2011-2012 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri May 27, 2011 10:45 am

I am impressed by the level of detail in the preview. The author knows more than most writers about how the team played last year. Is it all from just looking at stats. A couple of interesting details: at least one guy thinks Kellogg is on the hot seat. Also, the play analysis shows that at least on one occasion the team ran a pick-oriented offense rather than the DDM.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri May 27, 2011 11:00 am

^

The play analysis part of the preview was the best part. I was impressed by that level of detail. There were a lot of things that the reviewer discussed that we've talked about here, most importantly of which, IMO, is mixing up/changing the offense, and more specifically, to be more run and gun which will probably open some players up (Freddie).
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri May 27, 2011 12:39 pm

Freddie would thrive in a running game. He has good size and has shown he is athletic enough to get to the rim in transition. He had a few games last year where he put up serious points in short minutes.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri May 27, 2011 2:08 pm

That piece raises way more questions than it does provide answers, and it didn't even mention Morgan?

The underlying theme (to me) is that this team needs to be allowed to open it up a little more. I have said this many times throughout the year... this team is not made up of players who can set up and work it around for 20-25 seconds. They need to force the action and start running the floor.

If they can't shoot from outside, the defense will just pack it in on them - then they are phucked if they keep slowing it down.

Farrell, Riley, Vinson, Putney and Mrogan can all play at high speed (and I assume that Chazz and Laguerre will not be opposed to an up-tempo game either).
Last edited by eldonabe on Fri May 27, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Fri May 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Sounds like pretty much everyone is in agreement that this team's best hope on offense is to play an uptempo game.

I just don't see them thriving in the halfcourt game either.

That article confirmed my belief that we're getting to be a good defensive team. There seems to be no reason why we won't be even better in that area next year.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Sat May 28, 2011 12:14 am

Floyd wrote:Freddie would thrive in a running game. He has good size and has shown he is athletic enough to get to the rim in transition. He had a few games last year where he put up serious points in short minutes.
In a span of about 5 minutes he almost pulled us back in that disasterous effort at St. Joe's. And, just about every shot came in transition. It was impressive. Like several guys on this team, I really like his game. Ah, to think of what this team could be...

69MG
Hall of Fame

2011-2012

Post by 69MG » Sat May 28, 2011 9:01 am

While this article is much more in depth than what we usually see, I think he missed a few key points. I don't think he projects Putney to be as significant as most of us do and he doesn't mention Morgan at all. I think Jesse has the potential to score in double figures this year. He also doesn't mention Lalanne, who I'm hoping will be a contributor ths year.
The other point he doesn't really cover is that if Chaz is as good as we think, he will create easier scoring opportunites for the other players. Last , but not least, I agree with everyone else that we need to run a more up tempo offense.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Re: 2011-2012

Post by Chemical Ali » Sat May 28, 2011 9:26 am

69MG wrote:I don't think he projects Putney to be as significant as most of us do
I completely agree. It was the only piece of the article that made me think perhaps the writer hadn't seen as much of the Minutemen as it otherwise seems. Putney might be the most versatile and talented guy on the roster. I'm as hopeful of him as I was for Vincent after his freshmen season. I'd also like to think Williams could make a big difference, and he should on paper. But we should have been better on paper the last three seasons, too, and I'm fearful that we'll be looking at another "flirting with .500" season. If so, I suspect only the excuses will change.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:41 am

is it just me or do people think this team could have a big year and really surprise people.. soph to junior jump is a huge transition in someones life.. alot of maturity takes place.. I am drunk and optimistic.. I think this team is going to do very well

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Sun May 29, 2011 2:09 am

mlaconte459 wrote:I am drunk
Stay drunk and you'll be OK no matter the results.

Blutrane93
Senior

Post by Blutrane93 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:50 am

^^ As a lot of people have noted above, there's plenty of talent to have a very successful season. That talent should progress through next year and the year after.

The only question in my mind is:

Will this team play with heart consistently?

That's all.

And unfortunately, any speculation on that matter is baseless until they begin to bare their soul when the games count.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun May 29, 2011 7:31 am

To me, the big question is, Will Kellogg design an offense that allows them to use their talents?

Minutemanfan
Junior

Post by Minutemanfan » Sun May 29, 2011 9:58 am

Previews are good fodder for conversation, but little else. I mean, who predicted Cleveland's good start to the baseball season.
“We’re going to play hard for 40 minutes, get up in you, and play UMass basketball.” -- Jesse Morgan

Icanoutreboundwalter
Freshman

Post by Icanoutreboundwalter » Sun May 29, 2011 10:00 am

The problem with playing in transition is that it generally requires a turnover to work the best. Since we're supposedly very low in turnover % defensively, we aren't going to get the offense running.

The best thing we could do is to probably make the defense more of a ballhawking style, and hope that can lead to offense.

When I've coached (at a very low level), I've always noticed that the best way to fix my offense is to get players energy level up on defense. Amazing how shots go in during transition, and even lacking that, when people are active from D.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun May 29, 2011 1:09 pm

I think the talent is definitely there for a running team. I really think Travis Ford would contend for the league title with these players. He only had one point guard a committee of incomplete centers, too. I hope Kellogg can do the same.