Where Have You Seen UMass play?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
ScottieB
Junior

Post by ScottieB » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:40 pm

This is such a cool thread! Need to think on this... and I definitely don't know the names of all the stadiums but...

Football:
McGuirk
James Madison
Boston University (last football game ever at that place - rainy and miserable, huge blowout loss for UMass)
Finley Stadium (Chattanooga!!!)
U Delaware
U Conn

Hoops:
Mullins
MSG
Providence Civic Center
Ryan Center
The Spectrum (philly)
UConn

I know I'm forgetting some...

chdavis295
Senior

Post by chdavis295 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:05 am

Only a sophomore so hope to keep this list growing but:

The Bill
The Cage
The Garden
Ryan Center
UD Arena
Walsh Gymnasium
Conte Forum
Boardwalk Hall
Mass Mutual Center
The Dak

and hopefully many more to come

Kev1999
Sophomore

Post by Kev1999 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Hoops
Mullins Center
Meadowlands (4/96-Final Four, 12/95 & 12/96-Jimmy V Classic)
The Centrum
Madison Square Garden
Walsh Gym (Seton Hall)

Football
McGuirk
Shuart Stadium (Hofstra)
Delaware Stadium
Michie Stadium (Army/West Point)

Lacrosse
Garber
McGuirk
Shuart Stadium (Hofstra)
LaValle Stadium (Stonybrook)
Calvert Hall HS (Baltimore)
Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia)
Homewood Field (Hopkins)
Yurcak Field (Rutgers)
Bethpage High School

Hockey
Mullins
Last edited by Kev1999 on Tue May 01, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Hazel '96
Junior

Post by Happy Hazel '96 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:43 am

Wow. Didn't even realize this thread actively existed. Well I've been a serious fan for 20 years... walked onto our Amherst, Mass. campus in the Fall of 1991.

Well anyway, here goes the shaking up of thy memory...

The Cage
The Mullins Center
(The first ever game there against W. Virginia) - Including the UConn game, the Temple blow-out from a few years back, and honestly dozens of games while I was still a student and 20-plus games since I graduated (BC to Vanderbilt). And from Jim McCoy to Chaz Williams I've been passionately following the UMass Basketball program for half my life... they are for sure the first sports team I support.

Madison Square Garden - The '94/'95 or '95/'96 (I forget) regular season game against Fordam - during Camby's 2nd or 3rd season. NIT Championship game against Ohio State '07/'08

The Fleet Center - The Memphis game in Dec. of '09.
The Atlantic City Convention Center (Boardwalk Hall) - Atlantic 10 Conference Tourney against Temple March '12.

Hey, and ya know what? I'm gonna tack on this coming Tuesday, March 27th too... yes indeed... this guy will be at the Stout Bar around the 4 O'clock hour and in the crowd cheering on the team come tip-off. Keepin' it real now people! Let's do this... show up in force! You know these boys will be playing their fuckin' asses off - the least we can do is show up in numbers and cheer them on as loudly and as passionately as we can... Be in New York City on Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 at the World's Greatest Arena... Madison Square Garden... Massachusetts vs. Stanford!!!!!!

Refuse to Lose! Go UMass!

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:12 am

Happy Hazel '96 wrote: Madison Square Garden - The '94/'95 or '95/'96 (I forget) regular season game against Fordam - during Camby's 2nd or 3rd season.
Was that the game of the "pink" (or so they looked because of the way they were cared for) jerseys for UMass? Or am I totally crazy and misremembering that this ever happened?
Hire Matt McCall!

Happy Hazel '96
Junior

Post by Happy Hazel '96 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:57 pm

^^ Not that I remember. I do remember having pretty good seats though, and seeing Camby up close (never saw him on campus) and damn he was (is) a tall boy!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Refuse2Lose83 wrote:
Happy Hazel '96 wrote: Madison Square Garden - The '94/'95 or '95/'96 (I forget) regular season game against Fordam - during Camby's 2nd or 3rd season.
Was that the game of the "pink" (or so they looked because of the way they were cared for) jerseys for UMass? Or am I totally crazy and misremembering that this ever happened?
You're not wrong. I had memory of this too, but the NY Times confirms it:
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/07/sport ... all&src=pm

That was an "alternate home court" game for Fordham on 2/6/1996.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Updating/editing again as of November 28, 2015

MGM Grand-Vegas (Nov 2015)
Harvard--Lavietes Pavillion (Nov 2014)
Mohegan Sun (Nov 2014)
St Joes--Hagan Arena aka Hawk Hill (Feb 2014)
Barclays Center, Brooklyn NY. (2013, 2014)
Fordham--Rose Hill (2009, 2013, 2015)
St. Louis' old arena in probably 07 (just opened a new one on campus last season; haven't been)..they played at the Savvis Center downtown. Now might called Scott Trade. Also saw UMass-SLU in 05-06 out in St. Charles Missouri.
Seton Hall at the Prudential Center in downtown Newark (09-10 season I believe) and at Walsh Arena on campus for NIT in 2012
The building formerly known as the Centrum (Louisville in 95 or 96, an absolutely great game)
The Bill (my favorites: UConn 04, Wake Forest 95)
The TD Garden (Memphis 09, BC 10, BC 13)
The Cage (most recently was the Elon opener in Chaz's first year playing for us)
The MassMutual Center/Springfield Civic Center (best game I've seen there was against Maryland and Joe Smith in what I believe was Camby's freshman year during the long-defunct Abdow's Bigboy restaurant classic)
MSG (vs St. John's in December '05 in that holiday tourney, NIT 2012)
Smith Center at GW (2011-2012 season, 2013-2014 season)
AC Boardwalk Hall (2011-2012 conference tourney)
Quinnipiac (Gurley's goal tended buzzer beater 2010-11)

Would like to get to Dayton, but have no real intention of spending disposable income on a ticket to Dayton, Ohio. If UMass ever played at Kansas again (but at their real arena, not a neutral site like we did in 08), I'd seriously consider making the trek. Same for Kentucky, Butler (they play in Hinkle Field House where Hoosiers was filmed), or the University of Texas (need an excuse to visit Austin). Surprisingly not overly interested in hitting Cameron Indoor or the Dean Dome (the latter is still fairly new, while the former is over-mythologized by the press, according to a lot of people I know who've been there). Also, would love to see a UMass game at the Palestra in Philly, as most everyone I've talked to has said it's hands down the best venue in the sport.
Last edited by Marty Peretz on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

txprog

Post by txprog » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Marty Peretz wrote:I started this thread 2+ years ago, but have been to a handful of places since, so I'm updating my list...

The building formerly known as the Centrum (Louisville in 95 or 96, an absolutely great game)
in the sport.
It was 95. My was wife was in labor and I was watching this game on the tube in her room. As I recall, it was down-to-the wire UMASS victory.

diplomat
Junior

in Miami

Post by diplomat » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:55 pm

Saw them play in Miami. Chaz dropped something like 25 pts. Even though they lost I saw a team that had a lot of heart and I was tuned in for the rest of what was a great season. Seeing how skinny Putney was in Person was a bit of a shock but even though he didnt have a good game I saw that he has tremendous potential.

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Seen them everywhere they've played in New England but the best was the Final Four run. Started with the first two games in Providence, then made the road trip down to Atlanta and saw what I think is the greatest game they ever played, the complete annilation of Allan Iverson and Georgetown. Remember all of us chanting "we want Kentucky" after the game (actually started in the second half) and Calipari coming over to us and telling us to quiet down with that talk.
UMass '87

Max11
Junior

Post by Max11 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:49 am

Cool thread - I'm surprised I just saw it:

Basketball
Mullins
TD Garden
Madison Square Garden
Ryan Center

Football
McGuirk
Gillette Stadium
Alumni Stadium (BC)
Zable Stadium (William & Mary)
The Big House
(90% going to Akron this year)

Hockey
Mullins

Butter
Sophomore

Post by Butter » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Basketball:

Cage
Mullins
Fleet center
Hartford civic center
Worcester civic center
First union center (Philly)
AC
Conte forum

Hockey:
Matthews
Agganis
Mullins
Conte

dallasminuteman
Junior

Post by dallasminuteman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 pm

The Cage (all the time-went to UMass 77-81)
Mullins- not many here, but I can sure pick 'em: The two I remember best are the Temple game where Chaney went off post-game (didn't know about it until the next day after flying home to Texas) and the upset of UConn during the Lappas era.
Hartford Civic Center
Erwin Center in Austin vs Texas (met Bruiser and Jack Leaman at after-game alumni gathering. Very cool)
Lafayette, LA vs SW La. Fun night and day in Cajun country.
Licouras Center in Philly last year.
**EDIT** Add Baton Rouge vs LSU this year. Could have done without seeing that game. Love that building though.

Also have seen football at Kansas State, Michigan, Rentschler, etc. Most memorable was road trip to BU while in school for a televised game in a freakin' monsoon. There were maybe 50 people in the stands, and I think UMass won 3-0. Jim Jensen (future Dolphin) played QB for BU at the time. Weather was TERRIBLE, and I also seem to remember that the broadcast ended up being done from one or maybe two cameras, as they had to take anyone on a crane down due to the wind. The winning field goal was maybe 20 yards.
Last edited by dallasminuteman on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Jack.....

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:41 am

dallasminuteman wrote:Erwin Center in Austin vs Texas (met Bruiser and Jack Leaman at after-game alumni gathering. Very cool)
That "gathering" is where I first met "The Rick." Do you remember meeting either of us?