Chaz Williams Post UMass

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

At what level will Chaz Williams play post-UMass?

Drafted by NBA team
4%
Undrafted but eventually signed by an NBA team
29%
NBA D-League
18%
European basketball league
49%

Total votes: 68

EBox
Senior

Chaz Williams Post UMass

Post by EBox » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:21 am

I realize this is a bit early but with 36 hours until gametime, I wanted to get people's thoughts about Chaz's future prospects at this point, based on how he has played to date.

The commentators always mention him passing up the deal to play in Turkey last year, and there is no doubt he would play in Europe at a minimum.

Between all the big names coming out (Parker, Wiggins, Embiid, Randle, McDermott), plus the typical other underclassman who will make a strong impression to the NBA, I personally think he won't be drafted but will get picked up by someone.

Draft Express rates him as the #61 senior in the NCAA. http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/NCAA-Seniors/

Calmass9
Junior

Post by Calmass9 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:15 am

I just dont see him as an NBA player unless he absolutely lights up the Chicago workouts. He's a hell of a player, and pretty much the perfect prototype of a guy who will have a long and fruitful career overseas. I understand the desire to compare him to Isaiah Thomas (the current one) or Nate, but I think Chaz is a step below both of those guys in athleticism even though he might be as skilled a player. Not a knock on Chaz, he's going to make a lot of money in Europe, but it is almost impossible to play in the NBA at his size.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:22 am

Hard to see him as a NBA player. He needs to play to get into a groove so coming off the bench would be hard.

I do recall reading or hearing an interview with him or Kellogg earlier this season when they talked about how he was considering turning pro last spring. One of them said the had NBA feelers who said Chaz was 2nd round pick material.

I just don't see it. Not in the NBA.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:29 am

Amazing what a difference 3" makes. He would never have played for UMass and would be in the NBA by now.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

MassModestMouse
Senior

Post by MassModestMouse » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:07 am

I don't think he'll be drafted, but I would bet money that you'll see his name on an NBA roster at some point in his career. I don't think he'll ever be a substantial contributor to a team per se, but I'd bet money he makes a roster at some point down the line.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:10 am

He can go to the NBA and be one of those as they saying baseball AAAA players, not good enough to be on the major league roster all season but good enough to be called up when needed and play in the D-league. Or he can go to Europe and be a star like Lou Roe did when he left his short stint in the NBA.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:10 am

As we've seen this year, Chaz struggles against teams with size and length. I just don't see him having a career in the NBA. Probably could get a cup of coffee to use a baseball term, but the smart move would be to go oversea's. He was offered a pretty nice deal prior to this year, and I'm sure he'll get a pretty similar one if not better one after this season.
Hire Matt McCall!

DKera
Junior

Post by DKera » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:23 am

Like a few others have said, I think there is almost no chance he gets drafted, barring maybe a spectacular tourney run led by amazing play by Chaz (Elite 8 or Final 4). Even that probably wouldn't get him drafted though.

I think it is unlikely that he becomes a contributing member of an NBA team, even though nothing would make me happier as Chaz is one of my top 3 favorite athletes of all time.

People should be careful when counting Chaz out though. He has been doubted his entire life and has proven people wrong over and over. The kid has more heart and drive than almost any athlete I have ever followed.

If by some chance he does get drafted or end up on an NBA roster, I would say there is at least a 50% chance I quit my job and put my life on hold to move to whatever NBA city Chaz ends up in (at which point Chaz probably gets a restraining order against me).

outsidethebox008
Junior

Post by outsidethebox008 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:42 am

Chaz won't get drafted but I do think he will sign with a team. He could be a fan favorite coming off of the bench for a few minutes a game for an up tempo team like the Nuggets or Warriors.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 pm

wherever he ends up, he'll do fine. Kid is a warrior. I'm sure he'll go wherever is best for his family, and he should
Time to Win

diplomat
Junior

Post by diplomat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Its going to be interesting to see where chaz ends up. Europe is a great opportunity for him to support his daughter and family but I cant see him moving overseas and missing out on his daughter growing up.

The Camby Man Can
Junior

Post by The Camby Man Can » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 pm

if this year's draft was filled with last year's draft talent, i think late second round would have been a potential.....

that said, I still think he could be a late late second round selection (based on sources I have working in the NBA) if he plays at an exceptional level over the next two months and into the draft camps.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:15 pm

I think Chaz is likely going to be the biggest fish in the biggest pond he can find. Long and lucrative career overseas. I just don't see him accepting a minor role in the NBA, so no reason for D league.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:19 pm

I don't know if it'll be Europe, but he'll make some coin somewhere in the world playing ball.

Lou Roe had a nice run in South America for a while.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Not sure where HE goes, but #3 should go up on the wall with the others. His impact on this team has been a program changer
Time to Win