Big Dance - Pervis Ellison Isn't Walking Through That Door

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Pierce9999
Senior

Post by Pierce9999 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:56 pm

Nope, because of the way he carries himself.

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Jake Voskuhl was always my favorite.

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 pm

Congrats to Coach Calgoon and the UConnvicts.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:37 pm

One of the worst final fours I can remember. 2 out 3 games were brutal and the 3rd, VCU and Butler, probably wasn't that great to watch for most but I usually like the way Butler plays.

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:41 pm

miserable

Winslow05
Senior

Post by Winslow05 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Anyone else see this tweet by Gary Parrish:

Patrick Sellers was forced to resign because of UConn's scandal. But, apparently, he can still celebrate on the court with the team.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Patrick Sellers used to be on Lappas' staff here for one season. 03-04. For what it's worth...

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:27 am

UConn is at the top of college basketball once again and our program is in shambles. This is depressing :evil:

The Truth
Sophomore

Post by The Truth » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 am

philosopher wrote:
Chris20 wrote:I used to feel the same....but it turns out Auriemma in an insufferable douche as well.
I've been acquainted with Auriemma for about 20 years..., a friend's daughter played for him. Can't say I know him, but if we bumped into each other, we'd say "hi." Like all HCs of major programs, there is a sleaze factor. Insufferable? I dunno..., he can converse with you without getting limited to hoops, recruiting, and how much he doesn't like Tennessee, Stanford, and any school in Texas. :lol: :lol:

Peace,
Alex
Which player was your friend's daughter? My niece went to grammer school with and played with one of the players from several years ago.

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 am

At least I can laugh at this. Nice fan support! :

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aab-wp1856

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:45 am

The Truth wrote:Which player was your friend's daughter? My niece went to grammer school with and played with one of the players from several years ago.
My youngest brother played AAU ball with Alex Oriakhi back in middle school.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:03 pm

Bob Ryan just lost a couple points in my mind, with this complete kiss-ass article he did:
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/m ... ong_elite/

Come on, Bob, really? Your opening paragraph:
OK, Jim Calhoun. Don’t you dare lie to us.

Ironic that you mention Calhoun and lie in the same paragraph. I'm not sure if Calhoun was implicated for lying to the NCAA, but he and his staff damn sure violated their rules. Is any of this news to you? It was hard to miss just a couple months back. But it sounds like you're not aware of it.

Your article goes on with "college coaching’s Mount Rushmore", dropping names of integrity like John Wooden and Mike Krzyzewski, but no where do you even hint at the fact that Calhoun and company were put on probation this year for rules violations. Calhoun will be suspended for multiple games next season. UConn was only spared from a ban on post-season play because the NCAA is too gutless to penalize one of the biggest fish in their pond, a fish that brings in a big sack of cash every year.

Bob, that article was as weak as the NCAA's penalty. Comparing Calhoun to Wooden and Krzyzewski, who did it the right way, is laughable. Tell the whole story. Without it, you sound like you're writing for the student newspaper in Storrs. You're a better journalist/columnist than that.

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Let's not confuse John Wooden with intergity. During his tenure Sam Gilbert, a booster kepp the UCLA men's team the best paid "amateurs" in the business. Wooden's "blind eye" to the obvious was a joke.

SprtsAdam
Freshman

Post by SprtsAdam » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Uminuteman has it exactly right. Wooden was extremely crooked and if you don't believe me, believe your boy Wetzel who wrote about it on April 2, 2006, "...the Bruins eviscerated the rule book like no program before or after, but went largely unpunished by a NCAA that wanted no part of taking down its marquee team. "

"Maybe it is Wooden's class that has kept talk of tainted titles to a minimum. But none of this is a secret in basketball. In the late 1970s, after Wooden retired, the Los Angeles Times did an investigation of Gilbert and the NCAA was forced to sanction UCLA, but never vacated any championships."

And if you want to talk about Coach K, you have to bring up the Myron Piggie/Corey Maggette story, again written about by Wetzel "The Piggie scandal even reached its dirty tentacles into the once-pristine world of Mike Krzyzewski's Duke Blue Devils. If the NCAA truly believed in equal punishment for all members, it should vacate Duke's 1999 national runner-up finish from the books for playing the ineligible Corey Maggette"

Jim Calhoun's 3 championships at the University of Connecticut is the most remarkable program building job in the history of men's college basketball. He built a program from scratch and has only had about 8 or 9 McD's All-Americans in his 25 years. Compare that to the amount Coach K has gotten at Duke (30 to 40 in his years there?) or the amount Calipari has had in just the last 2 years at Kentucky.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:26 pm

You're right about Wooden. And Calhoun. Now please go back into your hole.