Calipari to Kentucky?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:15 am

UMass87 wrote:probably within 20 years...whenever Pitino got hired
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:32 am

Wasn't there an article posted here somewhere that mentioned that the 1990s was the only decade Kentucky Basketball didn't have some sort of NCAA violation or investigation? Was there something that happened in the 2000s?

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:58 am

The Chris Mills/Emery incident happened during the 1987-88 season. It was prominently mentioned in John Feinstein's outstanding book, "A Season Inside."
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

MC85
Sophomore

Post by MC85 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:11 pm

It's pretty big new outside of the sports pages:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512227,00.html

A poll about coaches salaries:

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/ ... orts_ncaa/

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:54 pm

To clarify ktabz, UK's athletic department is run and financed completely seperately from the rest of the school. They've essentially set up a business enterprise to fund the sports programs. Not a dime of taxpayer money goes towards the athletic department. It's completely self-sustaining.
Last edited by Rocks22 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC85
Sophomore

Post by MC85 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:57 pm

Correct. "Only" $400K is coming from the school, the rest is from boosters and alumni.

Still, the argument can be made that the boosters and alumni would do more for the school if they gave an unrestricted gift to the school itself to be used where needed most. On the other hand, it's their money and they can divvy it out how they please.

Regardless of where the money is coming from, some people are going to be pissed off just because of the numbers involved.

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:42 pm

its the 510(c)(3) model that all the major schools' athletic departments use...it basically amounts to the department being a non-profit organization that funds itself

a fraction of that money comes from his actual, on-the-books salary from the budget. the boosters fund nearly all of it, which is why boosters are so powerful in coaching searches. that private plane that brought him to Lexington? funded by a booster. all the perks he probably gets, cars, country club memberships etc, funded by boosters. up front money and signing bonuses, funded by boosters.

some of the articles about his last day in memphis reflect this. what did memphis do to try to get him to stay? turned fed ex and all their influential boosters loose on him and told him "this is what we'll give you"

Jeff93
Junior

Post by Jeff93 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:39 am

MikeUMA wrote:
Rocks22 wrote:Are you guys incapable of seeing the winking smiley face Chris included with his post? He was kidding!
Smiley or no smiley, I can't believe how many people thought that DK to Memphis post was serious.

Come on people, please, smarten up. When the Conficker virus hits on Wednesday, I know who to blame first: you guys. You'll be clicking on the e-mail about some funny video on a server in Kreplachistan.
Geez, bad day? We board idiots are not the only ones who speculated on DK's future. Yeah, it seemed far fetched, but so did TF leaving 25 minutes after sewaring he would never leave. One of the guys on WEEI brought it up, and so did a sports reporter in an article I read through Yahoo. I can't remember either specifically, but that's not the point.

The point is, DK crossed a lot of people's minds, not just those posting in this thread. Smiley face or no (and yeah, I saw it, and I realize the post was tongue-in-cheek - but there was a hint of truth there), I don't think that speculation was unreasonable. And for someone (like, say, myself) who has been on this board for a long, long long time, I would think that regulars would know by now I am not prone to posting wild, speculative, off the chart unfounded crap. It was a thought I - and some others - obviously had and I don't think it makes us a bunch of lunatics.

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:31 am

Excerpt from the Commercial Appeal:

Some of Calipari's former assistants could come into play.

Before he left, Calipari lobbied for UTEP coach Tony Barbee to be his replacement, but a source said that it was extremely unlikely Barbee would get serious consideration because of the venom and angst directed at Calipari and "indirectly at Tony" by the powerbrokers in Memphis.

On the other hand, the name Derek Kellogg has not produced that level of venom, according to sources. Kellogg, who was Calipari's ace recruiter on the staff and was very popular in the Memphis community, left last spring to take the head coaching job at UMass, his alma mater.

Though Kellogg went just 12-18, he had victories over Kansas and Dayton. Kellogg would likely be an attainable but affordable choice and might have a shot to keep parts of the recruiting class together.

I can't see it, but who am I. If DK goes I say we go get Tony.

Strange days indeed!

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... -tim-floy/
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:59 am

Holy crap. I can't see it either, but angry people make irrational decisions.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Is there no respite from this angst?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:02 pm

So now we play Memphis without Cal at the Garden?!?!!

Is Kentucky messing up our Boston game plans again or what?!?!??
Refuse To Lose!!!

UMASSalum
Junior

Post by UMASSalum » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:51 pm

I still question what good it would do DK to go there (though I'm sure the $$ would be good).

The expectations that the team continues to be a top 10 program is going to still be there, and realistically he's not going to be able to recruit to Memphis the same way he could when Cal was there. . .and Conference USA isn't that good - so why go there - except of course the money. DK is the man, but he's still early in his career. Honestly, if Memphis doesn't get a prime time coach, the program is going to be just another average Conf. USA team. . .

6thManPA
Junior

Post by 6thManPA » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:34 pm

I doubt that DK is considering following Cal at Memphis: he only needs to give Bruiser Flint a call to help create a few second thoughts.

Go UMass!

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 pm

I expect we'll see UMass/Kentucky at the Garden sometime soon, a much better deal. Good luck to Cal.