-ish. Will was listed at 6'3", right?

He's got a nose for the ball. Given how streaky shooters can be, it's nice to have a guy like him roaming the offensive glass looking for put-back opportunities.

If I'm MM, I'd worry less about his developing a shot (not that he shouldn't work on that) and find ways to work his strengths into the offense.

Alley-ops and put-backs get crowds going...just saying.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving