Ricky Harris: Post-UMass

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
xlgman
Hall of Fame

Re: Ricky Harris: Post-UMass

Post by xlgman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:38 pm

He capped his Mullins Center career by hitting a game-winning three with 3.5 seconds left to send UMass to the A-10 Tournament as part of scoring game-high 28 points against Rhode Island on Senior Day.
Funny story now but NOT funny at the time: Unfortunately, I learned my lesson the hard way that you need to double check the game start time and not use the schedule you hung on the fridge at the beginning of the season. I drove to Amherst that day and turned on the radio to listen to what I thought would be the pre-game radio show only to hear Ricky hit the shot to end the game. My 8 year old son's consolation prize was watching Alice in Wonderland at the mall. Not sure if he has forgiven me yet. :oops: :lol:

Love having Ricky back. One of my favorite UMass players ever.
This is the most enjoyable losing season ever!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:25 am

^ Hey-you had to sit through that move. I'd say you're even, Steven. :wink: 8) :lol:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:50 am

^that game winner also knocked URI out of the NCAA tournament. I was at that game and I enjoyed waving goodbye to the URI fans, no mercy.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue May 30, 2023 4:19 pm

Onto a new role at Maryland:

https://twitter.com/JasonYellin/status/ ... 90339?s=20
Incredibly excited to welcome one of my favorite players to
@TerrapinHoops
!

Former
@UMassBasketball
star, Baltimore native, Calvert Hall alum
@RickyHarris5
has joined the Terps staff!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue May 30, 2023 4:35 pm

^
He will be Director of Player Personnel, essentially the same job he had here. Can't blame him for going home, going to a P5 conference and I'm pretty sure he got a decent bump in pay. Sorry to see you go, Ricky, and wish you well. You have always been a credit to UMass.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue May 30, 2023 4:49 pm

Better conference, close to home, likely better pay!

Best wishes for success, Ricky!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue May 30, 2023 6:56 pm

Noooooooooo!
One of my all time favorites at UMass. Best of luck Ricky, but I hate to see you go
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue May 30, 2023 7:42 pm

69MG wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:35 pm ^
He will be Director of Player Personnel, essentially the same job he had here. Can't blame him for going home, going to a P5 conference and I'm pretty sure he got a decent bump in pay. Sorry to see you go, Ricky, and wish you well. You have always been a credit to UMass.
It is not the same job. Doug Edwards has that job at UMass. Yes, they are both clerical jobs in essence. The player personnel job is much more connected helping players navigate the college experience etc. at UMass edwards has a salary about 50k.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue May 30, 2023 7:51 pm

He was passed over on the job and found a way better opportunity at a Big Ten school. Good for Ricky. Unfortunate for UMass.. that’s something we say a lot around here.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:17 am

This one bums me out a little bit. Losing Kellogg wasn't a shock at all to me considering his history as a previous head coach here, how late he was brought on last year (almost seemed like a favor or gesture of good will), but we've now lost two tried and true UMass guys. Two guys that can really hype the place up and sell kids on what UMass can be.

I don't know if Ricky is on an upward trajectory in the coaching world, or if he's just a super enthusiastic guy with a ton of energy that people like to have around, but I wish him well and will definitely miss his passion for UMass.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:40 pm

Don't be too bummed out. He's a UMie that just got a great job and he could be back as an assistant coach some day.
Refuse To Lose!!!