KAEO Chris Baldwin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Chris Baldwin

Post by 69MG » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:47 pm

petefza wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:33 pm
God forbid you criticize any of the players here...as far as I'm concerned, if you decide to transfer than you open yourself up to criticism. You made a commitment to the school and the program and then you bail on that commitment when you decide to transfer. And if Coach McCall did ask him to leave than that probably meant that he wasn't putting in the work that was required of him. I say good riddance! Use the scholarship on someone that wants to be here.
Most players commit to the coach, not the team. When DK was fired, I give Chris credit for giving MM a chance as opposed to those who immediately bailed. Over time it became clear that MM was not the right coach for Chris (and the reasons don't really matter at this point) so let's call it a mutual parting. It would not shock me to see Chris end up at LIU but he may get better offers if those programs just go by his potential and not his history.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Most of these these guys commit to play for a coach. Some players do commit to play for a big name school (e.g., UCLA, Michigan, Duke, etc.) or conference (ACC, SEC, etc.). UMass (at least now) does not have a solid reputation as a basketball powerhouse plus it plays in the A10. After Calipari had built up our program, players came to play for him at UMass. It helped that Cal could sell salt water to a surf clam.

Chris Baldwin came here to play for Derek Kellogg, and Mr. Kellogg was later dismissed. Most of Kellogg's recruits with eligibility left have since transferred. In fact two (Coleman and Flowers) followed Derek to LIU. They want to play for Kellogg? :? Why else leave UMass Amherst for LIU? I can't believe that LIU has better basketball facilities or that an LIU degree is worth more than one from UMass. Why they want to play for Derek is beyond me. But, I'm not 19 with an athletic 6' 8" body! :)
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Speaking of DK recruits, did anyone notice that Mr. Gassnola pleaded guilty to being a bag man in the AAU NCAA pay for play fiasco? Wonder if any of the recent departures had any contact with him. I hope not.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:01 am

From the Globe, "Thomas “T.J.” Gassnola, the director of amateur MA basketball team the New England Playaz, which is affiliated with Adidas, agreed to plead guilty and cooperate with prosecutors investigating an NCAA bribery scandal...... Gassnola made payments to families of high school student-athletes in exchange for their commitment to play for certain universities"

UMass doesn't get "one and done" recruits. There are no 5 stars here, though Baldwin was rated a 4* by ESPN. I doubt DK was bribing players/parents to come to UMass, but there is the photo of DK, Calipari and T. J. Gassnola. I'm sure Dan Shaughnessy is on it.

Apparently Gassnola is cooperating with North Carolina officials looking into possible violations at N. C. State. However, N.C. State has signed a six-year sponsorship deal with Adidas in 2015 for $39 million. Too much money in big time college sports. The NCAA, which is also feeding at the trough of college sports, has a huge problem. Should be interesting how this all plays out.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 am

TJ was always around but that's because they grew up together. Did TJ really send anyone towards umass? How many guys did we get that were high profile from his teams? I really can't remember any. I'm not surprised he got pinched though.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:43 am

TheInsider wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 am TJ was always around but that's because they grew up together. Did TJ really send anyone towards umass? How many guys did we get that were high profile from his teams? I really can't remember any. I'm not surprised he got pinched though.

I understand that completely. I wouldn’t be surprised to find a TJ Gassnola type on the other end of some of highly regarded recruiting class from two years ago. I get that this seems more about 5* and one and done players, but you can’t assume that is where it ends.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 am

skizz wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:34 pm
Refuse2Lose83 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 pm No surprise here, it's what Baldwin does....takes the path of least resistance. Transferred twice in HS/prep, now transferring from UMass. Didn't see eye to eye with the coaches at any stop expect ND Prep. Thought Coach McCall finally got through to him after Dayton but I guess not.
Baldwin only transferred once in HS. He went to Hillside Prep which only goes to 8th grade and then he went to Central. He then transferred to ND Prep.
Hey Skizz, take yer facts and get outta here. :wink:

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:00 pm

TheInsider wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 am TJ was always around but that's because they grew up together. Did TJ really send anyone towards umass? How many guys did we get that were high profile from his teams? I really can't remember any. I'm not surprised he got pinched though.
He didn’t send anyone anywhere...he is pleading guilty of being basically a bagman. Adidas used him, in return they funded his team and him as a way to pay him...money laundering for people. He hasn’t had a real job since he sold cars at Northampton Volkswagen on King st and that was a while ago. What strikes me in all of this is how sloppy Adidas is with who they choose to associate themselves with.

I saw the news when it first came out this week but I haven’t followed it past that...I am assuming that he is pleading guilty to get leniency, is he giving up guys too or haven’t they said anything more yet?

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:10 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:00 pm
He didn’t send anyone anywhere...he is pleading guilty of being basically a bagman. Adidas used him, in return they funded his team and him as a way to pay him...money laundering for people. He hasn’t had a real job since he sold cars at Northampton Volkswagen on King st and that was a while ago. What strikes me in all of this is how sloppy Adidas is with who they choose to associate themselves with.
They associated themselves with people willing to break the rules.............what other standards should they have used??

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:07 pm

^People willing to break the rules and not rat when caught?

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:12 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:10 pm
TheOFFSeason wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:00 pm
They associated themselves with people willing to break the rules.............what other standards should they have used??
I think you missed the point, there are plenty of people who are looking to break the rules for a financial gain that have a very different profile/background than him. I get that there have been others just like him

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Refuse2Lose83 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 pm No surprise here, it's what Baldwin does....takes the path of least resistance. Transferred twice in HS/prep, now transferring from UMass. Didn't see eye to eye with the coaches at any stop expect ND Prep. Thought Coach McCall finally got through to him after Dayton but I guess not.
Baldwin only transferred once in HS. He went to Hillside Prep which only goes to 8th grade and then he went to Central. He then transferred to ND Prep.

Where did he play his freshman year then? Played Soph/Junior year at Central before going to ND
Hire Matt McCall!

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Thu May 10, 2018 11:49 am

I think i have the same problem of eating too little some days and eating too much other days
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

skizz
Sophomore

Post by skizz » Fri May 11, 2018 10:50 am

Refuse2Lose83 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Where did he play his freshman year then? Played Soph/Junior year at Central before going to ND
I meant to say Hillside prep goes to 9th grade.
FITCTAJ

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri May 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Any predictions on where Baldwin might go?