KAEO Tavon Sledge

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Well, he'd have a year off to work exclusively on his shooting.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:00 pm

ktabz16 wrote:the knock on this kid is he isn't a good shooter.
That would be a bigger concern than anything having to do with size. But as 87 mentioned, he'll have plenty of time to work on his shooting.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:25 pm

I don't think anyone has taken particular issue with his size other than to point out that it's relatively rare that a 5'9 player is a significant contributor at the D1 level and it might be a bit more than unfair to suggest that because this guy's body type resembles that of a very effective current player whose abilities we're only beginning to appreciate that there's likely to be any correlation to their respective impact.

I'm quite confident that there is at least one blueprint for having UMass perennially contending for and advancing in the NCAA tournament that doesn't require the PG to be under 6 feet tall.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:33 pm

As I said, I'm biased in favor of waterbug point guards. Why? The simple fact is that the game of basketball rewards height. The taller you are the easier the game is. You are always shooting closer to the basket. It's simply a fact that the game is easier the taller you are. Unfortunately, increase in height usually cost in terms of speed, quickness and overall athletic ability. Why do I like waterbugs, then? Because if you are 5'9" and you make it to D1 college basketball that says a shitload about who you are. You have worked your butt off and believed in yourself when almost everyone said you couldn't do it (and they were, generally, right). The fact is that 5'9" guys playing D1 basketball DO tend to have more heart than other guys.

Mrbaseball220
Junior

Post by Mrbaseball220 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Great point, because we are all seeing how far heart can take a team!

I think given the system this guy would be a good addition. Playing with/under Chaz for two years to show him the ropes could only be a good thing.

Also in the recent history, we have a really good track record of success with undersized point guards!.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:07 pm

^That and if he can score 10/g and get the assists he is exactly what this team needs.

Chizzle
Senior

Post by Chizzle » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Former Iowa St guard Tavon Sledge has committed to Iona. Great get for the Gaels -- Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria)
#LovesIt