Dk to bc???

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Miami (Oh) Yeah !
Sophomore

Post by Miami (Oh) Yeah ! » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:02 pm

14 months ago Brad Bates was the Miami-O Athletic Director so let me add some perspective.

First of all, most felt Bates was a terrible AD, was bad at fund raising, had several bad scheduling decisions, and had no vision for our athletic department. All our major sports declined in his presence and he made terrible hiring decisions. We were shocked that BC hired him away but also very happy. Our new AD is 10x better and is setting record after record for fund raising and has a clear vision. BC did Miami a huge favor and as UMass fans you should be thrilled that BC has him as AD.

Secondly, It would be very much out of Bates past character to meet a coach he was interviewing on campus. Bates always flew to a neutral location and met the coaches there to interview. Bates wouldn't step on campus unless the deal was done and then would send a private plane to pickup the coach and then hold an immediate announcement that he/she was hired. Unless DK has already signed on with BC and the announcement will be tonight or tomorrow morning. Im just not buying this story and how did the original poster know what Brad Bates looks like and recognized him out of nowhere while driving down the street?

Lasty, Bates never hired a good coach before so if you guys think DK is a good coach, no way does Bates hire him away so don't sweat it.

chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Marty Peretz wrote:BC is a slightly better job than UMass right now. Better pay, better conference, better location , more resources.
One could debate your other "betters" Marty, but location? You can have it. And yes, I lived in Cambridge for four years.
There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell 'em. L. Armstrong

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:13 pm

I'll bet any amount of money anyone cares to wager that DK is not offered the BC job.

How many of you would have been happy six years ago if you were told in DK's first six years he would get us into one NCAA tournament and in that one year we would be blown out by a lower seeded team? Maybe I'm crazy but my expectations for my school's basketball is better than that.

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:51 pm

Not Trigger wrote:I'll bet any amount of money anyone cares to wager that DK is not offered the BC job.

How many of you would have been happy six years ago if you were told in DK's first six years he would get us into one NCAA tournament and in that one year we would be blown out by a lower seeded team? Maybe I'm crazy but my expectations for my school's basketball is better than that.
Why? Once Forbes and Co. left we had next to nothingleft and NOBODY coming in (thank you Travis Carpetbagger). So we were a underfunded, non-bigtime football, no recent achievement basketball program. Why would you expect better?

chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Apparently BC has its heart set on Tommy Amaker. This is because they've come to realize that what they really need, given the high academic standards and entitled attitude of BC, a coach from the Ivy League who has had success in D1 hoops is the answer. Rather than getting some coach from a lesser school or class, say a public university like Rhode Island, get quality. Archie Miller? Dayton may be Catholic, but no way - he has a freakin' biker girl wife! Get a solid guy from the Ivies! It'll translate directly to Chestnut Hill.

Just like that guy from Cornell.
There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell 'em. L. Armstrong

BTHoops
Senior

Post by BTHoops » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:55 pm

NotTrigger, what do you base your expectations on? The Calipari years? I find it hard to believe the UMass program inspires such expectations based on our program history. The truth is in the media guide my friend. We are NOT a college basketball blue blood and we do not have a history of success in college basketball.

Just so I know can you please clarify your short and long term expectations? Also, what is your program floor and program ceiling?

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:16 pm

I expect UMass to be an upper-tier Atlantic 10 team team. Perennially contend for an A10 title, make the tournament a third to a half the time and once in the tournament occasionally make some noise.

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:18 pm

+1

BTHoops
Senior

Post by BTHoops » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:46 pm

I don't necessarily disagree with those expectations. Personally I'd like to finish in the top 3rd of the league and contend for a tournament bye (top 4) regularly. Occasionally, I would like to contend for a league title. I want to regularly be in the post season hunt NIT or NCAA. An NCAA bid should be half to a third of the time (this is an upgrade on our program history). Once in the NCAA's it's all a crap shoot based on matchups, strength of team, upsets in bracket, etc. So I do not expect NCAA noise, but being in the tourney gives us a chance.

Based on DK's first 6 years you should be THRILLED though. DK had to build it to this current level and now I hope to sustain with him as coach with the above expecations. I would argue a healthy Cady in 2011/2012 may have been the difference between NIT final four and an NCAA bid. I would argue a healthy Jesse Morgan in 2012/2013 is the difference between an NIT bid and an NCAA bid (they were essentially one or two wins away). We were healthy in 2013/2014 and made the NCAAs. That's a solid three seasons in my view.

Sampson and Putney, yes 5th year guys, we're essentally DK's first recruits (with Riley and TV). DK was hired in late March/early April so that 1st year recruiting was not his crew. so it took three years to reach the sustainable level. I am THRILLED with the first 6 years. the expectation bar should be set now that a program is in place. Seeing the first group of players now go through a full cycle/class was the building blocks.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Not Trigger wrote:I expect UMass to be an upper-tier Atlantic 10 team team. Perennially contend for an A10 title, make the tournament a third to a half the time and once in the tournament occasionally make some noise.

Isn't that precisely what we are turning our program into??????

After 3 years of struggles under a 1st time head coach, we've now had 3 straight 20+ win season, finished in the upper-tier of the A-10 in either the regular season, tournament or both, have gone to three straight post-seasons with the most recent being the NCAA. I could be wrong, but it looks to me like we are trending exactly the way you want us to.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

bunkerhill87
Senior

Post by bunkerhill87 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:08 am

Tommy Amaker is BCs next coach. No way DK goes.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:49 am

Agree about DK. But why would Amaker take the job?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

bunkerhill87
Senior

Post by bunkerhill87 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:56 am

I think Amamker goes because its his chance for the next level. Great job at Harvard no question. He is a proven commodity.

one other choice of the radar is St bonas Schmidt. played at BC. he has done a tremedous job down in Olean

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 am

Two words to those who think DK is going to BC...'sober up'!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

sleepy sheep
Junior

Post by sleepy sheep » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:26 am

So Preecher, care to follow up on your claims?