The Big Dance Thread

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Rudy
Junior

The Big Dance Thread

Post by Rudy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:21 am

I love college hoops. UMass has been on the sidelines for fifteen years and I'm not going to let that kill my spirit.

Teams of interest:

Richmond a 7; Xavier a 6; and Temple a 5; not much respect for the A-10 in my opinion. Richmond deserved higher than a 7 seed and Temple deserved a 4 seed.

URI = Officially the last team out. That sucks for them. So close.

Memphis = First four out

UVM = Only NE team to make it, wow, isnt that weird? Cuse first road. Bye Mounts. Enjoy your time in the hotel bar.

The Caliparis = Have Temple in the bracket, interesting. New Mexico is the three in their bracket and Wisconsin is the four, weak. West Virginia is the two, great match up. Calipari vs. Huggins.

Temple = Cornell and Wisconsin to get to the Sweet Sixteen. Cornell is a sleeper, but this is where I like Fran Dunphy. He knows this dynamic better than anybody. Wisconsin doesnt impress me much. Decent path to sweet sixteen, then Kentucky.

Xavier = They have a hot Minnesota team, but I'm not impressed with them or the Big Ten. Pitt is a tough three, who they would face next. May not make it to the sweet sixteen. If they do, K-State is the two in the bracket. I think the softest two in the bracket.

Richmond = Saint Marys then Villanova. Ouch. tough road to the Sweet Sixteen. Nova is one of those weird teams than can get hot or just melt down. The spiders have their work cut out for them.

Rich a 7; X a 6; Temp a 5; not much respect in my opinion. Richmond deserves higher than a 7 seed and Temple deserved a 4.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:41 am

So if Kansas is the #1 seed overall why does Duke get the winner of the play-in game?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 am

And how does Syracuse lose their last game and get a #1 seed over the team that won their conference tournament??? Ugh. Same old, same old.

LooneyGoon
Junior

Post by LooneyGoon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:15 am

A-10 got screwed.

- Temple has to play a team with 4 losses...

- X will have to match up with Pitt in the 2nd round....

- Did anyone else see Jay Bilas having Ricmond in the elite 8?

Anyway, JOIN MY POOL.... PM me for details or see the thread...

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:41 am

LS71 wrote:So if Kansas is the #1 seed overall why does Duke get the winner of the play-in game?

I don't understand that either. I also HATE that the play-in game consists of conference tournament winners. It should be a play in of bubble teams that just barely made the tournament. Ridiculous, if you ask me.

Kosty wrote:And how does Syracuse lose their last game and get a #1 seed over the team that won their conference tournament??? Ugh. Same old, same old.

Overall body of work, I'd guess.

I'm also surprised the ACC got as many teams in as they did, and the Washington winning the PAC-10 screwed the A-10 out of getting URI or Dayton in. Darn.

Temple should have been a 4, but probably not any higher as Seth or Greg had suggested on the selection show (one of them said as high as a 3). Richmond and X should have both been 5s.

flagpole1227
Freshman

Post by flagpole1227 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 am

Since the play in game is on Tuesday night the committee must allow time for travel and rest so the winner can't play on Thursday. The winner is seeded with the highest 1 seed that was placed in a Friday/Sunday First and Second Round location. Kansas and Kentucky were both placed in venues playing on Thursday so the play in game winner goes to Duke.

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:07 pm

IV, I agree. If you made the play-in game between the last two at large teams on the bubble, you get some pretty good teams. It would also be a game worth watching as opposed to two tiny schoold that nobody knows anything about. Imagine if the Catamounts could knock off the Cuse again? Gus Johnson's head might explode! I don't see it happening though.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Gus was doing the UTEP-Houston game and he sounded like his head was ready to burst!!! It was pretty funny. Love Gus.

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Kosty, I was watching that one on Saturday as well. Gus is the best.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:33 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:...
I'm also surprised the ACC got as many teams in as they did, and the Washington winning the PAC-10 screwed the A-10 out of getting URI or Dayton in. Darn.

I thought so as well but the thing is that Dance Card predicted the at-large bids almost perfectly and according to their model URI and UD weren't even that close. Whatever factors the committee is using for selection, Dance Card does a pretty damn good job of modelling it:

http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm

The fact that it can be so accurately modelled strongly suggests that the selection is a very rational process. That said, the seeding does not correspond nearly as well with the Dance Card ratings as the selection does. This means that a different mix of criteria is used for seeding. I believe that BCS affiliation and reputation are directly influencing seeding but only indirectly impacting selection.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:20 pm

^

Interesting stuff 87. I am sure the selection process isn't as difficult as some pundits make it out to be.

Quann wrote:IV, I agree. If you made the play-in game between the last two at large teams on the bubble, you get some pretty good teams. It would also be a game worth watching as opposed to two tiny schoold that nobody knows anything about.
My issue isn't with the no name teams or people watching the game. My issue is with putting teams who earned their way into the tournament by doing well in their conference and winning the conference torunament into a "play-in" game. It makes ZERO sense. Why should teams who already played their way into the tournament have to play in a "play-in" game?? It is ridiculous. No conference tournament winner should have to play in a "play-in" game.

bharms08
Senior

Post by bharms08 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Since we're talking former opponents, I really like Baylor. besides the fact that they throttled us earlier this year, theyre in the weakest bracket (in my opinion) with Duke, Villanova, Purdue, and Texas A&M. If they keep winning, theyll eventually get to play in Houston, huge geographical advantage. Throughout the year I've felt Baylor has been under the radar, so if you're looking for a Non 1 or 2 seed for your Final 4, I'd go with Baylor

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:03 pm

How could I forget out boy, Ford.

Any thoughts on Okie St.

The Baylor comment made think of Okie. The Big 12 is deep, who knows how good they really are. Baylor and Okie looked great at times.

Number seven seed. Another dangerous seven. Geogia Tech and then Ohio State.

Hate Ford all you want, but his style of play is fun to watch.

Quinn
Junior

Re: The Big Dance Thread

Post by Quinn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Rudy wrote: Teams of interest:

URI = Officially the last team out. That sucks for them. So close.

Memphis = First four out
I missed something. Where did the NCAA committee say that URI was the last team out? A #2 seed in the NCAA-run NIT tournament suggests otherwise.

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:59 pm

I have Travis Ford losing to Georgia Tech after seeing his flame outs in the A10 tournament. If you hombres are looking for an upset try the Aztecs of San Diego State. I work with a kid that played for the Aztecs back in the 90s when they went to the tournament. He follows them like a hawk and says they match up well with Bruce "I am less manly than Pat Summitt" Pearl's Volunteers.

Calipari has a huge hurdle with Texas in round 2. A buddy of mine just bet Texas to win it all in Vegas at 20-1...they are a scary team. I have Calipari's Cats beating Orangemen in Final.