Luke Bonner: #letmattshoot

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Luke Bonner: #letmattshoot

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:03 am

You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:43 pm

I love this. Been on board since the beginning and signed the petition. Clever stuff from Luke. Hope it works out.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:34 am

For the newbies asking "who's Luke Bonner?"
http://umasshoops.com/people/bonner_luke/

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Re: Luke Bonner: #letmattshoot

Post by mdogt12 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:20 pm

1h1 hour ago
Daniel Malone ‏@Daniel_Malone
What I Paid To Be A Division I Athlete (by @LukeyBonner) | VICE Sports http://bit.ly/1NB5mXm

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Found the whole article in general to be kind of... blah. Nice shout out to Isenberg's sport management program. I got a chuckle out of his gripe about having his car towed for parking in the Boyden lot without a permit. You couldn't leave your car in a lot on campus for longer than 10 minutes without getting a ticket or towed. Those damn meter maids must be raking in MILLIONS for the University.

Anyway, nothing is going to really change until a legit program takes a stand. Hell, they're already going to give the players (albeit, comparatively small to the NCAA revenues) stipends so it's already changing a little.

Almost comes across to me like sour grapes on Luke's part. He was straddling the fence like yeah I got this awesome free education in a top Sports Management program but my parents had to pay my copay for an MRI because DK picked a doctor out of my network. If Luke went to DK and asked to go to a different MRI place that was in his insurance network and DK said no, then DK is a DicK. Sounds like he didn't realize til after the fact. Whoops.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:05 pm

What does it cost a year total to go to Umass as an out of state kid?
The E sho, best show in town

cam9219
Senior

Post by cam9219 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:22 pm

Floyd wrote:What does it cost a year total to go to Umass as an out of state kid?
http://www.umass.edu/umfa/undergraduates/costs

$42K a year if you are living on campus.
Mullins Militia President (2011-2014)

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Pretty sure kids from New England get a lower rate as there was a mutual discount among the state universities in the region - at least there was at one time.
Refuse To Lose!!!

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:45 am

Back in the day, I got the Massachusetts in-state rate because UConn did not offer my major. I don't recall there being a blanket discount, but there may have been.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:07 am

http://www.nebhe.org/programs-overview/ ... /overview/

All the more reason for people from CT and other inferior University states to come to UMass!!! :wink:
Refuse To Lose!!!

gr8won
Junior

Post by gr8won » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:37 am

Is it me or should the title have been
Why I wasn't handed everything, tales of a seven foot bitch

Boo hoo I had to go to practice and do school work
Wahh my car was towed

CarriageEstates22
Sophomore

Post by CarriageEstates22 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:49 am

gr8won wrote:Is it me or should the title have been
Why I wasn't handed everything, tales of a seven foot bitch

Boo hoo I had to go to practice and do school work
Wahh my car was towed

You're gonna fit right in with this board with takes like that gr8won! STAY BLESSED!

BishopMVP
Junior

Post by BishopMVP » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:14 pm

MJatUM wrote:Found the whole article in general to be kind of... blah. Nice shout out to Isenberg's sport management program. I got a chuckle out of his gripe about having his car towed for parking in the Boyden lot without a permit. You couldn't leave your car in a lot on campus for longer than 10 minutes without getting a ticket or towed. Those damn meter maids must be raking in MILLIONS for the University.

Anyway, nothing is going to really change until a legit program takes a stand. Hell, they're already going to give the players (albeit, comparatively small to the NCAA revenues) stipends so it's already changing a little.

Almost comes across to me like sour grapes on Luke's part. He was straddling the fence like yeah I got this awesome free education in a top Sports Management program but my parents had to pay my copay for an MRI because DK picked a doctor out of my network. If Luke went to DK and asked to go to a different MRI place that was in his insurance network and DK said no, then DK is a DicK. Sounds like he didn't realize til after the fact. Whoops.
That's largely how I feel too. I think his larger point is that student-athletes have more power than they realize, and should be willing to take a stand against the excesses of the NCAA/coaches, which I agree wholeheartedly with, but I thought he did a poor job getting there. The parking thing is certainly annoying, and something that a good program should not have to deal with, but parking services are an annoyance all UMass community members could tell a story or two about. The MRI being paid for out of pocket by the family instead of the school does rub me the wrong way, but I know health care is enough of a weird field that I don't want to jump to the conclusion that DK, or UMass, or NCAA regulations were at fault (especially because his first couple gripes are that the family *should* have appealed some things, but didn't because they were scared to be a squeaky wheel.)

Overall, I will never feel sorry for a full-scholarship athlete, even with all the niggling annoyances and hoops they have to go through on the fringes. I'm colored by my experience with lacrosse kids, but it's something we stress with kids - playing a college sport, especially a D1 sport, is a job. You will not have a "normal" college experience if you go that route. There are amazing benefits to it, but there are drawbacks (drug testing, early morning workouts, having to rearrange some classes/tests due to travel, etc), and before choosing where you want to play you need to decide IF you want to play. I'm sure especially as a 7-footer with an older brother who's now made $30 million in the NBA there were a ton of people pushing him towards basketball, and it's not an easy thing for a 20 year old to stand up against "adults" who allegedly wield this power over you (let alone the 14/15 year olds now being recruited), but it's still a choice and one you control. Luke Bonner basically got paid $35k/year for 5 years to "work" a 40-hour week 8-9 months of the year. And he got an undergrad degree, and an Isenberg SoM degree that he is rightfully proud of, and enough notoriety that a prominent publication posted an article by him years after he graduated. And it's not taking anything away from him, because I was on campus at that time and I know he worked hard both in the gym and in the classroom, but I also know tons of people who worked shitty dead-end jobs to get through school or are still paying off student loans almost a decade later that would've loved that deal.

At the end of the day, there are good coaches and bad coaches, and the NCAA is full of obtuse school administrators that think they can cover all situations in a rule book instead of using common sense but I don't think they're actually evil. Ideally you'll end up with a mutually beneficial arrangement, but the onus is on you as a person/player to use the system to your advantage and not let it use you. And if his article (or the organization I think he's with?) can push towards players understanding and asserting their rights when the NCAA is being asinine or their coach is crossing a line (a la Tim Beckham at U Illinois) I'm all in favor of it. But complaining about 6am practices? My high school hockey team practices at 4am, and when any kid complains about that I tell them they have the option not to play or the option to fundraise so they can buy more expensive ice time in the afternoons - and none of those kids have a single cent they'll "lose" by not playing, or think they're getting a college offer, let alone a potential future payday.

Calmass9
Junior

Post by Calmass9 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:32 am

That was phenomenally put, Bishop.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:46 am

The lighter side of Lukey:
Luke Bonner ‏@LukeyBonner 24m24 minutes ago
"This girl from my past had ridiculous ass, She attended UMASS and she passed every class" #RIPPhifeDawg