Another Calipari issue

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
econalum
Hall of Fame

Another Calipari issue

Post by econalum » Fri May 28, 2010 9:01 pm

N.C.A.A. Is Looking Into Former Kentucky Player Eric Bledsoe
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/29/sport ... it.html?hp

This gets very repetitive to me...
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm

The NCAA can try to keep its own business clean, but it has absolutely no hope of keeping corruption out of the high schools. These high school NBA prospects have a dollar value that is completely out of proportion with their surroundings. If you leave these walking duffel bags stuffed with millions of dollars wandering around school hallways, somebody is going to make a grab for their handles.

For what it's worth, all of that went down while Gillespie was recruiting him, before Cal arrived at UK. Doesn't mean Cal couldn't also have been recruiting him at Memphis and have reason to know or be concerned, but Bledsoe's switching high schools wasn't a red flag. His previous high school closed completely, so he was going to have to switch schools regardless.

The best thing the NCAA can probably do for itself is put some of that tournament revenue towards hiring the manpower necessary to investigate the highest profile recruits BEFORE they play an entire year. This business of clearing a kid to play and then taking it back retroactively doesn't make anyone look good.

Winslow05
Senior

Post by Winslow05 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:58 pm

I just don't understand the point of the clearinghouse if they are clearing all these guys to play then retroactively taking away their eligibility. Their job is to be sure the guys are CLEARED if there are any questions they should not clear the player. Seems like they are not doing their job to me.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:57 am

Cal's situation with Rose and Memphis is a little sketchy IMO but this is way more on UK than it is Cal. From all indications, Bledsoe was headed to UK before Cal even took the job.

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Sat May 29, 2010 9:11 am

Maybe this will make Cal think harder about moving to the NBA if there is any truth to the rumors. Can you imagine if all of last year's wins are vacated again, even if Cal had nothing to do with it. At least in the NBA he doesn't need to worry about ncaa sanctions.

isithow?
Junior

Post by isithow? » Sat May 29, 2010 9:48 pm

kdogg8173 wrote:Cal's situation with Rose and Memphis is a little sketchy IMO but this is way more on UK than it is Cal. From all indications, Bledsoe was headed to UK before Cal even took the job.
That isn't even remotely true and is laughable.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:19 am

I wasn't trying to be funny but you're obviously trying to be a douche.

So you're telling me that Billy G and UK weren't in on Bledsoe? Look up the name Glynn Cyprien.

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Sun May 30, 2010 9:11 am

UK was recruiting him but he was on his way to Florida until Cal showed up. Doesn't really matter. If individual universities are expected to hire a team of ninjas to break into the high schools of all their potential recruits to check papers, and stalk their teachers to assure that grades are assigned fairly, we're screwed. UMass can't afford ninjas. And that's just for basketball, imagine how many ninjas you'd have to hire for football. Grade-changing and inflation with respect to high school athletes is everywhere, even for the mediocre ones who are borderline Division I talents, nevermind locks to play in the NBA. This sort of thing can only be monitored at the NCAA level, not the university level. And even then the vast majority are going to slip through.

UofMTigers
Sophomore

Post by UofMTigers » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:16 pm

Cal's a cheat...he did it at UMass...he did it at Memphis...now he's doing it at Kentucky...it's nothing new.
vist us at memphistigers.org

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:46 pm

Taking a break from the Celtics sucking, I've put together a little timeline of your time here. Let's take a look at the distinct path your feelings toward Cal have taken...

On March 30, 2007
UofMTigers wrote: i love the guy...he is a PR god and a very, VERY good coach.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

On May 11, 2007
UofMTigers wrote:whatever it takes...whatever the cost...John Calipari cannot leave Memphis...he means that much to the fans/University.

we pay him around 2 mill...and if you ask me, we're getting a deal.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

On April 8, 2008
UofMTigers wrote:i've NEVER in my 23 years seen this city SO caught up in something...every car has a Memphis flag on it...ALL the buildings downtown are lit up with blue spot lights...Graceland is a sea of blue...Monday has been made a city holiday by the Mayors office...this is just freaking nuts!

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

On March 29, 2010
UofMTigers wrote: of course not...the way Cal raped our program...it's a miracle Josh got our boys to 24 wins, and advanced in post-season play.

Drew
Today
UofMTigers wrote:Cal's a cheat...he did it at UMass...he did it at Memphis...now he's doing it at Kentucky...it's nothing new.

Be honest with yourself, this is all about sour grapes. You loved the shit out of Cal when he had your program as the toast of the city. Now you hate him because he left you and sent you back to being just another C-USA also-ran. You dont hate him because you think he's a cheater, you're just pissed he's not still your cheater.

Nothing has changed about Cal between now and when you professed your love for him on here. He was the same weasel then that he is now, but the reason UMass fans love and support Cal is because he's not a weasel as a person, just as a coach. He cares about the schools he coaches, he cares about people, he cares about the fans, he just pushes the limits wherever he can because it's all about winning, not because he's some kind of disingenuous prick like so many coaches are.

You just need to come to the realization that many of us have and, again, be honest with yourself. Without Cal, Memphis basketball aint shit. That Final Four you had stripped wouldn't have been yours in the first place without Cal. The guys Cal took to Kentucky that "raped" your program wouldnt have been yours in the first place without Cal. All those boosters and FedEx money wouldn't have started coming in without Cal. When you hire John Calipari to be your coach it's your fault if you dont know what you're getting into, just like it's your fault if you cant see the benefit of bringing him in regardless.

You guys had some great years with Cal, don't be arrogant and naive and turn on a guy who took you places not a lot of other guys can, whether or not he had to do things not a lot of other guys do to do it, because next thing you know it'll be 12 years from now, Antonio Anderson will be your coach, you wont have been to an NCAA Tournament in a decade and you'll wish to God that "scumbag" Cal would walk back through that door.

Also:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... forgotten/

UofMTigers
Sophomore

Post by UofMTigers » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:55 pm

i've told you over and over...i bought his shtick hook line and sinker...it just seems you never came out of it.

see, Memphis has been going to Final Fours since 1973 with Gene Bartow and Larry Finch...Cal only matched what Bartow had achieved 30 years before...and unlike UMass, won't fade away once he leaves.

maybe after he's left 3 schools in his wake you'll see...but i bet you'll still be saying "but he was never personally involved!"

i bet Cal had NO idea Camby was getting money...and he had NO idea Rose had an SAT issue...and he had NO idea Bledsoe had eligibility issues...he's a modern sergeant Schultz...he knows NUTZING!
vist us at memphistigers.org

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:40 am

Oh will you fucking go away. You are going to pass at old age such a bitter man for no reason. Let it go.

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:48 am

UofMTigers wrote:i've told you over and over...i bought his shtick hook line and sinker...it just seems you never came out of it.

see, Memphis has been going to Final Fours since 1973 with Gene Bartow and Larry Finch...Cal only matched what Bartow had achieved 30 years before...and unlike UMass, won't fade away once he leaves.

maybe after he's left 3 schools in his wake you'll see...but i bet you'll still be saying "but he was never personally involved!"

i bet Cal had NO idea Camby was getting money...and he had NO idea Rose had an SAT issue...and he had NO idea Bledsoe had eligibility issues...he's a modern sergeant Schultz...he knows NUTZING!
"Going to Final Fours since 1973"????

You'd gone to TWO Final Fours since 1973 and none in 23 years before Cal brought you back. Not only that, but your last Final Four was vacated as well for the same type of stuff. So you havent been to a legit Final Four since 1973 but you make it sound like what Cal did is just picking up where previous Memphis basketball teams left off. Please.

You missed the entire point of my post. Where did I ever claim Cal wasnt personally involved? Did I ever insinuate that Cal was ignorant to what was going on? No, I said Cal was a shady coach and you take the good with the bad when you hire him.

Really, you're throwing an arrogant temper tantrum. You think Memphis is bigger than Cal and not the other way around, and how dare he tarnish your program. In reality though, Drew, your program just realized the apex of its potential and reached a level no other Memphis coach ever brought it to, so you will realize sooner or later that without Cal you were just another also-ran playing in a Final Four every 20 or 30 years and you're now that again, so maybe the cheating scumbag who had you on top wasn't so bad after all.

Old-School
Sophomore

Post by Old-School » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:08 am

Let me start of by sayin i think Cal is a great coach and i was lucky enough to meet him when i was young and attended his camp and before a Temple game at the Cage, but his record of off-court crap really speaks for itself. He is a GREAT coach on the court and has great relationships with his players and turns them into pros, but to try and sweep all of the violations and possible violations under the rug is just dumb. Bottom line he is a cheater.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:13 am

I never thought of him as a cheater at UMass. The only incident was Camby, and that was pretty marginal as far as the coach's involvement. However, the crap he pulled at Memphis was truly sleazy.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams