Anthony Anderson Update

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:59 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
PreecherJenkins wrote:
I boycotted UMass basketball during the lappas era, how did he end his career?

I am sorry to hear that. That is the defenition of a bad fan.
How does that make me a bad fan? From moment one that Lappas was in Amherst i said "bad hire and wrong guy for the job." I gave him one season and with the talent he had coming back on the 01-02 team he should have been much better than a team hovering around 500. From that point forward I stopped supporting the program. My chocie as a fan. Did I still go to games, yes, but i had no interest in seeing Steve Lappas succeed whatsoever. His conduct around campus was horrible bailing on serveral different commitments at the last minute. I frankly had enough of him and bought season tickets the day he got fired

Also you are correct, I have no interest in reading about TG. he is going to play in either the D-League or over seas, which he should be real proud of. I loved having him on our team for the last few seasons and he was the only guy who showed heart at the games i went to last year. He does not nearly have the athletic ability or the strength to play in the league. The strength is what held Lasme back, he can block shots but was never able to put on the muscle like a D-Howard or a Josh Smith on Atlanta.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:02 pm

:roll:

Forget I said anything. Clearly that explanation means you are actually a very good fan. I was wrong.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Good to see that AA is doing well.

CraigG
Freshman

Post by CraigG » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:30 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Again, the way I remember it, there were rumblings that AA could have played those last few games, but was holding out as to not risk aggravating the injury any further, and at the same time hoping to improve his chances at playing professionally at some level. Some had a hard time swallowing that, concluding that he quit on the team at the time when we needed him most: a run at the post-season.

FWIW, I remember watching AA on the sidelines wearing street clothes and cheering on Chris Chadwick and the rest of the team as loudly as anyone else in the Bill. I never once thought that he was holding back nor that he did not want to be on the court. I understand that I did not know any inside info and didn't frequent umasshoops.com at the time. I just know that I watched AA as a competitor for 3.5 years, and I don't think he would just give up a few games before the end of the season, at least I don't want to believe that.

Rocks makes a valid point though, how can we blame AA for giving up on Lappas when most of our fan base did too (and deservedly so)? If AA was "holding out" because he felt he needed to in order to secure his goals for the future, then he does have that right. I just never figured him for the type to quit on a team. I'm glad he's currently having success at a professional level and keeps obtaining the goals he strives for.

Kickdrum
Sophomore

Post by Kickdrum » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:51 pm

If I recall correctly, Anderson was also suspended his senior year for a few games for "undisclosed reasons"...

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:20 am

The Lappas years were horrible. I always thought he tried to forcefeed his system on the players instead of playing to his players strengths. I always thought AA would have been even better here if he had been in a system like when TF was here. But it is what it is, and hope AA gets his opportunity to play in an elite league overseas
Time to Win

calihoops

Post by calihoops » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:40 am

Kickdrum wrote:If I recall correctly, Anderson was also suspended his senior year for a few games for "undisclosed reasons"...
I believe it was because he failed a drug test.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:03 am

It was a drug test.

Wheeler
Sophomore

Post by Wheeler » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:22 pm

I thought every one knew this story. One of the few rules Lappas had was you cannot wear a hat to team meetings. Who do think he had to keep telling to remove his hat. In the end Lappas got tired of telling the supposed leader of his team to remove his hat. More than one has heard stories of smoke around AA. Because of Lappas AA had the opportunity to be a D1 point guard and be the leader of a competitive D1 team. You cannot lay on all the blame on Lappas.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:49 pm

What?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Wheeler - I'm not blaming it all on Lappas. There is a problem, however, with players being penalized for transferring when they coach they agreed to play for is fired or leaves of his own accord. Players don't, as a generalization, come to UMass because it's UMass. They come to play with the coaches that recruited them because both parties feel the player will be a productive member of the team. AA came to UMass to play for Bruiser. It may well be that Steve Lappas would not have recruited AA because AA was not a good fit for him. AA would have been penalized a year of eligibility had he chosen not to play for Steve Lappas even though Steve Lappas might not have been a great coach for him.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:12 am

Steve Lappas was 25-39 in conference games while "coaching" at UMass. Out of conference he was unable to beat BC but he did have a big win over uCon and get his teeth fixed.

Hooray! :)

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:41 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:It was a drug test.
Yes, this was documented:
<a href="http://umasshoops.com/cgi-bin/frameset. ... sHoops.com" target="_top">http://umasshoops.com/games/2004-05/121 ... ticle5b</a>

That article is also a good example of when I give the full green light to talk about off-court incidents. Though Vautour didn't get a direct quote from somebody, he got the behind the scenes sources and felt solid enough about it to publish the story. If someone here were to try the same thing, that's not quite good enough. You're either an established journalist or you're not.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:21 am

Seems AA is heading down to Venezuela:
http://www.usbasket.com/PBL/basketball. ... sID=183513

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:51 am

Moving this over from a dupe thread...
Kosty wrote:Looks like Anderson is doing quite well up in the Great White North.....leading the league in scoring this year....

http://www.millratsbasketball.ca/14551/ ... dual-stats