Anthony Anderson Update

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MassDynasty321
Senior

Anthony Anderson Update

Post by MassDynasty321 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:56 pm

Getting some recognition from SLAM

http://www.slamonline.com/online/other- ... -the-game/

Played in Cyprus this year, second in the league in scoring and first in assists.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:56 am

Former UMass Amherst Point God
Spell check gone wrong, or way too much admiration?

AA: My oldest son’s mother had passed away. I put basketball on the back burner and got a job and did everything I had to do to get full custody of my son after that. I took about a year and a half off.
I hadn't heard that before.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:23 am

nice interview
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:02 pm

MikeUMA wrote:
Former UMass Amherst Point God
Spell check gone wrong, or way too much admiration?

I believe that's in deference to his Boston roots but spelled incorrectly (Gahhd) :lol:

Pissah article!
:D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:34 pm

AA was the MVP of the ABA last year for the Millrats

BishopMVP
Junior

Post by BishopMVP » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:07 am

AA was the most talented player I've seen on campus since I matriculated ('03). I can't figure out why he didn't make the NBA.
We lived a block from the beach and there was a KFC, McDonald’s and a Friday’s, and I’m a real picky eater so it was good.
Ummm... oh, that could help explain it.

In all seriousness, watching him go at RJ Cobbs and the other football players in Boyden was better than anything in the Mullins Center the last couple Lappas years. Hope he keeps doing well in Europe.

Wheeler
Sophomore

Post by Wheeler » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:54 am

Followed AA from high shcool and lost all respect for him and the way he ended his career at UMass.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:57 am

AA was not any where close to an NBA player. the only guy in the last 10 years who had a shot at the league was Lasme and possibly RH5.

I boycotted UMass basketball during the lappas era, how did he end his career?

Wheeler
Sophomore

Post by Wheeler » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:56 am

On the bench

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:57 am

AA had some sort of back injury near the end of his senior season. It's hard to pinpoint what it was. In the 2/9/05 game at Rhody, he played 38 minutes, and the game recaps say nothing about him being injured. Yet next game just 3 days later, he still played 33 minutes, but Lappas said "He is really hurting, his back is really killing him."

AA played sporadically over the next few games:
2/15 vs Florida State - DNP
- Before that game, the Collegian wrote "Putting a further damper on this statistic is the uncertain status of senior captain Anthony Anderson's back. Anderson has had discomfort in his back, but according to Lappas, it flared up a bit during the Fordham game." They also wrote "Anderson has been battling a back injury for much of the season."

2/19 at La Salle - did not travel with the team

2/23 vs Rhody - Wasn't expected to play, but Lappas said before the game that his injury was improving. AA did get 6 minutes of PT, and Lappas said after the game "he was fine."

2/26 at Temple - Played 21 minutes.

3/1 at Dayton - Pre-game: "'Anthony is day to day. He has not practiced'' on Monday, Lappas said. ''He had a setback. It did not respond well after the game. It was really hurting him a lot. I'm planning on going without him, but he definitely could play.'" Anderson did not end up making the trip.

3/5 vs Duquesne (Senior Night) - Pre-game, it was reported that AA was done for the season. He was in street clothes for the night.

3/9 vs La Salle (A-10 Tourney in Cincy) - Did not travel.

Again, the way I remember it, there were rumblings that AA could have played those last few games, but was holding out as to not risk aggrevating the injury any further, and at the same time hoping to improve his chances at playing professionally at some level. Some had a hard time swallowing that, concluding that he quit on the team at the time when we needed him most: a run at the post-season.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:25 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote:

I am sorry to hear that. That is the defenition of a bad fan.

Wheeler
Sophomore

Post by Wheeler » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:41 pm

Let me see, a coach with his job and future on the line and who spent four years trying to make a point guard the leader of the team decides not to play AA down the stretch. Injury or a coache's decision not to play AA because he was tired of his act. You tell me. Some think the latter.

umass21
Senior

Post by umass21 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:51 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote:AA was not any where close to an NBA player. the only guy in the last 10 years who had a shot at the league was Lasme and possibly RH5.

Have you also boycotted the Gaffney thread currently at the top of the page?

Anderson is a great example of someone who has no realistic shot at playing in the NBA, but has the opportunity to make a living for himself playing basketball. I'm guessing he isn't making big bucks in that league he was just in and I know he wasn't with the Millrats. It would definitely be good for him if he can move up a level and get into Greece, Spain or Italy like he is hoping.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:32 pm

Wheeler - AA did not come to play basketball with Steve Lappas. Because he had used up one of his 4 in 5 years he would have lost a year if he transferred so I doubt he ever seriously entertained the thought. I don't believe he was well coached or well used by Steve Lappas and I'm sure he got tired of it.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:41 pm

UMass87 wrote:I'm sure he got tired of it.
The rest of us sure as hell did.