Barbee coaching

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Barbee and UTEP/Auburn

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:58 am

Marty Peretz wrote:Cam is correct in so far as DK has a slightly better reputation in the basketball world more broadly than he does among many who frequent this message board.

BUT I wouldn't say he's terribly highly regarded in the college hoops world more broadly. I think he's seen as a very good recruiter and a average to below average tactician. Which is pretty much correct. The difference is that the basketball world more broadly sees lots and lots of teams and thus isn't as aghast at every little decision DK makes in the way that fans on here would be (since many of them see tons of UMass games but don't watch much outside of UMass).

So true. We pretty much all see every bit of the UMass season, but it's impossible for everyone to see every bit of every other team's season. It's beyond easy to nitpick what goes on here and make assumptions about what goes on elsewhere.

That coaching piece hasn't clicked yet, and maybe it never will. That's a reality, unfortunately. But his recruiting has still been extremely good considering who we are and I have no doubt that if DK were to be let go, he'd land a top assistant job at a big school quickly.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:51 am

When I do watch college hoops on TV, I'm often surprised that a lot of teams don't run any better offense than we do. Some, though, really know what they're doing.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:29 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:if DK were to be let go, he'd land a top assistant job at a big school quickly.
More than likely. He's the quintessential assistant coach, and most probably a good one. He didn't get the UMass job without knowing basketball or being able to run a practice or recruit. He is just not head coach material, or at least a major D1 level HC. Where you sit on the bench makes a big difference. Some head coaches would make for a lousy assistant, too.

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:12 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:
InnervisionsUMASS wrote:if DK were to be let go, he'd land a top assistant job at a big school quickly.
More than likely. He's the quintessential assistant coach, and most probably a good one. He didn't get the UMass job without knowing basketball or being able to run a practice or recruit. He is just not head coach material, or at least a major D1 level HC. Where you sit on the bench makes a big difference. Some head coaches would make for a lousy assistant, too.
He'll be on Cal's staff if he doesn't get another HC job. Or Larranaga. I can't see him in another spot.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:39 pm

cam9219 wrote:
InnervisionsUMASS wrote:^

I don't think that's what he meant, LS....

I think he was referring to being on the list.
Yes. Thank you.

Sorry about that. :oops:

We actually agree on the subject. :)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Calmass9
Junior

Post by Calmass9 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:10 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:
Bingo ^

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:40 pm

MikeEsq wrote:
He'll be on Cal's staff if he doesn't get another HC job. Or Larranaga. I can't see him in another spot.

Did I miss something... did DK get fired today? I am all for DK hanging his shingle somewhere else but he is still our coach and for better or worse I would rather talk about how shitty he is for us until it he will be doing it for some other team for certain....

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:36 am

Dusting off this particular thread...

Auburn, where Barbee was last a head coach, got smoked last night: 84-53 to Clemson. Late in the game, Barbee tweeted:
https://twitter.com/CoachTonyBarbee/sta ... 7216723969

There was no context, but a lot of people assume he was laughing about Auburn getting blown out. Auburn fans are not letting that go unanswered.

Assuming it was laughing about Auburn, that's a dick move on Tony's part. You don't have to like the school that fired you, but you don't have to publicly kick them when they're down either. Doing something like that isn't going to help build his credentials if he wants to get out from under Cal's wing again.

Agree/disagree?

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:38 am

^ Completely agree. Childish.

Old-School
Junior

Post by Old-School » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:38 am

agreed, I think if he actually accomplished something as a coach other than being Cals guy then maybe he can say something. But his head coaching resume might be the worst of all of Cals disciples

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:21 am

^ Didn't he do a pretty good job at UTEP?

Orlando Antigua's HC resume is far worse than Barbee.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 am

82-52 during his time at UTEP, with one conference championship and one NCAA appearance.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:40 am

^ Right, in only 4 years, with a 60.9% conference winning percentage. That would put him above Antigua, Kellogg, Flint... and off the top of my head I'm not even sure who else is in the Cal coaching tree who's been a HC.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 am

I don't think that Auburn job is a great job. Had good success this year until the tourney, but will see how it all shakes out with Pearl and the FBI investigation. Pearl is a good coach, but things seem to happen when he is the coach.

As for Barbee's tweet, not the best look and sometimes folks should take a step back from posting something, but it happens.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:51 am

In other news, looks like Barbee could be an assistant again at Memphis.
Last edited by McKinney on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass