53 Years Ago Tonight! Original post

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: 52 Years Ago Tonight! Original post

Post by SignMan » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:22 pm

Same original class year as Mrs SM.
Dr J is 6 days older than Mrs SM.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: 53 Years Ago Tonight! Original post

Post by LS71 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:12 pm

Bumping this one...it was 53 years ago tonight that UMass played Syracuse at the Cage. It was Julius Erving’s 21st birthday and it turned out to be his last home game.

As many of you know, dunking was not allowed then…even during warm ups (thanks to Lew Alcindor). If a player dunked during warm-ups a T was called.

I just saw Charles Barkley interview him on the NBA TV. https://www.nba.com/watch/video/sir-charles-the-doctor

Julius talks about how he got to UMass.

Julius says Kareem is the best player he played against was Kareem and can't believe that Kareem is never in the GOAT conversation. He talks about the first time he Kareem....while still at UMass. He didn't say anything about the 'Lew Alcindor rule' that prevented him from dunking while at UMass.

On this night, Syracuse came to town with an All-American center by the name of Bill Smith. The game was on TV (channel 27 in Worcester), a rarity in those days. The Cage was packed early in anticipation of the big game.

Before the refs came out, Julius appeared at the south end of the Cage floor with two basketballs. He went from one end of the floor to the other and dunked BOTH balls. The place went wild. Syracuse and their center never had a chance. UMass won 86-71 and Julius got a double-double…36 point and 32 rebounds as UMass went to 20-3.

Still my favorite UMass basketball memory!

Happy 74th birthday Julius Erving!!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:28 pm

I wasn't around then but I still have my Converse DrJ poster in my home office. Would LOVE to get that thing signed

The Doctor
Time to Win

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:53 pm

Maybe he’s one of legends that’ll be there Saturday…

The interview with Charles is very entertaining. You can watch it on nba.com
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving