The Big Dance Thread

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
The Truth
Sophomore

Post by The Truth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:50 pm

econalum wrote:
OutlawPete wrote:Love Big Red in Syracuse against Kentucky next weekend.
I was at the game and the Carrier Dome was electric and surprisingly loud. The vast majority of the crowd, outside of the pack of delusional Kentucky fans, were pulling for Cornell. Cornell went down fighting but the refs allowed it to be a street ball game and they couldn't beat Kentucky in a game like that. But the refs called the game closer today and WVU pulled out the win. Will there be no #1 seeds in the final four? Has that ever happened?

I have to say, some of the fans were pulling for Cornell but there were a lot of people rooting against Kentucky and none of them were Louisville fans. It was clear why they were anti-Kentucky. World Wide Wes was sitting near Ashley Judd again. There is a reason why Kentucky is becoming a very disliked program.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:52 pm

right now CBS sports channel is showing the non D1 football schools who reached the final four and quess what, Massachusetts is rightr there. not vacated at all. and who is behind the desk doing commentary? one of our former head coaches, Coach S.L. , who apparently cannot be named here. He looks good with a nice hair do,. tanned rested and ready to coach again!
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:41 pm

I am still in shock over how Kentucky played that 2nd half last night. I am a little jaded because I had a wager on UK for the game and then made a large wager on the 2nd half after watching how the 1st half played out. UK had the distinct adavantage on the post, no one on WV could match up with Cousins and Patterson on the block. They used the gimmick 1-3-1 with the PG on the baseline. The zone could not contain Wall from getting into the lane whenever he wanted. Even with Uk not hitting any 3's in the 1st half, they were getting open looks and had the advantage with points in the paint. The WV offense looked terrible, didn't made a 2 pt bucket and for a poor 3 point shooting team was abble to hit 8 in the half.

How does Calipari allow UK to shoot so many 3's in the 2nd half? Even Patterson was throwing up 3's. And then the defense that played so well in the 1st half decided to let a non-scoring PG drive the lane for uncontested layups. Kentucky is still trying to figure out how to stop that curl screen they kept running for open layups. Gotta give Huggins and WV credit for that 2nd half offensive gameplan, they didn't just settle for the 3 in the 2nd half. Butler might be the most underrated star player in the country, that guy has been clutch all year.

bharms08
Senior

Post by bharms08 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:45 pm

if there's any doubt as to who the best coach in college bball is, msu and izzo settled it today

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:53 pm

bharms08 wrote:if there's any doubt as to who the best coach in college bball is, msu and izzo settled it today
After duke wins the whole thing, I think there will be a couple of K fans that will protest.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Butler opens up as a 1 point favorite over MSU. Who would have predicted that the so-called "cinderella" team is a favorite to make the championship game. What a crazy year it has been.

The Truth
Sophomore

Post by The Truth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Rudy wrote:
bharms08 wrote:if there's any doubt as to who the best coach in college bball is, msu and izzo settled it today
After duke wins the whole thing, I think there will be a couple of K fans that will protest.
Izzo has done what he has done with 1/8th as many McD AAs or 5 star recruits as K has had. He really is a great coach.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:12 pm

I think I am going to win my pool for the first time in about 20 yrs.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Who do you have?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:17 am

uz2b-len wrote:Who do you have?
I WVU and Duke and WVU winning it all. THe rest of my bracket blew up, but so did everyone else's. The Kentucky game guaranteed me some $$$$

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:39 am

I hope your right about WVU because I'm one of those people who just can't stand Duke.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:50 am

I'm usually on that can't stand wagon myself but I like the way Duke plays this year. Tough and in-your face. They actually have some height that play hard for the first time since Brand. WVU vs. Duke is going to be a slugfest.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:01 am

I like Butler vs. WVU for the finals. Truck Bryant may be a go for the Mountaineers on Saturday. I love Mazulla coming off the bench with the way he is playing. I'm going with Butler to take the whole thing though because of the way they play defense. That and the fact that Matt Howard has the whole creepy Rik Smits/Larry Bird mustache going.

Mark 80
Sophomore

Post by Mark 80 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:13 am

The left side of my bracket was toast early. I got the right side correct for the Elite 8 and Final 4. I am going with WVU over Duke and Mich St over Butler with Mich St cutting down the nets. Izzo is just too good of an in game coach.
"In our Country... one class of men makes war and leaves another to fight it out." ~ William T. Sherman

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:48 am

I'm going with Duke over WVU because they won't shoot 3-100 from 3 like UK, and Mich. st. over Butler in a coin toss. Duke over Mich st. for the whole thing.