Game 33, 2013-14: Tennessee (NCAA Round of 64)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Well to defend 78.... We didn't play like a team in the 2nd half of the year. We came back on those teams because we were more talented and should have never been down in the first place.

UMass1927
Sophomore

Post by UMass1927 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Jackman wrote:
Kosty wrote:This is NOT an unfavorable matchup......this is a shitty shooting team that has WAY too many turnovers. This is not on Tennessee.....this is squarely on this team and that crappy defense they have played all game and the fact that they haven't shot for SHIT the past 6-7 games!!!
It was an unfavorable matchup. That's not an excuse, just reality. Our team is too one-dimensional. Our offense relies too heavily on driving to the basket. Even with more sophisticated offensive sets, it would have been difficult to force the issue with Tennessee's bigs just by charging at the rim. We don't have the outside shooting threats to pull any defense out of sagging into the paint.

Our defense relies too much on the opponent having poor ball handling, and failing that we rely upon our athleticism to bail us out. Tennessee had at least adequate ballhandling, and the bulk to overcome whatever athleticism advantage we might have had. We don't have the right players nor defensive scheme to force a suspect shooting team into taking perimeter shots.

Part of this is simply a fact of life. There are no perfect teams in the Atlantic 10, because we don't get to recruit perfect players in the A10. You can specifically recruit for and build around a system like VCU and SLU do, but those teams are vulnerable to certain matchups too. Every one-dimensional offensive and defensive strategy has a strategy that perfectly counters it.

Our current limitation at UMass is we have a one dimensional offense and defense, and we aren't necessarily exceptional at our chosen one dimension, especially on defense. We don't have the bench rotation to play defense like VCU and blow all our energy chasing low percentage plays. Unless we're playing 9 or 10 deep next season, this needs to stop. If we're playing 7, we need to conserve energy on defense and keep our better offensive threats on the floor longer. We need a serious zone defense option in our back pocket, not a 3-2 gimmick we barely know how to play. Playing one style of defense exceptionally well gives us a chance against superior teams vulnerable to that style. Playing multiple defenses well gives us more options against fellow A10 teams who mostly only do one thing well on offense.

On offense, we need a better 3pt shooter than Sampson Carter, and we need more sophistication in Lalanne's offensive game. He can be a monster for us, but he doesn't play with enough explosiveness and confidence, and we can't keep the middle open enough for him when all the defense has to worry about is picking up our guards when they drive

It's a process. There are better teams than Tennessee we could have beaten today, and there are worse teams we still could have lost to, such as George Mason. If we don't want to leave ourselves vulnerable to matchups that counter our one-dimensional strategies, we'll have to become less one-dimensional.
I agree with all of this. Mybe getting kicked in the teeth today will convince DK to consider hiring an assistant coach whose bread and butter is tactics.

A guy like that in the meeting rooms and in practice could go a long way in DK's progression.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:51 pm

DK's gotta get some skilled big men with bulk either overseas or a under the radar guy in the States. I think Tennessee is a lot more athletic than they got credit for. Their guards are impressive. I think if we play them 10 times we lose 9!

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:09 pm

Well a new era begins tomorrow, and I have a feeling we will see some changes to the offense next season.

With Chaz, DK could just put the ball in his hands and let him go. Unfortunately this seriously retarded the development of the other players offensively. When you have a special player like Chaz sometimes that happens.

My guess is DK will evolve again as a coach and we will see a better half court game to go with our aggressive style of play. I'm excited to see Trey run the team and take on a leadership role as well as see if Jabari can regain his HS form.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:16 pm

According to this article by Malone the starting lineup change was a last minute decision. Which I think makes it even worse, shocks Putney and makes him starting questioning things, and Maxie has to change his mindset in a short amount of time. Didn't like it when I saw it, like it even less now.

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... ry-1[quote][/quote]
Hire Matt McCall!

BR72
Junior

Post by BR72 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:20 pm

I hope DK does continue to evolve and, despite my qualms about his coaching abilities, you have to judge him on his record which I think we all can agree has been good. I would like to see across the board improvement in the fundamentals of the game. I think this team has relied too much on their athleticism and needs more focus on the basics of the game.

I am not as optimistic about next year's team being better since that belief assumes that all these players who we have essentially never seen play will be better than those who they will be replacing. While I certainly have issues with some of the departing seniors, they were a big part of the 16-1 run and I don't buy that all these newcomers are going to play at that level out of the gate.

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Maybe they will get better as the season progresses. The key is to peak late instead of peaking early. I am however concerned with DK's decision making ( I.e. His last minute lineup change)

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:42 pm

This was incredibly unpredictable.....oh wait.

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Direct quote from one of my fourth graders after we watched the first half in class:

"Now I know why UMass hasn't made this tournament in 16 years."
BUMPA wrote: You are one jaded dude.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:56 pm

After seeing this game it is pretty clear Tennessee underachieved for most of this season. We have no answers to a frontcourt with a very talented player in Stokes and a beefy center like Maymon. Then you have a backcourt with a player the caliber of McRae. Talent wise they are significantly better.

I am very happy with the season we had and appreciate the contributions of Chaz (especially) and Sampson and Putney to get us to where we are.

It was a good ride.

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:18 pm

I think that game was a classic example of a team that was unprepared for the bright lights. From DK making an ill-advised lineup change, to playing too slowly, to turnovers, poor communication, guys passing up open shots, missing bunnies, etc. etc. etc.

From the beginning we looked out of sorts, doing things we haven't done all season and not doing things we have done previously.

I was glad to see them show some fight in the second half but that game was over well before the first half ended.

It was a very depressing way to end an otherwise great season for us but I still feel 100 times better than I did at the end of last season. Progress!!

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Kosty wrote:
78 wrote:
Bueno97 wrote:
We should never have been a six seed.
Do you really think it would have been a different result had we been an 8 or 9???? Seriously??
Lower seed would have meant a game against a higher seed than a play-in #11 and a bigger blow out. This was a .500 team since they were 16-1.
Very disappointing ends to the last two seasons. The 2-6 record in second games this year says a lot about the quality of our coaching as it relates to game preparation and in-game coaching.

Making a change in the starting line-up today was a huge mistake. Took away the benefits that Esho brought off the bench and added nothing to the starting line-up. The freshman played the amount they did because they didn't have the talent or experience to play more.

Other than TD and to a lesser extent DG, no one on this team improved as the year wore on......and they only played 8 players, so there was plenty of opportunity to improve.

DK has gotten the team to the 20+ win plateau, which is commendable, but his non-conference post season showings the past two years could indicate that he has advanced as far as he can......will need to show more next year............or........????

UMass1991
Junior

Post by UMass1991 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Umass needs a kid off the farm that does nothing but hit 3s

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Well said trublumaroon

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Went to a lot of games at UMASS in second half, saw most on TV.

Unfortunately, we were a .500 team in the second half, a fact. Part was A10 was loaded, part was the other coaches learned how to beat us, especially in getting back on D fast, and watching us either rush the ball up out of control, or play good D without much in the way of set plays. So I agree with the lack of O options.

DK made a huge mistake in changing the lineup at last second. Maxie supplied huge energy shot, and RP did not have a very good last 1/3 of the season. What we did not need was to have him surprised, which could only hurt his confidence.

Chaz - an incredibly electric player, and truly played like a 3rd team All American for 2/3 of the season as well, and he had those moments of brilliance even late into the season. But, we were too dependent on him, i think that he felt it, and started pressing.

Speed/length versus muscle. Tenn was a bad match up for us if the game was not all about steals, and up and down. We had 4, exactly 4, fast break points. That is a recipe for a UMASS loss anytime, and it was.

Last. Should DK have played more than about 7? Yes. He gambled that it was all about this season, so there will be growing pains as the others come in and mature. He gave it his best shot, and he was there throughout - we arm chair QB's were not.

I can say I had a tremendous amount of fun this season - they won a lot of games with last minute comebacks, and were anything but dull. The team brought my whole family together in discussing games, and crazy situations/highlights.

A great season, and only 1 team in D1 is not ultimately disappointed. Besides, Coach 'big mouth' K lost to Mercer - so Karma is a bitch Dookies.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...