Calipari to Kentucky?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Bubba
Sophomore

Calipari to Kentucky?

Post by Bubba » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:07 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090330/ap_ ... 4ALI5I2ocA

So does this put 2 former Umass coaches as head candidates for the Kentucky job?? What are peoples thoughts on this?

MassDynasty321
Senior

Post by MassDynasty321 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:09 pm

I would love to see Cal do it just to fuck TF over. Cal's gonna be there for a lot longer than two years.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:23 pm

No, it makes Kellogg the #1 candidate at Memphis.

:wink:

bharms08
Senior

Post by bharms08 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:49 pm

the first thing when i heard about this was how much this will impact the memphis game buzz. calipari coming to Boston to face UMass would be a huge storyline, and would greatly help our goal of getting eastern mass people into UMass again. if Calipari leaves (and takes a few of those recruits with him), that would really hurt our marquee OOC game next year

Jeff93
Junior

Post by Jeff93 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:11 pm

My first reaction to hearing this on WEEI a couple hours ago was for DK's future, as well. Though I have a hard time believing he would up and leave already, espcially since he seems to feel at home (and he is), and is settled back in in WMass, nothing is out of play in this game as we have seen. It would be very, very frustrating if it pans out that way. Regardless, I have a feeling we're going to have one of those "sitting on eggshells" Aprils around here again.

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:16 pm

Do you really think Memphis would want Kellogg after he didnt even have a winning season with UMass last year? Lets be real now.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm

http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story ... v=menu59_4

Ok so Cal has supposedly agreed to go to UK. 2 players are headed there too. UK just got a haul.

TheChamp
Junior

Post by TheChamp » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Kellogg isn't going anywhere. Doubt Memphis would want him, and Cal wouldn't let him do that to UMass if they did.

With that said, Cal to Kentucky... OK. What is more interesting to me is going to be the fallout at Memphis. With kids transferring out and their recruits opening back up their recruiting, I wonder if DK's relationship with players and recruits can bring a Memphis transfer or commit to UMass. A Wes Witherspoon or Angel Garcia would be nice.

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:26 pm

kdogg8173 wrote:http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story ... v=menu59_4

Ok so Cal has supposedly agreed to go to UK. 2 players are headed there too. UK just got a haul.
I dont see why Cal would take Witherspoon and Sallie. Unless alot of players leave Kentucky, he doest have room for them plus the incoming kids.

DK20
Sophomore

Post by DK20 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Now that this move is confirmed, what is actually going to happen with the Memphis return game next year? Will it still be played?
Will it potentially be in Amherst opposed to Boston?

If this game is cancelled, what is the chance of getting a home and home with Kentucky in the upcoming years?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:35 pm

Terrible news... I support Cal in what he does, but it is tough to root for him as a Wildcat.

Minutemaniac74
Senior

Post by Minutemaniac74 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:37 pm

For the second time in three years, a Kentucky job opening is going to end up screwing UMass out of a marquee game in Boston. Hopefully Coach Cal can find a way to bring his new squad up to Boston

umahoopband14
Sophomore

Post by umahoopband14 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:40 pm

Chris20 wrote:No, it makes Kellogg the #1 candidate at Memphis.
Although Chris seems to think this makes sense, its just not going to happen, there is two reasons why coaches leave either they can have a better situation example Travis Ford, or they get fired. Also, DK was a first year head coach, TF had prior coaching experience before coming here. Even if I was the Memphis AD I wouldn't even look at DK as a possibility.

Even though we didn't make the NIT this year is Memphis minus all the Cal players better than us with all our new players coming in. This being said I'm thinking that the Memphis game will still happen especially if a Tony Barbee for example goes to Memphis. Tyreke will leave for the NBA and Cals recruits will go to Kentucky.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Are you guys incapable of seeing the winking smiley face Chris included with his post? He was kidding!

However, Gary Parrish is reporting that Cal will push for Tony Barbee to be named at Memphis.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:45 pm

I am very happy for Cal and not at all suprised by his decision to go. It is true it will greatly diminish our game vs Memphis, but I would not be suprised if Kentucky comes to Boston - if not next year, then in the following year. After all Kentucky really owes us a game. A game in the Garden vs Kentucky would be an absolute sell out (albeit a probable beating).

As for Derrick at Memphis, I would say that absolutely will not happen. Number 1 I would expect that Memphis would go after a more experienced coach. The fact that they can pay millions to a candidate, would open up the door for many candidates with more experience than Derrick.

The real loser here today, unfortunately for them is Memphis. Calipari made that program and they had a chance for a great year next year. Without Cal they are a team in a terrible conference.

All in all I am delighted for Cal.