KAEO Tavon Sledge

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
TheChamp
Junior

KAEO Tavon Sledge

Post by TheChamp » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:28 pm

5'9 Freshman Point Guard Tavon Sledge from NCAA Tourney team Iowa State transferring.. reportedly considering UMass. Looking to move back to East Coast. Would have 3 years eligibility left.

Didn't get much PT at Iowa State for coach Fred Hoiberg but he is talented, from NYC, and similar to Chaz Williams. I saw him play live in H.S. on the same team as fomer Tennessee one and done PF and now NBA player Tobias Harris, and his brother Tyler Harris who is at NC State and he was the best player on the court. Dimunitive but explosive and similar to Chaz Williams.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/03/22/iowa ... -transfer/

Zags blog article..

HS Highlights, with him no. 23 and teammate Tobias Harris no. 12. Some nice drives, dishes, and dunks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C76Z0omJ ... re=related

http://rivals.yahoo.com/stjohns/basketb ... edge-96792

3 star out of H.S., had offers from WVU, Cincy, St. Johns, URI, Rutgers.

http://www.masslive.com/forums/umasshoo ... rtid=17971

Anonymous, and yes, obviously unreliable source here says he is coming to UMass. Says he'd sit a year, backup Chaz his Sophomore year, and then have 2 years of eligibiliy left running the show.

Would be a great get and seems like a way better fit for how DK wants to play than Trey Davis.
Last edited by TheChamp on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blutrane93
Senior

Post by Blutrane93 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Besides a disparaging remark about the Bruiser Flint era... the last time your anonymous source, a guy with the screen name TGG, posted on Masslive, he said in July that coaching changes had happened, DK made a tough yet needed decision, and nobody was reporting on it. Presumably that was Wahlberg, and TGG was 3 months ahead of everyone else on that story. I have to wonder if Chimelis and Matty V were asked not to report on VW's firing out of respect to letting him try to find work while "on staff" rather than after being canned. But that's neither here nor there right now. Also, that July post and this one happened at 12:26 and 12:27 am. Kinda creepy. But this anonymous poster seems well connected.

Sledge looks like a Chaz clone physically and style-wise. Sure would be a seamless transition from Chaz to Sledge. And if you're a 5'9" jet quick point guard, who better to learn and pick up habits and leadership qualities from?

Let's make this happen, DK!

Here's the Iowa St. message board thread about his transfer. In this thread at least, very civil and classy group almost universally.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/men ... nsfer.html

Here's a Youtube highlight clip. First minute or two highlights his athleticism. Not sure what the producer was doing for the last quarter of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeFcb_ld ... re=related

Sledge can jump. Taking off with two feet and dunking with two hands in game with ease at 5'9" is extraordinarily rare.

ibleedmaroon413
Sophomore

Post by ibleedmaroon413 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:32 pm

love the athletic ability this kid has,good news is i just checked his facebook and hes friends with chaz,maybe they have talked....

interview....he's the second player that talks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARCCGLK5 ... re=related

news link:
http://www.timesrepublican.com/page/con ... l?nav=5010

write up on him from the iowa state team page

High School
One of the best players from the New York area...ranked as the third-best player out of New York City behind Jabarie Hinds (West Virginia) and Achraf Yacoubou (Villanova)...HoopScoop ranked him as the 79th-best player in the class of 2011...played in the Mary Kline Classic, an all-star game for the best players in the Mid-Atlantic Region...averaged 25.3 points, 5.2 assists and 3.5 steals as a senior, leading his team to an 18-6 mark and a Class AA state semifinal appearance...exploded nationally when he recorded a career-high 46 points in a double overtime win over Elmont in the state quarterfinals...it set a new Long Island AA scoring mark and earned him national player of the week accolades by ESPNRise...tallied 13 of his team's 17 points in the overtime periods...was a two-time all-state, all-Long Island and all-conference recipient...played two seasons at St. Benedict's High School before transferring to Half Hollow Hills West (Dix Hills, N.Y.) for his junior and senior seasons...in his first year at Hills West, led his team to the New York state finals (runner-up in Class AA)...former Tennessee star Tobias Harris was his teammate in 2009-10...averaged 18.3 points and 11.1 assists as a junior...was named the team's co-MVP along with Harris...named to the all-tournament team at the 2010 Big Apple Basketball Invitational...chose Iowa State over West Virginia, St. John's, Cincinnati, Seton Hall and Rutgers.
“Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.”

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:40 pm

Sounds like a very good replacement for Chaz if he is willing to sit out a year and then be a backup for another year. It seems like he wants more playing time--will he be willing to wait? If we get this kid, I assume he gets the last sholarship available for next year. That means we don't have one for a big man.

ibleedmaroon413
Sophomore

Post by ibleedmaroon413 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:40 pm

also it looks like there were alot of east coast teams including a few a10 teams that offered sledge when he was coming out of highschool,hes also looking for more playing time at iowa state this past season he averaged a mear 3 minutes a game,he would be eligable chaz's senior yr which would be his red shirt sophmore year.i think he could end up being just as good as chaz.hope dk takes a look at this guy

link with teams that offered tavon out of high school
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/08/17/tavo ... long-list/
“Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.”

Blutrane93
Senior

Post by Blutrane93 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:34 am

^ In regards to playing time, I don't think he was thrilled with the PT he got at Iowa St, but down to the end, having checked his Twitter, he was unfailingly positive. I think as much as not getting playing time his Freshmen year, the Iowa St. board was saying that he probably saw the writing on the wall as Hoiberg recruited over him with some incoming players. Our situation would provide an apprenticeship year with playing time and then 2 full years as the main guy- not sure he's ready for more than that at a BCS school right now, so hopefully he comes here!

^ In regard to the above post, his shot doesn't appear to be as good as Chaz's, he's more of a slasher than shooter. I say that just because at this point, it's going to be hard for anyone to match Chaz's leadership, shooting ability, athleticism, and heart. We are lucky, lucky, lucky to have Chaz right now!

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:40 am

So why does this kid only get in eight games? Can Iowa State have multiple point guards returning that are ahead of him?

If so, hasn't our program been elevated to the point where we shouldn't consider a guy who can't even get in the game somewhere else?

Just asking. I have never heard of the player.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:02 am

^ Good points OC, I'm sure DK's evaluation and Chaz's input will
determine if they are interested. Chaz's leadership and how he gets every
one to play at a higher level are his intangibles that separate him from
other skilled players. Like Bluetrains said we are VERY LUCKY to have
him!

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:51 am

OC, I hear you. However, he sounds like a good kid and a hard worker, and he was considered to be one of the best players in NYC out of high school. I'd consider this to be a very good pickup if it happens.

Most of the ISU fans on their message are showing a lot of class, and one of them had this sage comment: "He didn't perform as a freshman. That's the deal. Most freshmen aren't supposed to be ready to come in and take over."

So who knows...if he spent his freshman year in a different league, his ability to perform at this level might be more obvious. With a couple years of mentoring behind Chaz, I think he could have a great chance to be a nice player for us if he comes here.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:35 am

You never can tell. I think it's big if people say he's a good guy. Hey, maybe if he was at a CAA school as a frosh he would have played :D he had a long list of good schools going after him, plus seems to play our style. Why not.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 am

Maybe Micah Brand WILL be Marcus Camby. Same height and they're even from the same state!
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 am

I don't think anyone is saying this guy is Chaz. We won't see another Chaz for a long time. He seems like a good guy that may fit our style. If DK thinks he's as good or better than any of the recruits he has lined up, then why not.

PTrainXL
Senior

Post by PTrainXL » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:10 am

Quick question, assuming Trey Davis is still coming here, haven't heard otherwise, we only have 1 available scholarship for another player or transfer correct?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:39 am

^ That is correct. If Trey comes, we have 1 sholarship left. What's the possibility that Trey doesn't come if Travon commits?

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:39 am

TheInsider wrote:If DK thinks he's as good or better than any of the recruits he has lined up, then why not.
I guess there's no answer to a question phrased like that. I guess I'd just have to ask when that philosophy isn't applied to a recruit, but that'd be answering a question with a question.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.