KAEO: Chaz Williams

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by MJatUM » Tue May 30, 2017 12:29 pm

It takes some degree of coaching to get a whole team to buy into the "we're going to let this guy create the whole offense on his own" scheme. Coaching isn't all about drawing up plays eldon. It also involves the nuances you don't always think of. Like yelling box out on free throws.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue May 30, 2017 12:31 pm

Need the right pair of shoes too to handle all that jumping around
Time to Win

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue May 30, 2017 1:13 pm

eldonabe wrote: Don't do it IV....... Don't go there................

Be a dick all you want, but it was an accurate statement.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:19 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:By "sold his soul", you mean built a pretty good team and did a decent enough job of coaching them, right?

The second half of that season I saw Chaz do all the same things he did in the first half of the season. Less shots fell, they lost a couple tight games, and we know what happened in said NCAA Tournament game.

And the team played pretty well down the stretch that year. I think they won 7 of their last 10 going into the A10 and 2 of those losses were a close game at Dayton and a 2 point gut punch last second loss to ranked StL. I'd love to see another UMass player go rouge this year and take the team to the tourney.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue May 30, 2017 1:32 pm

MJatUM wrote:It takes some degree of coaching to get a whole team to buy into the "we're going to let this guy create the whole offense on his own" scheme. Coaching isn't all about drawing up plays eldon. It also involves the nuances you don't always think of. Like yelling box out on free throws.
You forgot "Play Harder"!!!!! Goddammit that is some sound coaching advice right there.... :lol:

As for you IV..... Ok if you want to go there.....
You do not go 13-0 by accident any more than you go 8-8 by accident.

By whatever means you would like to use to justify - that team got off to a torrid start - I am sure DK has some responsibility for that.

However, you can sum up the entire DK regime in that one season.....

1 - Start out with something that works
2 - Ride it until it doesn't work any more
3 - Ride it some more
4 - Make no adjustments (Either for the sake of making adjustments or to counter the adjustments the other team made to stop what was working)
5 - Lose

I suppose the one caveat to the 5 step plan above is that sometimes he wasn't even able to devise something that worked for a few minutes in the first place... :oops:

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue May 30, 2017 1:36 pm

fenway617 wrote: And the team played pretty well down the stretch that year.
^not sure about that. they finished 6-4 going into the A10 and 7-6 overall after a 16-1 (3-0) start. Then, they split in A10 and dropped the one and only NCAA game.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue May 30, 2017 1:38 pm

You certainly had no problem with being a dick about it. That and probably a maniacal laugh when you stood at your keyboard and typed out "As for you"

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue May 30, 2017 2:03 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:
fenway617 wrote: And the team played pretty well down the stretch that year.
^not sure about that. they finished 6-4 going into the A10 and 7-6 overall after a 16-1 (3-0) start. Then, they split in A10 and dropped the one and only NCAA game.
"Dropped" is a pretty kind description - no?

- Did not show up for.....
- Got Duquesne'd for..... (a metaphor that did not actually exist until a this February - but accurate none-the-less) Perhaps instead we could use "Got 0-43 Fordham'd for" to be more relevant to that time period
- Got blown out for....
- Was just happy to be there [and it showed] for.....
- Did not prepare in any way shape or form for......

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:31 pm

^ With the exception of "Was just happy to be there [and it showed] for.....the same could be said for the Stony Brook game at the Bill in the NIT the season before" when they clearly weren't happy to be there [which also showed]... . :evil:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue May 30, 2017 2:51 pm

LS71 wrote:^ With the exception of "Was just happy to be there [and it showed] for.....the same could be said for the Stony Brook game at the Bill in the NIT the season before" when they clearly weren't happy to be there [which also showed]... . :evil:
I don't really put that on DK... You can do all you possibly can to try and get a team up for the game. If the guys checked out then they checked out. That's on the players 99%.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue May 30, 2017 3:21 pm

FWIW, I heard a rumor that playing in actual games while high was happening sometime around the 2013-14 season.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue May 30, 2017 3:24 pm

^I'm high right now.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue May 30, 2017 3:26 pm

You'd have to be high to believe that.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue May 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Another thread that I wish would go away. Add this to all the Ford and Kellogg coaching evaluations in the MM thread.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue May 30, 2017 3:38 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:You'd have to be high to believe that.
You remember that Trey Davis music video, right? Do you think it's really that much of a stretch to think some of the guys played games while high?