Game 16, 2013-14: at George Mason

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
utterlyoptimistic
Junior

Post by utterlyoptimistic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 pm

kdogg8173 wrote:
utterlyoptimistic wrote:
kdogg8173 wrote:Was the d not great?
It wasn't great. It wasn't good. It wasn't average. It wasn't subpar. It was fucking horrible*.

*Zone was effective but the man to man was a joke.
Disagree. It wasn't great but the pace was super fast so the score was high. Gm shot 44%, nothing crazy. I guess it's it not great it's only terrible nowadays
I wonder what their shooting percentage was against the zone versus man to man. I'm guessing they shot over 50% against man to man for the game.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Anyone else still shaking? I'm still shaking. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Just stopping by for a quick "LOL." G'night everyone!
"Wherever I go, I’ll never be bashful about being from UMass, baby.” -Victor Cruz

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 pm

NilesGold wrote:There was really only one thing that the team did truly poorly at tonight, defensive rebounding and there's no excuse for that. .

Only one thing? How about the terrible turnovers and more importantly...the defense or lack there of. Outside of the last minute when we created some nice turnovers and the 4-5 minutes of zone, the defense was the worst it's been all year. 87 points to GMU, who was averaging 66 coming in.
Hire Matt McCall!

Ron Burgundy
Senior

Post by Ron Burgundy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 pm

I just watched the ending again........

"Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooole de Estados Unidos!!!!!!!! We love you! We love you forever and ever! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! God bless America!"

Mrbaseball220
Junior

Post by Mrbaseball220 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Wiscstlatlmia wrote:
Mrbaseball220 wrote:So a personal attack is what you come up with? Please explain? I don't see how anyone could be happy with this effort? If they allow a team to score 20 points over their season average because they play matador d, why should we be happy a terrible team choked at the end and allowed us to steal a game from them?
because we won and Chaz had one of the best games of his career?
I am not at all normally negative on here, but I just can't understand why we'd be happy we stole a game from a terrible team. We had no business winning. Yes offensively we played well, but we played 5 good minutes of defense and allowed a team to score 20 points above their season average. If we play this way against good teams, we'll lose by 20.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:50 pm

One thought, tell me if anyone agrees. On defense, moving side to side and back, Chaz seemed slow and unable to defend against drives. Not trying to give the guy a hard time because he is injured and that's understandable, but I think that may have been kind of a domino effect that really hurt our overall team defense.

On offense Chaz seemed his usual self, I'm thinking maybe because he didn't have to do much side to side or backwards movements.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:50 pm

[Glitch]
Last edited by DS Bruce Robertson on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:50 pm

xlgman wrote: Your life must really suck.

^ +1000

I'm still laughing at that win and laughing even harder over the sad sacks who are "upset" about winning a basketball game. :lol: get a grip on yourself frances, there are many other things in this world to be "upset" about besides winning an exciting game and being 15-1.... :lol: There ain't no whine in winning son... :lol:
Last edited by Jack on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wiscstlatlmia
Junior

Post by Wiscstlatlmia » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm

I watched that with my buddy, I hugged him for a solid minute after the game was over... just standing there .. I also threw out a 'don't let go' ... unreal I'm sick and happy at the same time... unreal

I love Chaz, I have no idea how we're gonna replace him, but I'm not gonna worry about that right now. truly incredible.

We're getting everyone's best shot every night guys. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the best GM plays all year

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm

That was fun. Maybe what just happened only means they'll lose every game from here on in if they don't make whatever adjustments that that guy who posted earlier said they need to make, but I'll still take an experience like this over a loss every single god damned time. All the better if it's the 15th win out of the 16 games they've been scheduled to play so far.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm

But they won. All week everyone hyped up how hard it is the win on the road, and it is. We know that every opponent will be giving us their best shot, even the teams that will not be playing in the post season. No win will be easy, lets enjoy it. And we have Chaz.

Wiscstlatlmia
Junior

Post by Wiscstlatlmia » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm

NilesGold wrote:One thought, tell me if anyone agrees. On defense, moving side to side and back, Chaz seemed slow and unable to defend against drives. Not trying to give the guy a hard time because he is injured and that's understandable, but I think that may have been kind of a domino effect that really hurt our overall team defense.

On offense Chaz seemed his usual self, I'm thinking maybe because he didn't have to do much side to side or backwards movements.
yea , totally agree.. he definitely was favoring on D... if hes really hurt we might want to think about sitting him, can't chance losing him

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Refuse2Lose83 wrote:
NilesGold wrote:There was really only one thing that the team did truly poorly at tonight, defensive rebounding and there's no excuse for that. .

Only one thing? How about the terrible turnovers and more importantly...the defense or lack there of. Outside of the last minute when we created some nice turnovers and the 4-5 minutes of zone, the defense was the worst it's been all year. 87 points to GMU, who was averaging 66 coming in.
Definitely a few bad turnovers and some truly stupid plays, but overall 14 turnovers for this team is not bad, especially in a game with so many possessions. The defense wasn't good, but overall I think GMU made some difficult shots and the refs bailed them out a lot.

natwam2547
Senior

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:54 pm

The rebounding is definitely an issue. It's like no one has taught them how to box out properly. Too much standing and waiting for the ball to come to you, or jumping for the ball when you're completely out of position. TB added nothing tonight, and they really needed him considering the front court foul trouble. I'm not a TB basher, but if he's going to keep getting minutes, he needs to perfect what he's in there for. Some good defense and some rebounds. If he doesn't provide that he's almost useless.