Prayers for Lari Ketner

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Mark W
Junior

Re: Prayers for Lari Ketner

Post by Mark W » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:12 am

Rest in peace Lari...thoughts and prayers to the entire Ketner family
UMass...the best is yet to come

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:31 am

Very sad ... I hope the athletic department does something to honor him.

tom mclaughlin
Junior

RPrayers for Lari Ketner

Post by tom mclaughlin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:51 am

Sad sad news! UMass lost a true warrior and he fought a brave fight to the end. His family was tremendous in the way they handled a difficult situation and they stood by Larry til the very end.
In this sad time I want them to know what Larry did for UMass basketball will always be appreciated!
He could have gone anywhere to play college basketball, but he choose UMass, and he played like a warrior each time he took the court. He represented UMass with dignity and pride. What he accomplished really mattered and he goes down as one of the great ones to wear a UMass uniform.
The UMass basketball family and the UMass community lost someone special! We were very fortunate to have a Philly player leave his hometown and play for UMass and what he did after his NBA playing days in helping young kids was inspirational. May he rest in peace and I hope his family and children know how much he meant to UMass Basketball. We were lucky to have him represent UMass. He was a winner and a star!!!

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:27 am

RIP Lari Ketner. My sympathies to his family. I hope DK considers an arm-band and some colon-cancer awareness program for this season. Nobody should die as young as Lari.

Marshmont_63
Senior

Post by Marshmont_63 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:32 am

I hope they have a tribute for him at the hockey game against BU tonight. It would just be nice for the hockey team to honor him and show their support for his family in this difficult time. I never saw Lari Ketner play so I don't know how good he really was (I assume great), but I'm sure his greatness as a basketball player cannot match his greatness as a person. Thoughts are with his family.
“When people come to our building we want them to feel the house of P.A.I.N.” -- Chaz Williams

Ajmal
Junior

Post by Ajmal » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:39 am

Very saddening. Battled in the paint and really battled this thing. That poor family. His sons had a real good dad.

MassModestMouse
Senior

Post by MassModestMouse » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:52 am

Rest in Peace, Lari. He fought the good fight.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:54 am

He was occasionally great....he did make it to the NBA, and it's not like we have a super long list of alums in the NBA. Lari was a very talented big man, and a lot was expected of him. He came here at a time when overall expectations were through the roof, and anything less than a sweet sixteen was a big disappointment, fairly or not. He was absolutely unstoppable when the little baby hook was going.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Remember, Lari immediately followed Camby, who had Lou Roe before him. The expectations were immense. Lari's UMass career, standing on its own, was excellent; unfortunately, too many people choose to compare him to arguably the second and third best players ever to wear a UMass uniform.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:12 pm

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:52 pm

A sad day for the extended UMass family. My condolences to Lari's family.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:51 pm

This bums me out tremendously. I loved Lari's game and as MullinsManiac said, he came in with HUGE shoes to fill following Lou and then Marcus. He did his thing and had a great career in the maroon and white. RIP Lari.

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Folks, if you haven't already - and if you can - please contribute to the fund here:
http://www.gofundme.com/WeLoveLari
I'm sure the Ketner family would appreciate any contribution, no matter how big or small.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Really bummed about this. Was praying for a miracle. I feel tremendously bad for his wife and 2 sons. Just from following the updates on the gofundme page, Lari's wife, Aquarius, had an outstanding attitude and spirit through it all. She'll definitely carrying on Lari's memory and spirit. Like others have said, hopefully they will be something done by the hoop team. A moment of silent before the first home game, a Lari Ketner night,a band on the jerseys, etc. I hope there was a moment of silent at the hockey game tonight. If any of Lari's family members or friends read this site, I hope they know they'll always be a part of the UMass family, and they are all in our thoughts and prayers. RIP #4
Hire Matt McCall!

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:29 am

It's a sad time for UMas fans who enjoyed watching Lari Ketner play and those who may have gotten to know him personally. He was a good basketball player and by all accounts a better person. He was too young to be taken from those who loved and cared for him. I feel bad for his family and hope things turn out well for them in the future.