KAEO Chris Baldwin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MassDynasty321
Senior

KAEO Chris Baldwin

Post by MassDynasty321 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 pm

6"8" sophomore in his first year at Central, after transferring in from Hillside in Connecticut.
Baldwin already holds a Division I offer from UMass, which he picked up in the summer, as well as interest from Boston College and Boston University.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-sch ... end-throne

He has Rivals & ESPN profiles, but neither have any ratings or info.

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fek_OecfgEg

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I've heard that UMass has offered.

Friends of mine who teach at Central have told me that puke-one has been to the gym as have others.

Kid's having a monster season. Central is poised to make a run at repeating as State Champs.

I would love to see a local kid on the roster again....especially one as good as Chris seems to be.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:21 am

Since I brought him up in the recruiting thread, I'll bump this. He's listed as 3* on both ESPN and Rivals. His height and weight are all over the place (6'5 - 6'8 and 185 - 230). I think 6'7, 220 is about right. He's a beast on the boards, although I don't think there is a lot of height in Western Mass for him to compete against. Here are his high school numbers. I would like to know how he did in AAU ball.
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/chris-b ... year=12-13

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:04 pm

^ If memory serves me, he played very limited minutes for Expression Elite on the NikeEybl. He was playing behind Abu, a top 50 player in the class of 2014. If anything, our best chance of him coming to UMass is if he DOESN'T do particularly well in AAU, because if he does the high majors will be all over him.

He's probably a little on the small side to play center, but he's got enough size where he could play some minutes there for us as a backup or in a pinch. He doesn't seem like the typical F that DK pursues, for whatever that's worth.

Rory
Junior

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:21 pm

University of Massachusetts -- Class of '08
http://umass.edu/give

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Central HS in Springfield just hired Jack O'Brien, former Charlestown HS coach, as Boys hoops coach so Chris should benefit from the improved coaching.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:31 pm

That's an interesting hire. Wonder what prompted him to move west. Whatever the case, that dude developed an unreal dynasty at Charlestown (if I'm thinking about the same guy who won all those state titles), so that can only be good for western mass.

Side note: who is running things at Central High? Seems that school has made some terrific hires in recent years and is bucking the good-old boys club in Springfield. UMass alum T Brower has turned them into one of the best football teams in the state and someone mentioned that they now have by far the best academics in the city. A function of Cathedral losing enrollment/prestige I wonder?

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:42 pm

Marty
It is the same coach from Charlestown HS. He also coached Eric Brunson at Salem HS.

Tad Tokarz is the Principal I believe and Mike Martin is the AD.

Central has actually been criticized on the hoops side for so few players actually going on to college the last 5 years or so. O'Brien is known for having a high matriculation rate.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Chris Baldwin no longer with his Central HS team word through the grape vine is that it was his decision.
Hire Matt McCall!

MassDynasty321
Senior

Post by MassDynasty321 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Refuse2Lose83 wrote:Chris Baldwin no longer with his Central HS team word through the grape vine is that it was his decision.
Wasn't even cracking the starting 5 on a bad Central team this year. Heard it was for behavioral reasons, but call me skeptical of him if he can't even start on sub-500 team in Western Mass

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:08 pm

If you want to see an example of why we shouldn't pay much attention to the ratings, Rivals just updated theirs and Baldwin is #135 in 2015.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... /rank-3252

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Hire Matt McCall!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:24 pm

You gotta try hard to get the same alley oop shot in a highlight reel 4 times. You gotta try real hard.

Also, someone should ban layup line video from being used in these things.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:23 am

MassDynasty321 wrote:
Refuse2Lose83 wrote:Chris Baldwin no longer with his Central HS team word through the grape vine is that it was his decision.
Wasn't even cracking the starting 5 on a bad Central team this year. Heard it was for behavioral reasons, but call me skeptical of him if he can't even start on sub-500 team in Western Mass
I heard likewise. That said, Central had coaching issues that could have complicated matters.
Thomas King wrote:After one season on the job, Jack O’Brien has stepped down as coach of the Central High School basketball team.

O’Brien, who led Charlestown to five state championships in 13 seasons, replaced Mike Labrie, who retired after seven seasons with Central. The former Charlestown coach still lives in Medford and teaches physical education at West Roxbury, and grew weary of the 180-mile commute to Central.

“I kind of realized it towards the end of the season,” O’Brien said. “At first it wasn’t so bad but the drive really wore on me as the season went along. After a night practice, if I stayed to talk with the kids, or drive some of them home, I wouldn’t get back to my house until after midnight.”

In O’Brien’s lone season at the helm, Central finished 10-11, missing the playoffs for the first time in at least seven seasons. Two starters, Chris Baldwin and Cody Williams, quit the team with two games remaining in the season after disagreements with O’Brien.

“We were very pleased with the coaching job Jack did this season, with what we had,” said Mike Martin, athletic director of the Springfield public schools. “We sat down after the season and he just felt he couldn’t do the job he wanted to being so far away in Boston.

“The commute was hard on Jack. He thought he could do it, and he wanted to give it a shot, but ultimately, he found it was hard to build the bonds he wanted with the players and in the community when he was in Boston and they were in Springfield.”
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Former UMass Minuteman, Darryl Denson, named new boys basketball coach at Springfield Central HS

http://highschoolsports.masslive.com/ne ... rt_m-rpt-1
Hire Matt McCall!